Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    522 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tccook View Post
    I have DLink webcams at home that have built-in web servers. And they'll download a java app to view live video. Will this java install work with that?
    I have some Axis IP cameras at work and we can view them from the internet like that. They also have an application called Camera Explorer with a Pocket PC version that I downloaded and put on my Treo. Once I set up a rule in my firewall and made some other changes, I was able to view the cameras on my phone. It's very cool. You might see if D-Link has an application like that.

Here is a screenshot of my work.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    So, I just did a hard reset (on my 700w). Resintalled Java, did a soft reset. Now, when I try to intall the midlet from google.com/gmm, I keep getting the "error" about the midlet missing its name.

I try going to google.com/gmm in PIE, but there's no link to download the midlet, and the 700w/wx does not appear in the list of supported devices !!!

PLEASE can someone post the .jad and .jar files here, so I can just dump those in the java directory and run it from there?

I had this working before, but now it appears since they made GMM available for the 700p, they stopped supporting the 700w. What gives?
    Quote Originally Posted by PSB22 View Post
    So, I just did a hard reset (on my 700w). Resintalled Java, did a soft reset. Now, when I try to intall the midlet from google.com/gmm, I keep getting the "error" about the midlet missing its name.

I try going to google.com/gmm in PIE, but there's no link to download the midlet, and the 700w/wx does not appear in the list of supported devices !!!

PLEASE can someone post the .jad and .jar files here, so I can just dump those in the java directory and run it from there?

I had this working before, but now it appears since they made GMM available for the 700p, they stopped supporting the 700w. What gives?
    Have you tried map4pda.com?
    http://map4pda.com/download.1.4.htm
    You can use google maps without a java app.
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrence.c.lee View Post
    Hey this happened to me too. I soft-reset, and then it worked.
    Nice tip, RESET. Worked for me. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    No, soft resetting does not work.

Also the page that is bought up in PIE dows not have a link for download.

All I need is the .jad and .jar files. Does anyone know if these are device specific? (I suspect not). This should run on any WM5 device.

Does anyone know if the JRE program leaves stuff in the registry that might be present after a hard reset? I guess I just have to hard reset again, and then chek it using PHM regedit.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    So, it looks like google maps is detecting that the device is a treo 700w, which is not supported, and that's causing a problem with directing the installer to the correct .jad/.jar files.

The solution, type in the following URL to the MIDP installer app...
    http://www.google.com/gmm/apps/v1.3....d_MIDP2_L1.jad

This is for version 1.3.1 (no idea if this is the latest one, it says october 6th 2006, so its fairly new).

Typing in that url allows correct doownload of the MIDlet, and it runs perfectly!

Now, why can't google just put this link on their webpage. I hate it when website designers think they can "tailor" their content based on what they happen to think about your device.
    How does map4pda compare to google maps java version for PDAs?
    Quote Originally Posted by robodude View Post
    How does map4pda compare to google maps java version for PDAs?
    much nicer, imo. definitely worth trying.
    it's supposed to have a traffic overlay from virtual earth but I haven't seemed to get that info on my map yet.
    I have 700wx and i have tried every possible way to install google map on 700wx . i get stuck on when putting URL. It has never passed that point for me. So what the hell am i doing wrong? I am really frustrated.
    Thanks for your help in advance.
    Global Posts
    280 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt View Post
    much nicer, imo. definitely worth trying.
    it's supposed to have a traffic overlay from virtual earth but I haven't seemed to get that info on my map yet.
    Map4pda traffic overlay in action:

It doesn't cover all metropolitan locations - only the real big ones apparently...
    OK - I installed the .cab file onto my 700wx. It is in the "Programs" list.

I point my phones browset "PIE" to www.google.com/gmm,
    I chose high-end phone,
    I check the "open file after download" box
    Yes
    I get the following message "The URL "www.google.com/gmm" does not appear to be a valid URL"

What am I doing wrong?
    Last edited by IcemanYVR; 01/09/2007 at 06:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcemanYVR View Post
    OK - I installed the .cab file onto my 700wx. It is in the "Programs" list.

I point my phones browset "PIE" to www.google.com/gmm,
    I chose high-end phone,
    I check the "open file after download" box
    Yes
    I get the following message "The URL "www.google.com/gmm" dpes mpt appear to be a valid URL"

What am I doing wrong?
    did you install the java frist?
    Yes, I downloaded the JV9 app first. I downloaded it from the site directly to my phone.
  14.    #74  
    So I was able to upgrade my version of the JVM. I went here ( http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/561403-post131.html )to read about how to manually install the JVM. Then I went here ( https://www14.software.ibm.com/webap...n_US&cp=UTF-8#
    ) to get the latest version. Log in and get this one: ibm-weme-wm50-arm-midp20_6.1.1.20061110-161633.exe It helps to install the original .cab in this thread and then just replace the directories mentioned above because it registers the file types for you so you can install midlets through PIE.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcemanYVR View Post
    Yes, I downloaded the JV9 app first. I downloaded it from the site directly to my phone.
    Why use Google Maps when compared to Windows Mobile Live? It's generally easier to use and more powerful, imo.
    Palm Pilot>Palm III>Palm Color>Palm m505>Palm T5>Treo700w>vzw Treo700wx>Maybe the next gen iPhone next.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt View Post
    Why use Google Maps when compared to Windows Mobile Live? It's generally easier to use and more powerful, imo.
    Man - I'm right there with ya - watching all this pain these guys are going through with Java blah blah, and all they have to do is download the FREE and SIMPLE Windows Live app, and everything they want is right there. Traffic overlays, search, maps, directions, satellite view - all of it. So easy. And it's a nice lightweight app also.

people - just point your Treo700w/wx browser to http://wls.live.com and you can download the cab file right there. Install it, rename the program to 'Live Search' or something, and then put it on your Start Menu. I use it about 20 times a day. So awesome.
  17.    #77  
    Live doesn't do it for me. Once you use gmaps, you can't really use anything else. The search function of Live didn't even have what I was looking for today, but gmaps did. It's easier to zoom in and out with gmaps and it's easier to follow the directions using the map (ie. step to step with the map displayed). But Live can list all the steps on one screen without the map which is nice too.
    well I have a 700p running Google Maps & 700wx (don't ask) running Live. I actually find Live easier to use - hit the center nav to zoom in (on GMM it's the letter I) and I definitely like the way Live automatically takes you from turn to turn in a directional lookup just by scrolling with the 5-way. I just like Live better. But that's just me.
    how do i take out MIDP-AMS from my programs? i tried to install it, but its asking for the url. so now, i deleted the J9 from my phone and I want to get rid of MIDP-AMS is my program.
    I delete the program MIDP-AMS/IBM IVE already from the 'remove programs'. Do i need to do somoething else?? the midlets and recordStores folders, are they part of the MIDP-AMS (i think its IBM IVE something, i forgot the name of the program). And how do i take out the weme_sp-ar.... from my fone? that is part of the MIDP-AMS/IBM IVE right?

That app just didnt work on my fone thats why i want to take all these out. HELP!!! thanks!!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast