Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 81 to 94 of 94
  1. #81  
    Google maps didn't work on my treo 700w so i installed the WLS in my storage device. how can i make it appear on the menu since its only showing me the programs installed on the main memory?

    BTW, wls is a cool app! thanks for the info about it!
  2. #82  
    i got it to work already.. thanks!!!!
  3. #83  
    Gents,
    Appreciate the previous posts. I've downloaded the java app suggested, then reloaded google maps. All seems to be working ok, except the track location function which would tell me where I was on the map. I see a small note on the screen stating: Starting GPS, but then it times out and I get an error msg. "Your GPS receiver does not appear to be responding....."

    So, it appears that the phone GPS is not talking with the google maps software. How do I fix that? I've gone through the settings>system>GPS and made sure the check box is checked allowing the software to manage the communications. However, I haven't changed any of the port settings...

    My phone is the 700wx

    Any thoughts?
  4. #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by mudrider View Post
    Gents,
    Appreciate the previous posts. I've downloaded the java app suggested, then reloaded google maps. All seems to be working ok, except the track location function which would tell me where I was on the map. I see a small note on the screen stating: Starting GPS, but then it times out and I get an error msg. "Your GPS receiver does not appear to be responding....."

    So, it appears that the phone GPS is not talking with the google maps software. How do I fix that? I've gone through the settings>system>GPS and made sure the check box is checked allowing the software to manage the communications. However, I haven't changed any of the port settings...

    My phone is the 700wx

    Any thoughts?

    The phone does not have GPS. You need a separate GPS receiver.
  5. #85  
    also there is native wm version of google maps that is much better than using google maps through java, just thought i should throw that out there
    www.google.com/gmm
  6. #86  
    So how does one go about using a GPS transceiver with Google maps??
    Grant Smith
    A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

    eNVENT Technologies
    Use your imagination.
    --
    Sprint HTC Evo 4G

    DISCLAIMER: The views, conclusions, findings and opinions of this author are those of this author and do not necessarily reflect the views of eNVENT Technologies.
  7. #87  
    GPS and google maps does not work I have tried many times and searched all over the web. I hope I am not being ignorant, but why is everyone trying to install google maps through java when google made a .cab file just for us wm users. Also Opera Mini installs and runs, but cant connect?
  8. #88  
    Quote Originally Posted by integra144 View Post
    GPS and google maps does not work I have tried many times and searched all over the web. I hope I am not being ignorant, but why is everyone trying to install google maps through java when google made a .cab file just for us wm users. Also Opera Mini installs and runs, but cant connect?
    Which treo do you have?? This thread is very old man, this is why people are installing Java. There is absolutely no need for Java install with the current version of google maps.
    Sprint PCS ****
    Treo 700wx
  9. #89  
    And to Integra, here's the easy process to get Google Maps working seamlessly with a third party GPS unit:

    These intstructions will walk though the steps you need to get your Windows Mobile Treo talking to a GPS unit directly. Why would you want to do this? Well, it means you will be able to get maps and location-based information without having to load up (or pay for!) a full GPS-style application like TomTom or Copilot. TomTom is still best for driving use, but it's pretty cool to use GPS with, say, Google Maps.

    So, what do you need to do?

    Get a bluetooth GPS receiver 'puck'. The TreoCentral Store (http://store.treocentral.com) sells several standalone GPS receivers, though the GPS receives that come with TomTom or Copilot also work. Basically, anything that transmits NMEA data over bluetooth should work.

    Pair up your GPS receiver with your Treo.

    Turn on the GPS receiver and bluetooth on your Treo
    Go into Settings, Connections, Bluetooth
    Tap Devices, New Partnership. When your GPS unit shows up, choose that. The passcode (if asked) is nearly always '0000'.
    Be sure to check the box next to 'Serial Port' on the next screen, then you may tap Finish

    You'll need to set up a 'Hardware COM port'. To do this, go into Settings, Connections, Bluetooth. Then tap the 'COM Ports' tab and tap 'New Outgoing Port'. Select your GPS receiver on the next screen, then you can usually just stick with whatever COM port WM suggests (COM 8, in my case).

    (...At this point, you've gone far enough to get GPS working properly with some WM apps like Virtual Earth Mobile or Wiondows Live Search for mobile beta. In either of these applications, you can go into preferences and just set the COM port to the above hardware port.)

    Google Maps, however, needs Windows Mobile to tell it where your GPS is. To set that up, there's one last set. Go into Settings, System, GPS. On the 'Programs' tab, choose a random COM Port (I chose COM 5). Then tap the 'Hardware' tab, in this tab you'll need to select the Hardware COM port from Step 3 (COM 8, in my case). You should be able to leave the Baud rate at the default 4800. Finally, in the 'Access' tab make sure that 'Manage GPS automatically (recommended)' is checked.

    Finally, at this point, you then check the 'Track Location (GPS)' within Google Maps' Menu and it will work - Google Maps automatically gets the correct COM port from Windows Mobile. If you make it all the way to Step 4, you may want to use that COM port in Virtual Earth and Windows Live Search as well. These steps are a bit of a technical hassle, but they're well worth it. (These instructions were cribbed from the excellent Windows Mobile Team Blog ).
  10. #90  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooose View Post
    Another way to get java apps on your 700w/wx is to use a file uploader such as www.funformobile.com . Upload the .jad and .jar apps from your computer (I did this with MyCast 5 Weather)

    You will get a text message with a URL to the java app. Write down the URL and then in the J9 app on your w/wx, hit Install and then type in the URL....presto...I got MyCast installed and it works much better than it did on my 700p. So far, it has not crashed once.
    HOW did you get the My-Cast .jar or .jad app!!!!
    I am a My-Cast addict. I need those detailed radar displays for working outside with tools. How do I get hold of the My-cast .jar or .jad files, either on my computer or directly to the phone? I have JVM installed and running on my Treo 750 WM 5.0. How do I get hold of that app?
  11. #91  
    reillyimpr - Google is your friend. I'm sure you'll find it by entering "My-Cast" from www.google.com. I don't understand why anyone would pay $3.99/month for weather though.
  12. #92  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl View Post
    reillyimpr - Google is your friend. I'm sure you'll find it by entering "My-Cast" from www.google.com. I don't understand why anyone would pay $3.99/month for weather though.

    Simple. I would loose way more than 3.99 a month in lost work because of it.

    If you work outside as a contractor, the detailed, almost real time, skatter free radar is indispensable in timing work, deciding whether to call it a day or keep working etc. (They overlay overlapping nws radar returns to get rid of the clutter I believe.)

    I had subscription real time radar on my PC and didn't need it after I discovered My-Cast.

    Anywhay, I looked up my-cast.jar, etc. on google and could not find it. I have it on my moto V551 but don't have the time to hack in and get it to the desktop. (I have a data cable and software for the V551 but the cable has a reputation for being flakey. The included software doesn't offer access to paid-for downloaded files anywhay.)

    This is just a Java app like a game etc. I don't understand why Cingular doesn't allow it on most of their PDA's. I called MyCast about it and they said it had something to do with they way it was billed which is just BS.

    Broose can you help me out?
    Last edited by reillyimpr; 07/17/2007 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Forgot Broose's name
  13. #93  
    Quote Originally Posted by reillyimpr View Post
    Simple. I would loose way more than 3.99 a month in lost work because of it.

    If you work outside as a contractor, the detailed, almost real time, skatter free radar is indispensable in timing work, deciding whether to call it a day or keep working etc. (They overlay overlapping nws radar returns to get rid of the clutter I believe.)
    What does MyCast do that pocketweather, spb weather or weather panel don't do? Any of those apps can have radar maps and pull them from any url you specify at almost any frequency. PocketWeather allows for animation of maps as well.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
  14. #94  
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt View Post
    What does MyCast do that pocketweather, spb weather or weather panel don't do? Any of those apps can have radar maps and pull them from any url you specify at almost any frequency. PocketWeather allows for animation of maps as well.
    This is what I was thinking since you can not only get maps with may fee/free apps but you can also schedule SMS alerts sent to you from many sources. Maybe almost $50/year for a subscription gives you more though.

    Google brought this link right up: http://www.my-cast.com/ (I guess you really didn't need google for that.)
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions