1.    #1  
    So I was just watching a review of Slingmobile on a moto Q. The picture looked pretty jerky and he said it was fluctuating between 10 to 15 Frames per second. That this was "normal"

I was going to get a 700w over a 700p for the sole purpose of having Sling. If the experience is not very good I am going to be an unhappy camper. Maybe my expectations are too high but I was hoping the video would be rather smooth and clear. So does the 700w give a similar performance (as the Moto Q) or can I hope for higher frame rates in the 20's?

I have a cable modem with great upload speed.

Compared to a standard quality avi on an SD card, how does the video quality compare?

Thanks everyone
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek
    So I was just watching a review of Slingmobile on a moto Q. The picture looked pretty jerky and he said it was fluctuating between 10 to 15 Frames per second. That this was "normal"
    A large factor in frame rate is available kbps. On my Q, I get about 10-15 fps on my (crappy) Verizon aDSL because my upstream rate (broadcast to the internet) speed is ~100 kbps. When I use my friend's Cox Cable-hosted sling (300+ kbps) I get mid-twenties fps on my Q. Using my i730's wi-fi on my home network, I get similar performance (mid-high twenties to 30 fps). Ask your friend what his data rate is.
    I get 29-30 fps on the treo typically. Video is smooth and crystal clear unless I go outside of an EVDO area and then the picture gets a little fuzzy but still not that bad. As long as you get over 120kbps streaming it's pretty good. 200kbps and over is very good.
    Global Posts
    476 Global Posts

I was going to get a 700w over a 700p for the sole purpose of having Sling. If the experience is not very good I am going to be an unhappy camper. Maybe my expectations are too high but I was hoping the video would be rather smooth and clear. So does the 700w give a similar performance (as the Moto Q) or can I hope for higher frame rates in the 20's?

I have a cable modem with great upload speed.

Compared to a standard quality avi on an SD card, how does the video quality compare?

Thanks everyone
    I routinely get 29-30fps and speeds well over 200 on a 700w. I would say the quality at those speeds is at least equal to (if not better than) a standard quality avi file. I wouldn't want to watch a football game or any other high action sporting event on it because the picture definitely gets a little pixelated, but it's absolutely watchable for a sitcom or any other TV show that doesn't contain a lot of fast action.
    Keep in mind the video size is msaller on the 700w, so you get a lot more out of 100kbps than you would on a larger screen i730/Q. Even on 1x the video is BAREABLE (not perfect, but def watchable IMO)
  6.    #6  
    This is a relief to hear. I could not justify such a purchase for 10FPS, that to me is not "watchable"

Is the on-screen image of the 700w smaller than that of the Q?

I know the Q is landscape view, which could account for the difference.

I have heard the complaints about battery life of the Q (though I think the come from "flip phone" users mostly and not those familiar with PDA's) If I were to watch Sling for an hour a day would the battery still be able to go through the day?

I do not use email. Maybe internet 10 minutes a day. About 45 minutes of calls a day.
    Is the on-screen image of the 700w smaller than that of the Q?
    700w: 240x240
    Q: 320x240
    I have heard the complaints about battery life of the Q (though I think the come from "flip phone" users mostly and not those familiar with PDA's) If I were to watch Sling for an hour a day would the battery still be able to go through the day?I do not use email. Maybe internet 10 minutes a day. About 45 minutes of calls a day.
    It would be close with the standard battery, but you might make it.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks Kupe, but I am referring to the actual on screen image size.
    Pixel size can vary, just as the 320x320 screen on the 700p is the same size as the 240x240 screen on the 700w.

I am just wondering which has the larger image. The Moto Q screen is 2.4" but landscape, the 700w is 2.5" but square. My guess is the moto Q is a bit larger.
    Yeah, I think the Q is a bit wider and I think there is a fullscreen mode for the Q that isn't available yet on the 700w so the picture will be smaller on both dimensions.