Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Does anyone know what is going on with Verizon's EVDO speeds lately?
    At first I thought I was getting shotty speeds from being in certain locations, but for the past 2 weeks my EVDO speeds have been TERRIBLE!

It is so bad, It takes way too long to even load this treo.tc website!!!

The 700w icon says "EVDO" with the two arrows solid (and not 1x)...I thought it may be some setting I changed on the Treo, or a program (like PhoneAlarm) that was slowing things down, so I tried a Hard Reset, and tried to surf using PIE...still the same slow crawling internet.

This is much different than the first few months after getting the 700w. I wonder if Verizon shares all the Bandwidth in each area, and now that more people are using Broadband, things get slowed down (?)....

Currently, I can no longer use Resco Radio, or any streaming music for that matter, and surfing the net is painfully slow because of these speeds.
    If this keeps up, my "unlimited bandwidth" package is pretty useless.

[location: Chicago]
    Last edited by plasmo; 07/20/2006 at 04:07 PM.
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
    You know, if you had included your location in your user information or even in your post, you could get confirmations about the EVDO in your area. If you happen to be in the Northern Virginia or DC area, I happened to get some of my fastest ever EVDO marks in the last few days. Where are you from?
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by plasmo
    Does anyone know what is going on with Verizon's EVDO speeds lately?
    At first I thought I was getting shotty speeds from being in certain locations, but for the past 2 weeks my EVDO speeds have been TERRIBLE!

It is so bad, It takes way too long to even load this treo.tc website!!!

The 700w icon says "EVDO" with the two arrows solid (and not 1x)...I thought it may be some setting I changed on the Treo, or a program (like PhoneAlarm) that was slowing things down, so I tried a Hard Reset, and tried to surf using PIE...still the same slow crawling internet.

This is much different than the first few months after getting the 700w. I wonder if Verizon shares all the Bandwidth in each area, and now that more people are using Broadband, things get slowed down (?)....

Currently, I can no longer use Resco Radio, or any streaming music for that matter, and surfing the net is painfully slow because of these speeds.
    If this keeps up, my "unlimited bandwidth" package is pretty useless.
    I am in the Boston, MA area -- I have experienced the SAME speed issues on the Verizon EVDO network. Yesterday I did a hard reset thinking it was handheld related, but the connection to the net is still slow. Something must be up on thier end?
    I live in the New Orleans area and I've been getting the opposite, I consistently get 800-1000kbps speeds. About a month ago the speeds would go 350-500kbps.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    im in nyc. and my connection seems to cut off now in the city. im having alot of second thoughts about verizon right now.
    To make this more scientific, please perform a speedtest --

http://infospeed.verizon.net/

and post results. I am in Brooklyn New York and reached 128k
    663kbps in Detroit, MI inside of a hospital.
    I haven't noticed a change for the worse or for the better in NVA. I get between 200 and 400kbps at work.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    I am assuming that Atlanta definitely has EVDO. I have seen maps and get much faster speeds, but broadband-like would be a stretch.
    in the SF Bay Area, and traveling back and forth to Seattle. Speeds have stayed consistent in both areas.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    i reached 500k in midtown. but my complaint is that when i try to use a program that need a constant connection like im+ or listening to shoutcast itll cut out. and that was just recently.
    I did a test 2 days ago in a KNOWN well-received EV area, and had approx 250 kb/sec. Used to get over 600 every time. Thought it was the phone itself...

QUEENS, NYC
    Global Posts
    445 Global Posts
    Well, today, it seems my EVDO is working again....it was strange. I had several days in a row of crappy unbearable speeds, but now I get around 450 kb/sec. Streaming music works again.
    TRGpro --> Handera 330 --> SideKick I --> HP iPAQ H4355 (stolen) --> Navman PiN --> Treo 700w
    Quote Originally Posted by plasmo
    Well, today, it seems my EVDO is working again....it was strange. I had several days in a row of crappy unbearable speeds, but now I get around 450 kb/sec. Streaming music works again.
    Plasmo,

I am in Chicago too & you were not imagining things it was really bad. I couldn't even log on to yahoo mail last nite on the train before giving up. Today it is much faster, back to normal.
    I am getting approx. 500 kbps today in Chicago
    I am on Sprint with a 700p and happened upon this thread so I gave the Verizon website a try. Strange that to the right of "Ethernet" under "Your Speed in" it reads 40000KBits and 5000KBytes. I am in Burlingame, CA and did the test twice with the same result. Is something wrong here (not accurate with Sprint perhaps)? My apologies if this sounds silly but I don't know much about these speed tests...

I don't really see that great a difference in speed when I am in EVDO areas vs. not.
    on infospeed.verizon.net I got 62.5KBytes
    Varying between 271 to 670 kbit/sec in Colorado.
    between 280-445 in Chicago - only one bar of service.......it was definitely bad for a while here, maybe they were working on a network upgrade
    I'm downtown NYC - I just got 81.6 KBits while inside my office building which usually gets very spotty service.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast