1.    #1  
    I tested the remote wipe today on my treo 700W. The good news is that yes the data was successfully wiped, however my treo is now headed back to Verizon. After the remote wipe my Treo boots as far as the Treo screen and stops. Not only was the Exchange data wiped but so was the ram. I don't think this is the way it is supposed to work. As this is tested by admins Verizon should be getting alot of calls.
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    I tested remote wipe on a couple of 700w's without problems.
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
  3.    #3  
    I jumped the gun. For some reason it took 5 minutes for my phone to come back to life. I gave up set it down and letf it alone. After 5 minutes it came up . Go figure. I am now a happy camper.
    I have seen a few blog articles on the topic
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    I remember them saying on the Windows Mobile Blog (or somewhere...maybe the exchange server blog) that it takes much longer for the device to come back after a remote wipe....because it is writing random info to storage memory 5 times to make sure no data can be recovered...or something like that.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    is this remote wipe built in functionality or a 3rd party add on?
    If you use Exchange Server it can be done from the server. If not ya need a 3rd party app.
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    yup... you also need the latest firmware on your device that includes MSFP.
    How could you do this if you have 4smartphone.net? I would like some sort of remote data wipe if I lost my phone. The built in self destruct sounds cool.

How do you do this?
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    They would have to have the windows mobile toolkit installed and give you access.
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Debo
    is this remote wipe built in functionality or a 3rd party add on?
    There is a 3rd party app that allows you to do this from any mobil phone. You can lock the phone, unlock, wipe the phone and the card. It's called RemoteProtect from scpsoft. They were knocking out a couple of bugs from a prior version that affected the TreoW and I understand it should be available in a week or so. It's a steal at ~$15.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt
    There is a 3rd party app that allows you to do this from any mobil phone. You can lock the phone, unlock, wipe the phone and the card. It's called RemoteProtect from scpsoft. They were knocking out a couple of bugs from a prior version that affected the TreoW and I understand it should be available in a week or so. It's a steal at ~$15.
    I've been beta testing it for them, not a bug per se, it was geared more to GSM phones and as such was generally expecting to see a SIM card, they've been tweaking it to work with CDMA phones. It's pretty cool, I was able to completely wipe my phone remotely (after taking multiple Sprite backups just to be sure I could restore) just by sending a specially worded message from another phone.

One thing I tried was sending the messages from Verizon's www.vtext.com, which sends an SMS from the vtext web page to a phone. This didn't appear to work, the remoteProtect messages only worked if sent from another actual phone. They're looking into why a message sent from vtext.com won't work, ie. what's different about it? They had never thought to try this before.

Other than the above quirk, it seems to be working, so it should be released relatively soon.

I'm not under an NDA so I think it's ok to talk about this.

Dean
    Last edited by buzzword; 08/08/2006 at 06:58 PM.