1.    #1  
    I set up my gmail accounts through the verizon's wirelesssync that offers push email. It seems as though theres a big delay in delivering the emails. Sometimes it could take up to several hours before I get the email pushed onto my phone.

Isn't the push feature supposed to be realtime like a blackberry?
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Its instant for me. In fact when I'm at my desktop, my Treo usually gets the email prior to the desktop so when I hear the Treo beep, I just switch over to the desktop client
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Debo
    Its instant for me. In fact when I'm at my desktop, my Treo usually gets the email prior to the desktop so when I hear the Treo beep, I just switch over to the desktop client
    are you using wirelesssync.vzw.com?
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    A fine question! My setup: POP3 account w/ an ISP, wireless sync client on my desktop. If I'm not mistaken, the way it works is that the wireless client on my desktop gets mail from my POP account and then pushes it to my device through verizon's wireless sync servers. When I first got the 700W, I had some delays in sending mail, but that was an issue w/ my desktop outlook client.
    Patrick - WS is not like a Blackberry. It does the job fairly well but in no way is it as consistent as a BB. This is how WS works and one of the reasons I stopped using it.

WS "pushes" mail to you as soon as the PC Monitor detects a change to your server. That is why you usually can receive mail so quickly. Gmail might not be doing that right for you. You might want to see if you can get mail quickly without WS in the picture.

However, that is not the same for mail that is sent from the client. It can take hours (and once it took a day for me) to get mail out. There are a lot of reasons for this but in short, the process is on hold until the PC monitor is awakened. You can speed up sending mail by forcing a manual sync. That will get the mail to the website and the PC Monitor gets informed faster. Othewise, you can reply or initiate mail from the website instead of using Poutlook. Another reason for delay is VZW's schedule for sending out mail. Not much you can do about that since it involves their mail servers.

Debo is right in that a delay can be caused by your desktop. The monitor or another needed app (e.g. Outlook or VPN) might need to be restarted. That is the other big difference in BB and WS. You are your email Systems Administrator with WS but with BB devices, you can rely on others to ensure the server is fully operational.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    Debo is right in that a delay can be caused by your desktop. The monitor or another needed app (e.g. Outlook or VPN) might need to be restarted. That is the other big difference in BB and WS. You are your email Systems Administrator with WS but with BB devices, you can rely on others to ensure the server is fully operational.
    Just to add a tidbit: I was able to "pretty much guarantee" that my outbound mail goes out reliably by changing my DESKTOP outlook settings of my mail account options/mail setup/send receive groups to "perform an automatic send/receive every 1 minutes"

However, I caution you not to bet the farm on this as one night I was out w/ my buddy at happy hour and sent a quick email to the wife explaining why I was going to be late... When she met me at the door w/ a frying pan I found out that the sync client is not 100%...
    If you are set up correctly, the email will be pushed to your treo when it hits your outlook, which takes +/- 40 seconds (I am assuming you are connected as a POP3 and not thru a server). Sending emails thru your phone is sometimes delayed due to firewall issues and you ISP. For example, some ISPs / firewalls block a wireless sync signal sent to your PC detecting a new outgoing message. The key port on outgoing messages is port 3102, and your firewall should be configured to keep this port open at all times.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I used Wireless Sync on VZW T600 for about 1 1/2 months in 2004. I was on with their techs constantly - bottom line was they told me if i wanted push email i should get a blackberry. Wireless Sync doesn't provide consistent push's for email, nor does it send email consistently. As a free service you can't complain too much, but I would love to be a fly on the wall for the poort IT director that pays $1,000 + for the Wireless Sync corp. server. You are far better off using chatter to push email and just hot sync for calendar or contacts.
    I have email contests with a blackberry user in my company. We face off, send each other an email and send the same email to ourselves. So far (after about 27 ad hoc "contests") my VZWSync setup has won 18 of the "who's email is fastest?" bouts over his blackberry. I'm convinced, for practical purposes, it's a wash between the two services.
    Hello,
    Correct me if I am wrong I have my 700W less than a week. I orginally had the 700P for 3 days but the unit kept resetting itself so I switched out for a 700W, which I like much better, back on topic though: I called tech support and had them walk me through setup of Wireless Sync., they way mine is set up is I added my POP3 accounts info on my Wireless Sync website and I get all my emails in and out rather quickly, as well as my calender and contacts being updated instantly. The first time it synched it took the contacts from Outlook and sent to the 700w since then my computer has been off so I am not using the desktop program, but it seems to work flawlessly. Outlook is not important to me but I do need to figure out a way to send the Wireless Sync contacts back to Outlook! I hope I made sense!
    also keep in mind troops that there are about four different versions of Wireless Sync, the product.

There's the Outlook redirector, in which you have to leave your PC on and connected to your Exchange (or Notes - either one) server. Your PC essentially is the thread to your server. If that connection goes, no mo email. That is an individual redirector and is free.

Then there's the departmental redirector, in which SOME pc in the area is essentially used as the departmental redirector server. Can support up to about 20/25 users. Also free.

Then there's the full blown corporate server version, which isn't free, but is a secure behind the firewall version. No PCs anywhere (personal or group) need to be left on. IT folks usually want this. This version is analgous to the BES - Blackberry Enterprise Server.

all those three options are oriented to the company or user using Exchange/Outlook or Domino/Notes.

if you're a POP mail user (as was the original poster), you go through a totally different method. as has been talked about above. You go to the Wireless Sync hosted website, put in your settings for your POP account, and that hosted site monitors your POP (or IMAP) account and is supposed to push those changes out to your device.

Note that the POP version is just email only, whereas the other options with Notes and Exchange, etc will manage your entire PIM data - calendar, contacts, etc - the four main food groups, as well as email obviously.

Make sense?
    "Note that the POP version is just email only, whereas the other options with Notes and Exchange, etc will manage your entire PIM data - calendar, contacts, etc - the four main food groups, as well as email obviously."

My calender, contacts and notes are also synched, only to the VZW site though not my outlook, seeing as the 700w is what I count on I don't mind it not being in Outlook!

Yes you made sense!
  13.    #13  
    thanks for the responses. I dropped the push feature and will just pop my gmail account every 15 mins.
    Then there's the full blown corporate server version, which isn't free, but is a secure behind the firewall version. No PCs anywhere (personal or group) need to be left on. IT folks usually want this. This version is analgous to the BES - Blackberry Enterprise Server.
    I've never heard of this.. Please explain.. Costs, etc..
    Note also that the "Pop/Imap" version of WS only checks your email every 15 minutes. It's far from realtime.
    and imap does not support ssl either, which is a BUMMER
    I have used wireless sync on and off for months, and never had to install anything on a PC. But no, it is not real-time.

Wireless sync POLLS your email server every 15 mins or so, then pushes you the mail. It's not an "always-on" system like Exchange Activesync. So it may be sent to your device "instantly" AFTER YOUR PC RECEIVES THE MAIL, but there's a chance your server recieved the mail 15 minutes ago. I don't think 15 minutes is a big deal, but some people apparently do.
    Quote Originally Posted by tama2112
    I've never heard of this.. Please explain.. Costs, etc..
    You'd need to check with a Verizon corporate account manager, and remember that this particular version of Wireless Sync is installed on a corporate server, not YOUR pc. It's a full server install. Designed to scale to 100s and 100s of users.

go to www.wirelesssync.vzw.com for more info. Look for the enterprise version.