Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    I'm definitely a "do heavy research before buying" kind of guy and I've made mind my mind up to get a 700. I really the 700w. I'm used to windows and really prefer that interface over the palm OS. Now I can do all the things I need to do with either OS. Web browsing, POP email, using ringtones created by me and assigning them to contacts.

I'm just a little leary of some the issues I hear about the 700w. Mostly things like having PIE just close when another program is running with it. A fix was posted, stated it works, but then people said it doesn't. I've seen people on the forums stating they use programs like MemMaid and sktools to free up memory and such. How often do these program closeouts happen and is it really THAT bad? I really rather go with the w, but if it's only going to run one proggie at a time I could be using the p.. Any input is appreciated.
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    I use Memaid and PIE never closes on me. I generally do a soft reset during the middle of the day (lunch) and I'm fine. Obviously there will be others that have different experiences but I've been pretty happy.

D
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    PIE has never closed on me. Trust me, get the 700W. It's awesome. I use Memaid and SKtools and they help.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    I also would say get the 700w, I have never had any issues. If you take care of it, run your memory saving apps in whatever form you feel comfortable with it will run well. PIE would close in cases where you are using to man apps at once or never do a hard reset. I think WM 5 closes apps when the memory gets down around 5 megs. If I don't reset I hit that, if I do a once a day reset, no problems at all.
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    PIE has never closed on me. I run Oxios Hibernate, and also Space Reclaimer every now and then. I don't NEED to soft reset daily, and I've gone nearly 3 weeks before actually soft resetting, but I've gotten into the habit to just do it every other night. It's like reseting your computer.

I love my 700w. After installing java, and now having google maps on my device, as well as Pocket Informant, my device can do ANYTHING!
    well.. not anything.
    I've never had PIE close on me, either. I don't run any memory cleaning apps. The software update and sprite's daily backup and reset solved my memory problems.

It's a great device. I can't believe I used to bother with a pda and cell phone and I don't miss palm os at all.
    One thing I have learned in running a WM5 device is that a soft-reset once or twice a day is essential to keeping everything running "normal". so ... pick a convenient time and tap the reset key. You'll be more stable for it.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    I'd read as many reviews as you can and then try them out at an "all carriers" brick and mortar and see which one suits you.

http://www.pcmag.com/compare_product...&pt=0&sid=1713
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1966264,00.asp
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1911101,00.asp

The advances in the Treo 700p are in software. It takes the 700w's advantages—fast EV-DO networking and a 1.3-megapixel camera—and marries them to the latest in easy-to-use Palm OS software. Yes, the Palm OS is getting old; most notably, it doesn't support multitasking, which is annoying when you're downloading e-mail and want to do something else. But it's still tremendously responsive and requires relatively few keypresses or stylus taps to do what you wan
    The most usable one-handed Pocket PC, the Palm Treo 700w, will be welcome in Microsoft-dominated workplaces looking for an e-mail-oriented phone that works with the latest Exchange servers. We can't recommend it as enthusiastically for individual consumers, because it isn't quite as easy to use as the Treo 650 and doesn't take advantage of all the power the Windows Mobile platform has to offer. The Treo 700w is a slightly uncomfortable compromise, but one you can accept cheerfully if your IT department chooses it for you. The new Treo looks exactly like its Editors' Choice predecessor, the much-beloved Treo 650.

The 65MB of available storage memory offers enough room for programs, but the 11MB of available program memory is much too small. We got frequent "out of memory" errors and had to go an extra step to close programs. The low memory may also explain why our Treo 700w crashed several times, requiring resets.

The 312-MHz processor is okay for day-to-day use, but we noted it got slower results on all of our benchmark tests than the competing PPC-6700. Battery life, at 6 hours 15 minutes of continuous video playback, was good for a Pocket PC phone.

The 240-by-240 screen is just a bad idea. Palm told us it's working with software companies to make sure that Pocket PC programs, which are written mostly for 320-by-240 screens, work on the square screen. But we had one error message run off the screen when we were testing. The screen has 25 percent less space than standard 320-by-240 Pocket PCs and 44 percent less than the 320-by-320 Treo 650. There's no upside to that.

You can compare the Treo 700w against its predecessor, the 650, or against other Windows Mobile handhelds. The Palm OS used in the Treo 650 still requires fewer taps and clicks than Windows Mobile, uses less battery power in PDA mode, and feels zippier with the 312-MHz processor.

Windows Mobile's strengths are in the integration with Microsoft workplaces and in high-end features like video playback, Wi-Fi/cellular convergence, high-res screens, powerful processors, and glamorous games. But the Treo 700w's 240-by-240 screen consigns videos to a cramped window (or to having their sides clipped off); there's no Wi-Fi (though EV-DO is nice); and the processor isn't all that fast.
    I rarely reset (once ever month). I have alot of applications running. I use Oxios Hibernate (FREE) to claim memory. PIE runs good does not close. It only close if you enable Voice COmmand which is memory hungry.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    i've had a lackluster experience with my W. I've got exactly 4 programs installed and even those I use rarely. I do a backup w/ soft reset daily and PIE still closes on me when I switch from outlook to PIE. The phone quality is sub-par and will drop your calls if you are using the PDA functionality as calls come in. in fact, I have lost count as to how many calls that this phone doesn't pick up after I repeatedly hit the answer key. I hang out here desperately clinging to hope via the users here or another palm patch. if I hadn't spent so much money on this device I would have dumped it by now.

oh and this is my second one as I took the first one back due to the same symptons above...
    I own both and like the P better then the W. I really like WM5 and the Treo integration, but it's still not as solid as the P. I do believe the W has ton of upside for the future. I too have grown tired of a legacy OS, but still feel its the best out there at this point in time. There is ton I like about the WM5 OS and would love to see those features in the POS, but I will have to wait for future versions.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    The feedback has been great.. Thanks to all of you... A couple questions tho.. When y'all say do a soft reset, that's just a power cycle, or is there some sort of soft reset button.. And I understand that a hard reset delete's ya data and a soft reset doesn't.. How is a hard reset performed on the 700w..

Btw... I will be on Sprint's network
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Soft reset for the 700W right out of the box can be performed by either pressing the button in the back of th phoen (after you remove the battery cover of course). Other way is to simply remove the battery. I use a 3rd party app, (SBP Pocket Plus), that adds a soft reset button on my today screen. Makes it really easy to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Uneek
    The feedback has been great.. Thanks to all of you... A couple questions tho.. When y'all say do a soft reset, that's just a power cycle, or is there some sort of soft reset button.. And I understand that a hard reset delete's ya data and a soft reset doesn't.. How is a hard reset performed on the 700w..

Btw... I will be on Sprint's network

That's correct, hard reset will bring the Treo back to factory settings. This can be performed the same way as all other treos. While holding the power button stick the stylus in the reset hole under the battery cover.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone