Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just found this great website made for PIE that includes downloads to a CAB that will install IBM J9 Java support on our 700ws. It is the simplest way I've found so far to get java support.

In the past, I did some weird stuff to get it to work but it didn't support soft-keys. This version has soft-key support and also file extension support for jad files that will automatically install in the java manager.

After installing the J9 support, I just navigated to http://google.com/gmm and installed Google Maps. Works flawlessly. Now I'm going to try Opera Mini.

Hope this helps.

http://www.howardforums.com/showpost...22&postcount=9
    That's pretty sweet! Thx. I like the step by step directions google maps provides and the way you can select starting and ending points directly from the map. Just wish it was a little faster at zoom and that it would support the touchscreen.
    Sounds good. Mind answering a few questions?

Necessary to install to main memory?
    If so, how much space does it take?
    Does it only load when necessary or does it take up RAM?
  4.    #4  
    So far, it seems like a stand alone engine that does not reside in memory unless actively loaded. I think it takes about 1.7mb. I've loaded it on main mem. But in the past I loaded the other version I talked about on SD and it ran with similar speed, just not the same version.

Google maps runs well for me, but takes me down to around 6MB RAM with nothing else running but Activesync.

Opera runs better with the low memory version, but runs with around 4-5MB RAM left.

Running the engine by itself uses only 1-2MB and leaves me around 10MB free.
    Works great!!! There is a ton of apps we can use now we couldn't before, what are the best ones? Isn't there all sorts of live traffic apps?
    I'm kinda confused how to use this. after I install, I run midp-ams and then when it asks for the url I put in google.com/gmm?
    it gives me an error message when I do this. any thoughts?
    it keeps saying "The application descriptor was missing the required MIDlet-Name field"
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrence.c.lee
    I'm kinda confused how to use this. after I install, I run midp-ams and then when it asks for the url I put in google.com/gmm?
    it gives me an error message when I do this. any thoughts?
    Actually, just navigate to http://www.google.com/gmm in PIE on your 700w. When you select to download and install the program, it will automatically give you the option to install it in the Java engine.
    ok im lost....i get a page that says:
    Google Maps
    Google Maps may not work on your phone.
    If you'd still like to try, download Google maps for a HIGH-END PHONE or a MAINSTREAM PHONE. (US/Canada) those two are links and when i click the first one(highend phone) i get a pop up downloadscreen that says:

Download '...-Generic-
    Advanced_MIDP2_L1.jad'?

YES SAVE AS CANCEL

when i select yes or save as nothing happens......what am i missing here lol
    Quote Originally Posted by happypappy
    ok im lost....i get a page that says:
    Google Maps
    Google Maps may not work on your phone.
    If you'd still like to try, download Google maps for a HIGH-END PHONE or a MAINSTREAM PHONE. (US/Canada) those two are links and when i click the first one(highend phone) i get a pop up downloadscreen that says:

Download '...-Generic-
    Advanced_MIDP2_L1.jad'?

YES SAVE AS CANCEL

when i select yes or save as nothing happens......what am i missing here lol
    Did you install the java engine first?

I'm liking this. Now I gotta find some more java apps that I've been missing out on.
    yea someone should start a thread posting java apps.
    When I use it, I just goto start, programs, click the jvm, click on google, click on launch, don't use IE
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoBain
    Did you install the java engine first?

I'm liking this. Now I gotta find some more java apps that I've been missing out on.
    where do i install this java engine?
  14.    #14  
    Follow the link at the bottom of the first post. There are instructions to a PIE site to a download that will install the Java engine.
    i have tried twice and the page doesnt load
    Very nice app.

So basically, I start MIDP-AMS, and the launch Google Maps from within that program. Is that how it is supposed to work, or is there a way to get a Google Maps shortcut on the Today screen?

Works perfectly. Eats up some memory but you can just terminate all running programs if it's a problem.
    This works great, please post anymore Java sites.
    ok i finally have the j9 engine installed.....here is the only reason i need java....one of my email sites runs an encryption engine using java....the site is cyber-rights.net.....i went to the site and it still didnt work...any ideas?
  19.    #19  
    This doesn't support browser java but rather java applications like google maps.
    Quote Originally Posted by blulegend
    This doesn't support browser java but rather java applications like google maps.
    ahhhhhhh i see... thanks for clarifying
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast