Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    as I've said, it's completely un-excusable for palm to make the 700w, funded in part by verizon for their exclusive, and then turn around and release the better one to sprint. Yes, I'm a sprint fanboy, but this is poor buisness practices by palm. You all need to complain to verizon about it, and verizon needs to do something about it...
    I totally agree...Palm tends to put its head in the sand when EVERYONE else that was familiar with the specs knew the 700W memory would be lacking. It is a regular practice for palm.

Even before the 650 hit the shelves the larger file chunk memory defect of the NVFS was known to anyone who care to look. A HUGE mistep.

Love my 700P but that is definately a company in need of a public change in strategy.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    as I've said, it's completely un-excusable for palm to make the 700w, funded in part by verizon for their exclusive, and then turn around and release the better one to sprint. Yes, I'm a sprint fanboy, but this is poor buisness practices by palm. You all need to complain to verizon about it, and verizon needs to do something about it...
    Shadowmite I have allways been a fan of your work and insight but I have to disagree with you here.......

The 700w was Palms first attempt at a WM5 smartphone. I trully think they (palm) thought the amount of memory in the 700w was going to be enough. I think thay underestimated the "memory hogging" capabilities of WM5. I will admit....they goofed! But did that goof render the phone inoperable? No, it ment that a 700w power user would have to heavily monitor their memory consumption. The average non-power user does not even notice the 32MB. Palm is good a fixing there goofs, we saw it with the first treo 650 rom update that fixed memory issues. But unfortunately the 700w can't be fixed with a rom update. The 700w works well as a PDA phone, but it is almost a year old. The 700wx is an upgrade that will just work better......and that boils down to verizon users being jealous, not treated unfairly.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    I agree with Shadowmite, Palm made an inexcusable mistake. Whether or not it's their first or tenth WM Treo, that doesn't mean that they can't do a little research and testing and figure out that WM5 with 32MB of RAM (25 to be exact) may not work too well. Also giving Verizon exclusivity and then turning around and releasing a much better model (which could easily cause Verizon to lose some customers) probably will damage Palm's relationship with Verizon. Personally, I think this could all have been solved if Palm did the right thing to begin with and put in the right amount of RAM.
    It is a year old, it is time for an update. WOuld you rather see them keep selling a 700w that is well known to not have enough memory? Or do an upgrade to fix it? It might not be the best news for 700w owners, but the 700wx is going to help Windows Mobile Treos a lot, it is great that Palm fixed it so fast. Look at how long in between the 600, 650 and 700p there was before upgrades, we waited years. Palm thought it was enough RAM, do you really think they did this intentionally? The Treo 700w is one of the best Windows Mobile devices, they want to keep bettering them. I wish they did this with Palm OS Treo's.
    Jimmie Geddes
    BTW, is the only difference between the 700w & 700wx the extra memory?
    Quote Originally Posted by RichKlein View Post
    BTW, is the only difference between the 700w & 700wx the extra memory?
    As far as I know, yes. There's really no difference except for the memory configuration.
    No difference
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12