Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Hi,

I've owned several different palm/pocketpc devices over the years and have a question or two about memory differences with the 700w and my prior devices...

1. prior devices allowed me to keep at least 4 or 5 programs or more (depending on size) open simultaneously... the treo seems to shut down programs beyond 1 or 2... is there a reason why it does this?

2. prior pocket pic devices allowed me to manually adjust memory allocation is that no longer an option in windows mobile 5?

3. The amount of free memory after soft reset for progams always shows around 6meg where the other devices were north of 30... is that typical for the 700w?

4. reading the same 1 gig sd card in the treo vs. other devices is significantly slower...sometimes not at all unless I arrange documents, programs, etc on the card in much smaller sub directories... never had to do that before...is that a normal experience for the 700w?

5. somehow during a sd card swap I inadvertantly created a storage card and a storage card1... both are accessible one only contains ie explorer history.... does anyone know what I could have done to cause this and what should I do about it if anything?

thanks to anyone who takes the time to read and respond...

Dadguy
    Last edited by DadGuy; 08/15/2006 at 05:35 PM. Reason: typo in header
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    oh sheesh... bad typing on the subject header... 799 should have said 700... just thought I'd tell myself that first before the barrage...lol
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Hi there...I hope my typo didn't scare you smart people off! I figure that the memory allocation is just not available anymore...I'm guessing it's become dynamic...but I"m still hoping for answers from someone or someones on the rest... thanks in advance...

DadGuy
    I think you can edit your topic title...try that and you may get some responses.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    thanks cmajewsk...I learned something new thanks to you...

DadGuy
    1. depending on how memory intensive the app is will determine how many you can have open at a time. once you get down to about 5mb available it will start closing programs. This wouldn't be a problem if the Treo had the amount of memory that Palm states it has.

2. WM2003 did not have separate memory for storage and ram, so you could adjust it manually. WM5 has separate memory (Just like your PC) Program memory (ram) is the memory available for running applications. Storage Memory (Rom) is the amount of memory available for the space that your OS and programs take up (think of the hard drive in your computer).

3. Yes, this is typical for the 700w. If you disable voice command you should have more available after a reset (also see: Palm are idiots and didn't include enough RAM)

4. I don't know.......could be because Windows is more memory intensive, if that is the case see: Not enough RAM.

5. I also don't know......you could try using file explorer to delete the extra card......