1.    #1  
    Hello,
    I am considering a treo 700w but I need to figure out a few things first. I currently have an axim so I'm not completely lost but ...

I am interested in 4smartphone and I need to know a little more about how it works. I know that it updates through activesync. So, I am guessing that I must have activesync setup on my PC on a schedule of some sort to have it update with the server at 4smartphone. Then activesync on the treo is set up on a schedule to sync with 4smartphone? Or can I use push somehow? If the data connection isn't always on on the treo - how would push work?

Also, I would like to have both my work and home machines synced. I currently keep them that way with my axim. Would I have to have activesync running at all times on both machines as well as the treo? Is there a way I could send mail so that it would come from each account (home & work) or isn't that possible?

I know these are lots of questions, and I've probably done a terrible job of trying to explain it. After reading it ... it sounds way more complicated than it is!

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Shannon
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    It does it automatically. your PC need not be turned on. I use it and am happy with it over all. Setup was a biatch and their tech support was rude. It will sync your 700W and up to 120 (I think) folders as well as calendar. The demo wass limited so I ended up just buying it outright and haven't looked back. Subscription, $83 for 1 year, also includes full Outlook Web Access.
    Last edited by robdam; 08/03/2006 at 12:29 AM.
    i also have a 4 smartphone acct for my pop email. havnt had any problems. when you sign up they have step by step (including pictures) instructions on how to set it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by robdam
    It does it automatically. your PC need not be turned on. I use it and am happy with it over all. Setup was a biatch and their tech support was rude. It will sync your 700W and up to 120 (I think) folders as well as calendar. The demo wass limited so I ended up just buying it outright and haven't looked back. Subscription, $83 for 1 year, also includes full Outlook Web Access.
    To add to this post, they also offer a $47/ year subscription that has a few less features. Also, it includes Outlook Web Access (OWA).
    I've been using it for 4 months now. And I love it. I keep home, work, Treo, and Laptop all in sync. Whenever I turn it on and open Outlook they become instantly sync'd. (sometimes there are latency probs over my satelite connection at work, so it's not instaneous) I found set-up to be fairly straight-forward and customer service to be great.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks very much for the replies.

I am beginning to understand a little better how it works now ( I think ). I still have a question about the settings on the treo itself. Do I need to have activesync running on the treo at all times? Also, how does push work if the phone isn't constantly connected to the data service?

Also, I would like to somehow be able to reply to my "home" email using my home email account and my "work" email using my work email account...I'm worried this isn't possible ??

Thanks again,
    Shannon
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Try out 4smartphone's fullyl-functional 15 day trial to see if your email questions work out for you.

I have been using 4smartphone for 6 months now, and have had no problems so far. Changing my schedule using Web Outlook on any online computer to sync with my treo has been very useful.

My only complaint is that 4Smartphone's Web Outlook would be MUCH better if the speed was faster (i.e. navigating on your Web outlook calendar, etc). Even on my fast computers with broadband speeds, it seems slow to navigate....at least for me.
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
    Quote Originally Posted by plasmo
    My only complaint is that 4Smartphone's Web Outlook would be MUCH better if the speed was faster (i.e. navigating on your Web outlook calendar, etc). Even on my fast computers with broadband speeds, it seems slow to navigate....at least for me.
    I agree. That's one reason, why I spent the money to have the Professional version where you use Outlook Desktop version. At $6.99/month and you even get a free copy of Outlook.
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod
    I agree. That's one reason, why I spent the money to have the Professional version where you use Outlook Desktop version. At $6.99/month and you even get a free copy of Outlook.
    Interesting. The only problem is that I use many different remote computers to access my Web Outlook calendar at work. Is the Professional version of Outlook Desktop only useful on your home computer? thx
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    scollins,

Using Outlook and the $83/year level, you can send email from different accounts. The default is that all mail will come from the email address you used to setup your 4smartphone account. However, they give instructions on the website on how to send from different addresses. This cannot be done on the Treo however with the default email software. It might be possible with Flexmail.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    I can send/receive from my 4smartphone default account as well as my personal email account through Comcast. The Comcast account doesn't synch emails/folders as the default 4smartphone account does howwever. I use the Treo 700W default email application.
    Quote Originally Posted by nlowhor
    scollins,

Using Outlook and the $83/year level, you can send email from different accounts. The default is that all mail will come from the email address you used to setup your 4smartphone account. However, they give instructions on the website on how to send from different addresses. This cannot be done on the Treo however with the default email software. It might be possible with Flexmail.

Wow, wait a second, you can send email from different addresses using the outlook 2003 software? This is with the exchange account on smartphone.net right?

Please explain!!
    Ok, I found this, but dont really understand how to set it up:

How many different email addresses can I have on my account? For receiving email, you can have as many email addresses, or aliases as you need.
    For sending email, by default you can only use your account email. However, if you are a Pro or Enterprise user with Outlook, you can setup multiple virtual accounts in Outlook which will allow you to send email with different identities (or reply addresses).
    For email retrieval, our site currently allows you to setup only one POP3 or external account for retrieval.
    If you have any special need for more email accounts or identities, send us a detailed request to support@4smartphone.net.
    Quote Originally Posted by plasmo
    Interesting. The only problem is that I use many different remote computers to access my Web Outlook calendar at work. Is the Professional version of Outlook Desktop only useful on your home computer? thx
    Depends. I'm not sure how you are at work, different workstations or something. But I have (and I own) Outlook on my home computer, my work desktop, and my laptop. Whenever I open Outlook on any of those machines, (sometimes even all 3) my email, calendar, etc is all synchronized.

And Yes, with the desktop version of Outlook, you can have it download and send mail from different accounts, you just can't send and receive mail from those accounts on your Treo, yet.....watch FlexMail from WebIS...it looks promising.

And if you receive an important email from one of your other accounts that you want to carry with you, just make sure it is in your Inbox (or any folder that you have set up on your treo to sync with...you can sync all of your folders if you want to) But again, you will not receive new mail on your Treo.....wait....

I've never tried, but if you really really wanted to receive new mail from other accounts, I suppose you could leave your home computer on and have it check your other accounts and add the mail to your inbox. As they are added at home they should get added on the treo and work....Just an idea. You might need to have a rule set up to move mail from one folder to another as it arrives...I don't know....I'm just guessing. And hopefully Flexmail will solve some of those problems.
    Right now, I have 3 pop3 accounts all autoforwarding to the 4smartphone.net address.

My main account is my personal account which I tend to reply from. It would be nice to be able to reply from my business account (on my desktop outlook). How do I do that while in my exchange server mode? Is there a way to put a reply to, or make it look like it is coming from a particular email account?

I will check out flexmail also.
    Do you need a new profile in order to send from various accounts on the desktop outlook 2003 version or can it be incorperated into the main account with exchange?
    I bought a 1 year sub from 4smartphone. Overall decent experience. Their support is a bit strange, but overall I'm satisfied.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RichKlein
    Wow, wait a second, you can send email from different addresses using the outlook 2003 software? This is with the exchange account on smartphone.net right?

Please explain!!
    I can't find the page where they tell you how to do this so I'll just explain it. I think it's on a support page buried on their site somewhere though.

The default is to send from the address you used to create your 4smartphone account. When you send email using the exchange server, this will be the reply-to address.

If you want the option of making it look like the email came from a different address you must have one of their higher tier plans. Then create a new POP3 Email Account in outlook with these settings for each address you want:

Your name: whatever that happens to be
    Email Address: this is the one that it will come from and will be the reply-to
    Username: anything, doesn't matter
    Password: anything, doesn't matter
    Incoming mail server: anything, doesn't matter
    Outgoing mail server: SMTP.4smartphone.net
    Check the box for "My outgoing server requires authentication"
    Enter your 4smartphone login stuff under "Log on using"
    Incoming server port: anything
    Outgoing server port: 2525

That's it for the account.

Then go to Tools, Options, Mail Setup, Send/Receive....
    Find the account you just created and uncheck the box for Receive mail items, leave the send mail items box checked.

That should do it. Now in the new message window, click the accounts button and you'll see the option for sending from your exchange server or from this new account you created. Works like a charm for me!
    Good post nlowhor. I've also wondered about sending out from emails addresses I have forwarding to my main 4smartphone.net email. I'm goint to give that a try.

hotrod, yes, if you leave a computer on with Outlook running and it is checking the exchange and other pop accounts, when email comes into your inbox from the pop account, it will also get sent to your phone because it is syncing the inbox. I like this because when I go to lunch, I leave my work computer running so I get any emails from my work pop account on my phone right away.

I'd have to say I've very happy with 4smartphone.net's service. And their support is great. I have a problem setting it up at first and then a problem with my Outlook Address book on my laptop but both times they responded in exact details of how to correct the problem within 24hours.
    Treo700.us is now WinMobee.com. Soon to be a great resource site for all Windows Mobile phones.