1.    #1  
    Ok, so it's likely that I'm just spoiled by the relatively snappiness of the PalmOS, but I'm experiencing some massively annoying slowdowns and lags.

(My Program Memory seems to like to hang around at 8 megs or so at best, but that's a gripe for another thread after I've researched it more)

What I HAVE noticed is that I've got a pretty terrible signal in my apartment - usually one or two bars tops. This means I'm switching between EVDO and 1xRTT *constantly*. Seems like anytime my signal fluctuates everything gets to wait until the 700w has figured out what's going on with the radio signal.

So my question: anybody else experience this? Not since the bad signal battery debacles of the Treo 270 have I been so frustrated with signal!
    i know what you mean....i get between 0-2 bars in my appartment, so it flucuates between EVDO and 1x quite a bit...pretty annoying - especially since i live in Chicago, not the middle of nowhere....it also seems like as soon as you do anything with the connection, the signal strength goes WAY down....i'll be at the gym where i have FULL signal, and place a call...just to see the signal meter drop down to 1 or 2 bars. i don't know if anyone else has had this experience, but it seems strange - perhaps the device is underpowered, and when you're making a call, power is being relocated to the processor and it weakens the radio....i dunno, i'm just speculating here.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinmg
    perhaps the device is underpowered, and when you're making a call, power is being relocated to the processor and it weakens the radio....i dunno, i'm just speculating here.
    Oh man, I hope that's not it. It's not a crazy idea - the Treo 600 CDMA phones suffered from a defect that seems to always happen one year plus 1 day after you purchased it - the radio would suddenly want to draw WAY more power than the battery could provide - in spikes, and the phone would start disconnecting randomly.

I hope that's not it. I do wonder, however, if I've got a bad phone. I'm not in the middle of nowhere either - uptown minneapolis - so you'd think on the top floor of my building I'd get a better signal.
    Quote Originally Posted by septimus
    I hope that's not it. I do wonder, however, if I've got a bad phone. I'm not in the middle of nowhere either - uptown minneapolis - so you'd think on the top floor of my building I'd get a better signal.
    I'm in Chicago...the actual city...so you'd think I'd get better signal as well
    T-Mobile seemed to have good coverage when I was living in the Twin Cities, but they definitely don't have a Treo 700 yet.
    I am seeing the same thing with regard to drop in signal strength during a call. For example, at home I have one or two bars. When I take or place a call, the signal strength drops to the point that either the call is dropped or the quality is so bad that I need to hang up.

I agree that it appears that more power is being sucked by the processor than being allocated to maintaining the signal.

I do love the PDA capabilities of this device, but the quality of the phone is slowly moving me to the point where I am going to have to get a real phone.
    I've been noticing the same problem with my 700w recently. I don't have a lot of fancy apps running, turned BT off, don't have it doing activ-sync, pretty much just using it as a PDA and a phone.
    I'll have at least two bars and be in EV mode until a call comes in or I place a call. Then the signal starts to degrade. It used to work just fine and hold a signal everywhere in my apartment, now I'm having to stand near the window and hope the signal stays.
    I've also noticed the the battery starts to get really warm too. I think I'll try replacing that first and see what happens.

I noticed no one has a fix or recommendation, does that mean it's a fluke with some of these phones?
    It's only a matter of time until someone finds the 'EVDO' or 1x' only hack (like on the 6700). This forces the phone to lock into one or the other, so it doesn't switch back and forth.