Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1.    #1  
    I live in New Jersey and have my Home time zone set to Eastern, but the system keeps correcting it to Caracas! Why is that? The time is correct, but why won't it stay on Eastern?
  2. kvcobra's Avatar
    Posts
    446 Posts
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    #2  
    Caracas is in the Eastern Time Zone. Is it just that you don't like the Caracas label, or am I missing something?

    Edit: Yep, I'm missing something. Caracas is actually in the Atlantic Time Zone but doesn't observe Daylight Saving Time, so it's the same time as Eastern during DST. Dunno the solution. Sorry.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

    Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
  3.    #3  
    Yea - it's the same time so it's totally fine... but it's just strange that the network keeps changing it to that as opposed to where I actually am - EST...
  4. kvcobra's Avatar
    Posts
    446 Posts
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    #4  
    ... But it won't be fine once October hits and Daylight Saving Time ends. AST = EDT, but AST = EST + 1.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

    Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
  5. kvcobra's Avatar
    Posts
    446 Posts
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    #5  
    OK, I officially admonish you for not searching before posting. I knew this sounded familiar...

    Do a search for "Caracas" in the 700w forum and you'll find several relevant threads. Basically, VZW's network time settings are notoriously bad, so the workaround is to disable the network time update. If you don't know how to do that, the search results will give you specifics.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

    Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
  6.    #6  
    Thanks a ton - Much appreciated.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by kvcobra View Post
    Basically, VZW's network time settings are notoriously bad, so the workaround is to disable the network time update.
    Nothing I do fixes this. I am on the correct time but it displays the wrong timezone. I had disabled local network time, turned the radio off, reset, syc, nothing works. It says Saskatchewan and I am in Missouri.

    Does it even matter since it displays the correct time?
  8. #8  
    So you know, once you have turned off all of that stuff, you have to set your timezone back to what it is supposed to be.
    bit_bucket
  9. #9  
    Yes with everything off it changes itself back to saskatchewan as soon as I exit the app.
  10. cocokola's Avatar
    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    #10  
    Im in MO and having the same thing happen. I switched it back to central, then my meetings were all an hour off.. I then watched my meeting times update to the corret time, but the timezone is back to saskatchewan
  11. dwg
    dwg is offline
    dwg's Avatar
    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    #11  
    Noticed the same problem. The network seems to set me to GMT-6 Saskatchewan. I cannot directly change my time zone from GMT-6 Saskatchewan to GMT-6 Central. It does not prompt me to save when I hit OK.

    To change time zone, I had to first change to GMT-6 Mexico. After hitting OK it prompts me to save. After this I am able to change it to GMT-6 Central. Sortof wierd but it worked for me.

    I also had to uncheck Use Network Time Zone to keep it from changing back again.

    Since this only seems to be a problem at my office, does this mean the tower is giving me the wrong time zone or is it a localized problem?
  12. #12  
    Hmmm,,,,,,, more clues to the mystery
  13. #13  
    I have the same issue with central time. Just thought it was something weird about my own phone but must be an issue all around. Time is still right it just moves the city around, weird!
  14. espo222's Avatar
    Posts
    73 Posts
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    #14  
    That's funny, i live in NJ too and mine does the same thing, but it shows the Indiana time zone, which is the same time as NJ.
  15. #15  
    What a weird bug to be on every time zone... what if you actually lived in the place where it goes to, I wonder if THEIRS is wrong too?
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by dwg View Post
    Noticed the same problem. The network seems to set me to GMT-6 Saskatchewan. I cannot directly change my time zone from GMT-6 Saskatchewan to GMT-6 Central. It does not prompt me to save when I hit OK.

    To change time zone, I had to first change to GMT-6 Mexico. After hitting OK it prompts me to save. After this I am able to change it to GMT-6 Central. Sortof wierd but it worked for me.

    I also had to uncheck Use Network Time Zone to keep it from changing back again.

    Since this only seems to be a problem at my office, does this mean the tower is giving me the wrong time zone or is it a localized problem?
    Correct. I had to do the same thing. I actually had to Select Central timezone enable network time...hit ok...prompt me to save...hit OK. Then go back into and disable network time zone and save again.....

    Just changing the time zone, it wouldn't prompt me to save so it would revert back....

    You need it to ask you if you want to save...then you know your time zone settings will be saved....It really sucked....It was messing up many of my all day appointments.
  17. dwg
    dwg is offline
    dwg's Avatar
    Posts
    138 Posts
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    #17  
    Another thing I don't understand is why it is impacting my appointments NOW? I accept that for some reason I am told that I am in Saskatchewan rather than Missouri. But, Saskatchewan and Missouri are both GMT-6. Even with this error in location, why would my appointments be effected?

    Also, I am still curious if anyone has an idea where the problem originates. Could this actually be the Tower I am connecting to telling me the wrong time zone? Or is it more likely something on the phone itself. This only seems to crop up as a problem at my office. At home I am autoassigned to Central US, which is correct.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by dwg View Post
    Also, I am still curious if anyone has an idea where the problem originates. Could this actually be the Tower I am connecting to telling me the wrong time zone? Or is it more likely something on the phone itself. This only seems to crop up as a problem at my office. At home I am autoassigned to Central US, which is correct.
    This phone is spooky as hell... So it knows where you are and THAT has an effect?? Just out of curiosity, turn off that "broadcast location" thingy and see if that does anything. Incidentally, my time zone stays put but some of my e-mails come and go marked an hour off.
  19. #19  
    I'm betting its a phone thing since both Sprint and Verizon people, in different time zones are complaining of this problem. Freaking weird. Haven't noticed it messing up appointments though, that makes no sense.... if it's still the right zone.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by dwg View Post
    Another thing I don't understand is why it is impacting my appointments NOW? I accept that for some reason I am told that I am in Saskatchewan rather than Missouri. But, Saskatchewan and Missouri are both GMT-6. Even with this error in location, why would my appointments be effected?
    We are being affected now, (and actually if you look at your appts. the ones affected are not until April...) it's all because of Daylight Savings Time... Saskatchewan doesn't use DST. So any appts. will be an hour off and any all day appointments will now start at 11:00pm instead of 12:00 and look like 2 day appointments.

    Quote Originally Posted by dwg View Post
    Also, I am still curious if anyone has an idea where the problem originates. Could this actually be the Tower I am connecting to telling me the wrong time zone? Or is it more likely something on the phone itself. This only seems to crop up as a problem at my office. At home I am autoassigned to Central US, which is correct.
    It's related to having the "Enable Network Time" option. There was a 'fix' or rather a statement about disabling this from Palm and Verizon last year.

    Moreover, since DST is earlier and later this year, many calendars are messed up. Run Windows Update to update WinXP to fix the DST problem on your desktop. And there is a fix for Windows Mobile Devices....read more about it here...

    http://www.edgeblog.net/2007/dayligh...ws-mobile-fix/
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions