Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod
    I saw where some are saying that. But I have not seen any hard evidence. Is it true?
    Says 128MB... 64 available storage.. that is 64 for program memory....

or are you missing something on the data sheet??? it was verified by the guy on the other thread who provided the box photos and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by cocokola
    phone as a modem required? what does that mean
    It means that if you want to use your 700wx as a modem for your laptop, you have to pay Sprint $$ for the data transmittal; they have a plan for that, usually business customers don't mind.

Of course if you want to go the cheap/free-way, you can try:

http://www.junefabrics.com/

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Barakan
    It means that if you want to use your 700wx as a modem for your laptop, you have to pay Sprint $$ for the data transmittal; they have a plan for that, usually business customers don't mind.

Of course if you want to go the cheap/free-way, you can try:

http://www.junefabrics.com/

Cool - Good to know that PDAnet will work with the 700wx. (?) love that app

Now I'd love to know if there is REALLY as GPS on this thing. How cool would that be! I'm still using my 600.. I can't wait any longer for new models.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    It means that you can use your phone as a modem for your laptop.
    If it's not GSM I could care less. The 8525 and Treo 750 should be out soon. Based on what I have read, I may go with the 8525. Depends on the Treo configuration.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    if it has GPS and twice the ram and stays in the same form factor. i'll be pissed.
    Why? You've had your 700w for a long time, right? Having an improved 700w offered by other (and low cost) carriers is a good thing for all of us who already have 700ws. More apps will be developed which might also run on old 700w. Also, more accessories will be available at lower prices.

I hope the 700wx is 10 times better than the 700w.
    Quote Originally Posted by mkjellman
    if it has GPS and twice the ram and stays in the same form factor. i'll be pissed.
    Looks like you'll be half-pissed. I read in another thread here that the GPS is not really what it seems.
    I don't know why anyone expects the 700wx to have GPS, it's just a 700w with more program memory. I don't expect Palm to put GPS on a Treo for another generation at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevante
    I don't know why anyone expects the 700wx to have GPS, it's just a 700w with more program memory. I don't expect Palm to put GPS on a Treo for another generation at least.
    I think it's extremely unlikely to get GPSR in there for longer than that without substantially increasing the size and cost of the unit.
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasDave555

or are you missing something on the data sheet??? it was verified by the guy on the other thread who provided the box photos and such.
    Sorry TexasDave555. I read the data sheet. I just remember when the 700w came out there were soooooooo many 'data sheets' that had confusing specifications. I just wanted a little more proof. But I'll take the sheet at its word.
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Go watch the video mentioned in another thread. The GPS isn't real GPS, just location based services capable.
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasDave555

I think there is confusion (for some folks) between program memory (RAM) and storage memory (Flash memory--non-volatile--persistent storage, etc.). There is indeed 64MB of program memory (RAM for actual running programs). There is a total of 128MB of Flash memory, of which 64MB is available for program storage (like a hard drive).

What the data sheet doesn't actually mention is the program memory (RAM). The original marketing spin with the Verizon release of the 700w also neglected to mention the amount of actual RAM in the device. We found out the hard way that it only had 32MB of RAM (which doesn't compare favorably with other WinMobile devices on the market). They did the same thing (marketing-wise) with this current data sheet for the 700wx and only mention the storage memory and how much of it is free to use. They still neglect to mention the RAM (program memory).

So what we have is 128MB of Flash (non-volatile) memory which stores the Operating System and our programs. 64MB of it is free for us to use. It also has an additional 64MB of Random Access Memory (RAM) to actually run the programs (multitasking, etc.) 57MB free (according to the video)...as opposed to the 32MB of RAM that the 700w contains.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    It is my understanding that the GPS that they are talking about is only for tracking the phone and will not interface with programs like TomTom.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    I don't care about the GPS. I just want more memory.
    I'd like to know if BT headsets actually pair as a "headset" and not a "hands free" device on this phone.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12