Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat
    Exachange activesync is the answer. Hopefully one day you won't need exchange server SP 2 to do this, just I have mail2web hosting my email for free, so it was even cheaper than chatter

I tried it, and I don't think it's the answer. Outlook Mobile and FlexMail were so buggy, slow and inconsistent I yearned for the days of Chatter and eventually came back. Both OSs have glaring deficiencies, it's just a matter of which deficiencies you are willing to live with at the time.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    1. AIM chat - just search the 700w forum for "AIM" or "AOL Instant Messaging" and you'll find several (e.g. Agile). I prefer to use SMS or launch the old (free) AIM app.
    2. You don't need a tool like Font Smoother since WM uses native Windows fonts. I just copy the desired fonts from my laptop and use them on my handheld.
    3. TCPMP is also written for the WM platform. Goggle "TCPMP" and you'll see this:
    The Core Pocket Media Player is an open-source media player for Palm OS-based and Windows CE / Windows Mobile-based devices.
    I use TCPMP, WM10, or another freebie - GSPlayer.
    I got my 700p on the 8th of Aug (300 discount from sprint retention). It came a week later by mail. If the 700wx, which is what i really want is available on 3rd of Sept., what can / should I do. I should have 30 days to return. Will they do a swap at a major store. Or do i need to call in and ask. I shouldn't be charged more for it? right?
    Quote Originally Posted by neill
    Are there 700W equivalents, either natively, or as an add-on, for AIM chat (Toccer), anti-aliased fonts (Font Smoother), and Div-X video viewing (TCMP)?
    Well, you have Verichat for the PPC that is just like the one for Palm except that you get GoogleTalk with it

Anti-aliased fonts: you have ClearType which can be enabled/disabled

And yeah, TCPMP is for WM too.

Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    I tried it, and I don't think it's the answer. Outlook Mobile and FlexMail were so buggy, slow and inconsistent I yearned for the days of Chatter and eventually came back. Both OSs have glaring deficiencies, it's just a matter of which deficiencies you are willing to live with at the time.
    As a former user of Chatter, I use VGSMail everyday. It's tiny (< 600kb), simple and is just an Imap/Idle interface between your server and pOutlook. No exchange needed and is a one-time fee of $21 for the program. It doesn't have all the "features" (bells and whistles) of chatter but for pure Push, it just plain works and I highly recommend.

OTOH, Flexmail 2006 was awful on WM5 but Flexmail *2007* was completely re-written and is much, much faster that it's predecessor. It's a release candidate now but should be gold any day. I recommend for people to give that a shot as well (though I prefer the simplicity of VGSMail).
    Last edited by Malatesta; 08/21/2006 at 07:43 PM.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by neill
    Are there 700W equivalents, either natively, or as an add-on, for AIM chat (Toccer), anti-aliased fonts (Font Smoother), and Div-X video viewing (TCMP)?
    Aim = IM+ (this works brilliantly) Agile seemed a little clunky.

Font smoother = built in Clear Type app. (i also use it to gain more real estate by going smaller font)

TCPMP also works on WM5.0
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Outlook mobile being buggy? Configured with Exchange I've haven't seen many problems at all.
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    Thanks so much for feedback- with pushed, fully integrated Exchange, native Clear Type, a choice of IM apps, and cross-platform TCMP, WM5 is looking better by the minute!

Can someone please comment on the differences in resolution between the 700p and 700w, particularly when viewing videos or watching MobiTV? Are images discernably worse on the 700w?
    "Outlook mobile" is not "exchange activesync." But if you don't have access to exchange servers in your network then I agree, chatter is better. Wireless sync is just as buggy as chatter though, you might like that the same.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat
    "Outlook mobile" is not "exchange activesync." But if you don't have access to exchange servers in your network then I agree, chatter is better. Wireless sync is just as buggy as chatter though, you might like that the same.
    i dont know outlook mobile. is that the same as pocket oulook.

i use 4smartphone. it sync my contacts, calendar, task, email, instantly. anytime i change something at work, home, or on my phone, it all gets synced togheter. i have had it for like 5 months now and never had a problem. it is my best purchase for about $6.00 a month. you get a copy of 2003 outlook sp2 with that as well.
    Did you have any trouble migrating your old mail, or setting up your 4smartphone.com account?
    Two reasons for me to switch:

1) Bluetooth. I don't feel like playing "what bluetooth headset might work" forever

2) being able to lock the keypad during a call so you can holster the phone and safely not worry about it hanging up. Treoguard did this for me on the 600 and 650, but it doesn't work on the 700, the developer is no longer responsive, and it annoys the living daylights out of me.

3) since I do work in an exchange environment Activesync is my friend; I get annoyed at having to run 'sync all' 2 or 3 times with VersaMail to make sure I'm fully synced.

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by bm_masri
    for threaded Text you can use this free app. it will work on 700w/700wx. WILL NOT WORK ON 6700

http://benhirashima.com/software/
    Maybe it's just me, but I'm looking at the site and it lists the 6700 as compatible....
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Levin View Post
    Two reasons for me to switch:

2) being able to lock the keypad during a call so you can holster the phone and safely not worry about it hanging up. Treoguard did this for me on the 600 and 650, but it doesn't work on the 700, the developer is no longer responsive, and it annoys the living daylights out of me.

Steve
    i went to Prefs/keyguard/ and there i was able to dissable touch screen when incomming calls recieved and while on call. i don't know if the 600 or 650 had this but the 700p does. works great for me. i just hope the 700wx has it.
    Does anyone know if the 700wx will have the same EVDO problem as the 6700? Not being able to receive calls when on the web would really suck. The 700p allows you to receive calls but the newer 6700s do not.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000 Man View Post
    Does anyone know if the 700wx will have the same EVDO problem as the 6700? Not being able to receive calls when on the web would really suck. The 700p allows you to receive calls but the newer 6700s do not.
    I'm sure we'll have to wait untill someone activates one of the wx before well know for sure. this is a must for me as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by codyppc View Post
    i went to Prefs/keyguard/ and there i was able to dissable touch screen when incomming calls recieved and while on call. i don't know if the 600 or 650 had this but the 700p does. works great for me. i just hope the 700wx has it.
    On the 700p it doesn't disable the red 'end call' button. So if anything hits that button during the call, it hangs up.

On the 600 and 650, I used Treoguard. I would hit any key, which would wake the screen up, and then I could unlock it, and then hang up. It also allowed me to toggle the screen.

As it stands, you cannot put a 700p in a holster during a call and be sure it might not end the call if it gets bumped.

Steve
    I'm going for this. I have the 700p and it's plagued with resets, bluetooth issues, and bottom line, Palm OS is antiquated. I'm a tech consultant and I need something fresh and user friendly, and the majority of people I connect with have a Windows Mobile device.

The absolute seller for this device is 4smartphone pro version. This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for. I've had instances where I sync to my desktop and entries come in double or cancel each other out, a contact doesn't sync, etc.

Also, I only sync my 700p with my desktop to avoid problems. I run into a problem when I take my laptop on the road with me. If I want to do an email, I need to open my Palm, find the contact, and then type it into Outlook on my laptop. With 4smartphone, I can do everything on my laptop as if I was on my desktop which is a huge time saver for me.

Have you ever had those times where you put a task in Outlook but don't sync your Palm right away, so if you go out you don't get the alert? If I invest in this, that problem is eliminated.

I hope I can sell my 700p and at least get half back of what I spent on it to cover the cost of the 700wx with Sprint. I look forward to buying it on the 27th!
    That 240x240 is killing it for me. Otherwise I would consider the thought.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    That 240x240 is killing it for me. Otherwise I would consider the thought.
    Have you looked at the 700w? It actually does pretty good at 240x240.
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat View Post
    PICTURE MAIL will most likely be setup in pocket outlook under an account called MMS that you can't delete. Thats how the 6700 is and the 700w also. It's easy to use and just as feature-enabled as default picture mail. I have no issues with it for Verizon...
    Verizon's smartphones are set up a little differently than their Sprint counterparts in this regard. I don't have one but some1 else can confirm or deny this...
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast