Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    More later, but so far I actually really like it. I currently have a treo700w and will hopefully get a better review up later. I will be deciding between the two.
    I'm curious as to how you are adjusting to the lack of touchscreen.

Also: Does anyone know when Sprint (or even better) Cingular is going to get this device?
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Sprint will not get it, Cingular should after the verizon exclusivity contract terms allow for it. Sprint will offer a Samsung which is very similar to the Q, SPOS, thin, etc. The model number I cannot remember right now.

Did the other 700w vs. Q topic get deleted? I made a nice long post in that thread....
    The Samsung referred to earlier is the i320 (Currently GSM only I believe)

Looks quite nice
    The i320 actually may be a preferable device.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    so far I'm loving the Q, the first thing I notice is the size difference, its nice having it in my pocket and not realizing that it is there. It has to be almost half the weight of my treo 700w. So far I have pretty much got all my important apps running on the Q that I had on my 700w. I have loaded siriuswm5, virtual earth mobile, memory-map weather radar, total commander, smart411. As I type I'm listening to howard stern on sirius through my Q. I was able to setup bluetooth in my car and on activesync with no problem. I even have added my 4smartphone.net email to the Q (no push just yet, updated probably in a few months) I notice right away, that I can listen to stern and not worry about the keypad lights from staying on. The OS seems pretty snappy, especially with the extra ram that the 700w does not have. I'm still searching for a better launcher than the default home screen. I have found the following which seems pretty good, http://www.sbsh.net/products/facade/ . The one good thing about the program is that the templates are written in xml which allows for easy customization and lots of different themes being created by different people. It's kind of strange that I really enjoying not having a touchscreen, everything is easily accessible without a touchscreen, some items take a few extra steps, but so far so good. The real test will be when I test out the reception at my new house tomorrow (haven't moved yet), the verizon signal is pretty poor at my new house, the 700w kept dropping calls, while the signal kept switching from EV to 1X. I will report tomorrow on these tests. The thing that I have noticed are everything seems just a bit simpler on the smartphone, from the apps to the menus, this seems to allow for smoother operation with less slowdowns. More to come later.
    no one will believe you.
    Quote Originally Posted by heckj
    I'm still searching for a better launcher than the default home screen.
    Check out xBar3, you might like their launcher too. I agree with your post. It's nice to have a phone that does everything I used to do on the 700W, but with the memory and stability I was missing with the Treo.
    I switched from a 700w to a Q about 1.5 months ago and haven't looked back yet. It did take a while to get used to no touchscreen after 8-9 years of Palm and PPC devices, but I have adjusted. I even find that I enjoy it more because I cannot accidentally "tap" the screen and kill whatever I am doing.

The phone is by FAR the best cell phone I have had in years.

The OS is somewhat more limited; there are not as many apps out there, for sure, but I think I may have had to reset the Q maybe 2-3 times in the time period I had it, versus 2-3 day for the 2 700w's I had.

The weight and form factor are terrific.

I am a power user of these devices, but find after some reflection that I have no need to actually create a spreadsheet on a 2" screen, so those parts of the OS limitations are of no relevance to me.

The RAM is the key, I think - I have at all times at least 3-4 programs running in the background (a la WM5, which never kills anything :-) ) and I have never had less than 19 MB free.

It's a terrific device.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    I agree on not worrying about striking the touchscreen, I love how I can perform some task and leave the screen on and slide the q into my pocker without worrying that the touchscreen is dialing out our something. THe q will than poweroff the screen according to the settings I choose. Also, the screen is just amazing, you can see it perfectly in the sun unlike the treo 700w. I'll post some screenshots of my homepage in as soon as I can. Forgot to mention it seems as if all the apps are just more stable on the Q.

A great weather radar program I just found for the Q, stable and quick

http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...oductId=188014
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    one negative I just found is that you can't edit tasks after you create one. I was trying to edit a task that I had previously created and I couldn't find anyway to edit it. You need to get a 3rd party task manager.
    Has anyone found a program that will EDIT word documents yet?

I NEED this feature. If not, does anyone know if it is even possible on SP 5.0 edition. Or is there a op system problem that makes it impossible?