1.    #1  
    I've been a lurker for a while now and have picked up some good tips for my 700w.

The one problem I have is with email. I can't stand how it deletes email from my Palm after I download it from the server onto my PC. When I had the Palm 650, it would download email to my Palm, and then when I got home I would download it to my PC and it would STAY on my Palm. That is an absolute necessity for me.

So my questions are:

1) Is there any way to get it not to delete email from the Palm once I download it off the server?

2) Are there and 3rd party email apps that can replace Pocket Outlook. I've tried to install GK Push but it refuses to work.

Thanks in advance and thanks to everyone for all the help in the past. If I can't get around this problem, I may be forced to go back to the Palm Software and give this phone up to someone else. I don't want to do that!
    Quote Originally Posted by RudeBoy
    I've been a lurker for a while now and have picked up some good tips for my 700w.

The one problem I have is with email. I can't stand how it deletes email from my Palm after I download it from the server onto my PC. When I had the Palm 650, it would download email to my Palm, and then when I got home I would download it to my PC and it would STAY on my Palm. That is an absolute necessity for me.

So my questions are:

1) Is there any way to get it not to delete email from the Palm once I download it off the server?

2) Are there and 3rd party email apps that can replace Pocket Outlook. I've tried to install GK Push but it refuses to work.

Thanks in advance and thanks to everyone for all the help in the past. If I can't get around this problem, I may be forced to go back to the Palm Software and give this phone up to someone else. I don't want to do that!
    I have a personal account at www.mail2web.com and it works great. You get an activesync Exchange mail account....and you get the Outlook web interface. I have it linked to my personal internet domain instead of their mail2web.com standard. It's very cheap and there are no setup fees! It maybe worth checking out.

Instant Email
    Calendar instantly synched
    Task instantly synched
    Contacts instantly synched

If you're logged in to the Outlook client and make a change to your contacts, calendar, or tasks...a few seconds later they are on your Treo. WONDERFUL. You will need the 1.10 Palm patch to make this work however.

Hope this helps,

Arc
    In caves all cats are gray...
    What is the difference between this and wireless sync?
    Quote Originally Posted by boboo
    What is the difference between this and wireless sync?

Wireless sync requires you to install and keep powered on your desktop computer. It forwards email.(I believe) Having an exchange account makes your Treo operate like a blackberry.

Arc
  5.    #5  
    Regarding wireless sync, I havent found a way to register more than one email address for it.
    Last edited by RudeBoy; 08/01/2006 at 11:03 PM.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arcanic
    I have a personal account at www.mail2web.com and it works great. You get an activesync Exchange mail account....and you get the Outlook web interface. I have it linked to my personal internet domain instead of their mail2web.com standard. It's very cheap and there are no setup fees! It maybe worth checking out.

Instant Email
    Calendar instantly synched
    Task instantly synched
    Contacts instantly synched

If you're logged in to the Outlook client and make a change to your contacts, calendar, or tasks...a few seconds later they are on your Treo. WONDERFUL. You will need the 1.10 Palm patch to make this work however.

Hope this helps,

Arc
    Ok, I've checked out the mail2web site and what I'm not getting is the instant email inbound / outbound that you describe above. How do they "push" your email out to you, or do you have your Treo set to check email every 5 minutes? I see that they have options for BES, but I don't see specifically where they say they'll push out to WM5 devices.

Your continued correspondence is appreciated.
  7.    #7  
    It looks like its a web-based interface, too. I'm not too sure I'd want that. Can you have several email accounts all come into one inbox with mail2web?

I'm just shocked that Versamail is so much better than anything Windows Mobile has. Email is so important to me, and Pocket Outlook is absolutely killing me with the deleting of emails. It seems like there's no solution for what I want to do.
    It looks like its a web-based interface, too. I'm not too sure I'd want that. Can you have several email accounts all come into one inbox with mail2web?

I'm just shocked that Versamail is so much better than anything Windows Mobile has. Email is so important to me, and Pocket Outlook is absolutely killing me with the deleting of emails. It seems like there's no solution for what I want to do.

First of all, has your Treo been updated to the latest 1.10 patch? If not, you will need to visit the Palm website and install it.

By installing this patch, it enables the PUSH of active sync. So, having said that...when you setup an account with web2mail.com, your email will be pushed to your phone. The only configuration you have to do is tell your active sync on your Treo to sync wirelessly with the mail2web servers. Their servers will then push your email, calendar, and task instantly. My Treo works exactly like my work blackberry now.

Arc
  9.    #9  
    cool, I'll give it a look. Outlook doesn't have an option to save all mail to the SD card, does it?
    cool, I'll give it a look. Outlook doesn't have an option to save all mail to the SD card, does it?

Not sure about ALL mail, but it can attachments....

Good luck!

Arc
  11.    #11  
    Damn, mail2web is $12 per month to handle multiple email addresses?

Unfortunately I'm getting closer and closer to returning my 700 and going back to the 650...something I really don't want to do. Basically all because of a subpar email application.

Wirelesssync doesn't work as well as I want it to, Outlook is just a complete f'n disaster and GopherKing Pushmail doesn't even work .

I'm so bummed. At least I have another week to decide. I'll try to find some other email apps.
    Last edited by RudeBoy; 08/03/2006 at 03:13 PM.
    Global Posts
    501 Global Posts
    I've been recently trying to get my email/PIM life in order on my 700W and 2 different computers. Have you looked at www.4smartphone.com for exchange hosting? I'm trying it right now and it's working brilliantly. Also, if you need more power than the builtin mail app, look at FlexMail. http://www.pocketinformant.com/produ...id=mail&dir=wm

Maybe these 2 things combined will do the things you need. Don't give up on the 700W just yet. I'm loving mine.
    Although most e-mail clients (including Outlook) can be configured to leave messages on the server for x number of days, the vast majority of people using POP pull down e-mail to their local computer and delete it from the server.

Are you doing this? If so you can configure Outlook to leave a copy of the message on the server and then it can be in both locations at once. I had the same problem with my Comcast account and home Outlook.
    This is horrible.

There are NO 3rd party email CLIENTS for WM5/Treo?

Where's the one the "Snappermail" of WM5?

It appears not to exist.

I would pay big bucks for it. Hell, if there is no Snappermail-like client for the Treo 700wx, I would chip in $500 for someone to write it.
    ok I gotta weigh in with my thoughts here.
    I have been using one form or another of Palm device for email since about 1999. Starting with my old Palm Vx with a snap on wireless modem on the back from Omnisky, to then a Kyocera 6035 and a variety of apps, to a 300 and TreoMail (anyone remember that? - it was a repackaged Handspring version of Visto's then-redirector product) to a 600 using either Business Connect or Good or even SEVEN directly from them) to a 650 running Intellisync and sometimes Good to a 700wx running Pocket Outlook and Exchange ActiveSync - I mean I've seen them all.
    and out of all of them, I like Pocket Outlook way better than any others.
    What do you need that Pocket Outlook isn't giving you? instant push - total PIM sync - subfolders - I mean it is awesome.
    Yes I'm aware that EAS is best for a user whose company runs Exchange but you can use any number of the hosted providers mentioned above.

Pocket Outlook is great to me. Everything else is just a pretender.
    Johnny,
    Poutlook has many missing things including minimal IMAP support and has no HTML support. I can go on and on but I'll let others do so. (I used Palm devices 1996-2003, BTW.)

Mike,
    There is no real 3rd party equivalent to poutlook that I can recommend. I begged the Snapper folks for a Windows Mobile port back in 2003 and they weren't interested.

I've registered FlexMail and paid for upgrades since it was WebIS with hopes that it would become stable. Some people are happy with it but I'm not one of them. Since my last hard reset, I haven't installed it.

My company uses Lotus Notes so I mostly suffer with poutlook using SEVEN (Wirelessync corrupts Notes data and Good does not support Notes). I've tried some other redirectors and so far only SEVEN doesn't corrupt my company email and PIM data.

For personal email I also suffer with poutook or occasionally use npop (UK version) http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/npopsupport/ and web-based mail. (Google for more links if interested.)
    Last edited by Beryl; 02/02/2007 at 11:49 PM.
    By the way - Good does support Notes/Domino now, since they bought JP Mobile some time back. Guess I should say "Moto supports Notes' since Moto bought Good....