Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42
  1.    #1  
    Let me know what you think of my latest blog post titled, "Is this the green light for a WiFi equipped Treo Smartphone?". I layout my reasoning why I feel that there is a strong chance that future Windows Mobile Treos will include WiFi.

    http://stockoperator.livejournal.com/

    Cheers,
    Brandorr
  2. #2  
    Don't hold your breath. Palm seems to have made it a habit of providing last year's technology at next year's prices. To incorporate such a new chipset has not been a part of their modus operandi.

    Also, you are assuming that the reason for non-delivery of WiFi is the power consumption. I'm not sure that's the real reason. I think the antiquated Palm OS architecture is the culprit.
  3. #3  
    Well it would justify the 50 incremeant over the 700 number. There is not much different between the 700wx and the 750 besides the radio. Unless they add something else.

    Again, I will believe it when I hold it in my hands.
  4. #4  
    don't forget the vodaphone treo has the wm mobile wi-fi icon at the top of the screen.

    so me thinks wi-fi
  5. jbcross's Avatar
    Posts
    219 Posts
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr
    Let me know what you think of my latest blog post titled, "Is this the green light for a WiFi equipped Treo Smartphone?". I layout my reasoning why I feel that there is a strong chance that future Windows Mobile Treos will include WiFi.

    http://stockoperator.livejournal.com/

    Cheers,
    Brandorr
    Thanks.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=118491
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbcross
    Your point?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by treo...not!
    Also, you are assuming that the reason for non-delivery of WiFi is the power consumption. I'm not sure that's the real reason. I think the antiquated Palm OS architecture is the culprit.
    Ummm... If you read the post, I am speculating that future Windows Mobile devices will have integrated WiFi. (Not PalmOS.)

    P.S. - Power consumption is afterall Palm Inc's stated reason for not releasing Treos with WiFi.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr
    Your point?
    I don't know about his point.

    But here's mine. When I look at the URL for your website it tells me that you care about moving the stock price up and down.

    I think we here at TC care more about the phones themselves than Palm stock. For me at least, Palm's stock price is a spectator sport, not a participation sport. It's clearly different for you, and you're welcome to it.

    Maybe I feel a teensy-weensy bit as if TC is being used for personal gain.

    Maybe I'm wrong and you're just a Treo fan with a stock-picker website.

    But in that case you'd be doing your Treo fan posting here without trying to bring in the stock-picker website side of things, just as I carefully leave my professional stuff outside of TC.

    You're welcome to post this stuff, and I don't make the rules. That's just my reaction.

    And I hope that it does have builtin wifi.
  9. jbcross's Avatar
    Posts
    219 Posts
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    #9  
    "Originally Posted by Brandorr
    Let me know what you think of my latest blog post titled...."

    I addressing your question above with the link to your last Nostradamus like post.
  10. ls3mach's Avatar
    Posts
    659 Posts
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr
    Your point?
    Here is my take on what he meant by the post (take offense to this or don't, I don't really care):

    Basically he is saying you are full of **** and just post random speculations that are less than an educated guess, but you try to back them up to make them look like legitimate insight.

    Also, I have the same problem with your post plugging some retard site as I did when Jimmy was doing it (Gharrod called him out on it and I agreed).

    If I am off basis and noone else takes these post this way someone jump in and correct me.
  11. TazUk's Avatar
    Posts
    689 Posts
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    #11  
    Looks like site pimping to me to
  12.    #12  
    Ok, two things.. here's my theory again without the link. to my site.

    "Engadget reports that Marvell has introduced it's first single chip Bluetooth/WiFi chipset. (Press release) This would drastically reduce the power consumption requirements of adding WiFi support to a design that currently encorporates Blue Tooth.. Might this be the missing technology piece that Palm has been waiting for to introduce a WiFi enabled Treo?

    If this is true, I'd expect that their upcoming Windows Mobile Treos might be the first to receive this significant upgrade.

    Marvell currently produces the X-Scale processor that currently powers all Treos."
    Second. What do you guys think of the theory. (You guys are the real experts, and I'm just an obsessed Treo fan, with an overactive imagination. (I own a 650, and 700w and a 700p).)

    I spend alot of time pondering the Treo, and try to figure out what Palm is up to.

    I was wrong about the Blackberry thing. But I think that this Marvell announcement is the missing link, in the WiFi enabled Treo story.

    The timing is right, and the next Treo is aimed at Europe, where there is no unmetered internet access. Because of this, almost all smartphones have WiFi. Also the leaked Microsoft picture of the Vodaphone Treo has a WiFi icon. Add to that the statement by Ed Colligan that battery life is the primary reason they haven't added WiFi to their Treos yet.

    This all leads me to think that the next Windows Mobile Treo will have wifi. Any reasons why it won't?

    P.S. - I am a buy and hold type of investor. Don't do much trading... I've held Palm since last November, and temporily became rich, and now I am back to not being rich. But I have an unshakeable faith that the Treo is going to be the biggest phenomenon in Personal Computing since the original 8 bit PCs hit the street. Both as a technologist an an investor, I am hooked on Palm.
    Last edited by Brandorr; 08/20/2006 at 10:08 AM.
  13. DHart's Avatar
    Posts
    273 Posts
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    Here is my take on what he meant by the post (take offense to this or don't, I don't really care):

    Basically he is saying you are full of **** and just post random speculations that are less than an educated guess, but you try to back them up to make them look like legitimate insight.

    Also, I have the same problem with your post plugging some retard site as I did when Jimmy was doing it (Gharrod called him out on it and I agreed).

    If I am off basis and noone else takes these post this way someone jump in and correct me.
    ls3mach -


    I think you are right on the money. When someone makes a self-serving assertion, cites what is assumed to be third party support for the assertion and it turns out the third party support is his own website, I have a real problem with that.

    Brandorr -

    If you have a point to make spit it out openly as your own. It will be accepted or torn apart on its merits like every other idea here.
  14. DHart's Avatar
    Posts
    273 Posts
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    #14  
    I hope you are right.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbcross
    "Originally Posted by Brandorr
    Let me know what you think of my latest blog post titled...."

    I addressing your question above with the link to your last Nostradamus like post.
    Good call.
  16.    #16  
    All I am saying is that Palm's stated reason for not having WiFi in their Treos, has been resolved by Marvell. (Battery life) Palm also stated they definately had plans for WiFi when "the time was right". I am speculating that the release of this low-power combination Wifi/BlueTooth chip makes now the right time.

    This is, after all, the forum to discuss "future Treos". If you choose to bash me, when I am on topic, and backing my speculatations with solid reasons, go right ahead. I just don't understand it, that's all.

    I also speculated correctly that the next Windows Mobile Treo would be called the 750, versus the 700i, which was what everyone else on Treocentral was calling it.
  17. vw2002's Avatar
    Posts
    904 Posts
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    #17  
    when's the rimm/palm merger again, brandorr?
    I gotta have more cowbell
  18. #18  
    Is it getting hot in here? I am history.
  19. #19  
    I really don't care much for Wi-Fi, as long as I can get some good speeds with Cingular.

    But I also understand the needs of some people that will really use Wi-Fi.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandorr
    All I am saying is that Palm's stated reason for not having WiFi in their Treos, has been resolved by Marvell. (Battery life) Palm also stated they definately had plans for WiFi when "the time was right".
    Since Palm can't even get the memory configuration right in the first 3-4 tries in a Treo (Palm or Windows), why would you think (short of forelorn hope) they have any intention of installing a functioning wifi? To help you out here, "the time is right" is a Palm euphamism for "when monkeys fly out of our butts."
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions