Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    How come you guys chose the w over the 700p? I am trying to make a decision, and would like to get both perspectives.
    W was the only choice for awhile, I still would choose the W just because I am familiar with MS and Windows. I have never had a POS device.
    Slingplayer was a key reason for me to choose the w. It works much better than I expected. I play it every day during my commutes.
    Not to jack this thread, but I have a sling player question.

I would be getting the W entirely based on the Slingmedia player. I would watch about an hour a day. Is this much data allowed on Verizon's unlimited plan. ie is streaming ok?

How much do you use yours a day?

Also on the P vs. W topic, does the W have the excellent reception the P has?

The P has truly been remarkable with it's call quality in my opinion.

Anyone tried both?
    Quote Originally Posted by dezicartel
    How come you guys chose the w over the 700p?
    Multi-tasking. You can run more than one program at a time (GPS, MP3 player, PIE) instead of only running one at a time and switching between them.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    P does not have always on email. You must use Verizon's wireless sync which is flakey or subscribe to Goodlink.
    Quote Originally Posted by dezicartel
    How come you guys chose the w over the 700p? I am trying to make a decision, and would like to get both perspectives.
    long experience with the palm os, although it wasn't phone-based. The P wasn't out when I purchased the W but if the P was all that was available I wouldn't have purchased it. WM5 is much better as far as my experience goes.
    For me, it was easier sync with Windows Applications. Plus the WM5 based mobiles have native Office support. With Palm based apps, you have to buy....ummm....I forget the name of the 3rd party application, but to be able to read and edit Word docs for example, you have to get a 3rd party app. Not so with Windows Mobile OS's
    Quote Originally Posted by bderouen
    For me, it was easier sync with Windows Applications. Plus the WM5 based mobiles have native Office support. With Palm based apps, you have to buy....ummm....I forget the name of the 3rd party application, but to be able to read and edit Word docs for example, you have to get a 3rd party app. Not so with Windows Mobile OS's
    Documents to Go is the app you are looking for and it is included with the Treo CD. At least it was with the 650, not sure about the 700.
    Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    Because I am a Windows man and always will be.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    I bought the W because I support Bill Gates' philanthropic efforts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Debo
    I bought the W because I support Bill Gates' philanthropic efforts.
    That's a good way to look at it
    Quote Originally Posted by CellGeek
    Not to jack this thread, but I have a sling player question.

I would be getting the W entirely based on the Slingmedia player. I would watch about an hour a day. Is this much data allowed on Verizon's unlimited plan. ie is streaming ok?

How much do you use yours a day?

Also on the P vs. W topic, does the W have the excellent reception the P has?

The P has truly been remarkable with it's call quality in my opinion.

Anyone tried both?
    I watch between 1.5 to 3 hours per day 5 days a week and sometimes on the weekend. Verizon is aware of the slingplayer usage. It was a selling point for the 700w and other windows mobile devices that they sell. I haven't heard of anyone being banned due to its usage and I doubt they will do anything about it cuz it brings in customers.

As far as call quality is concerned, I have no complaints personally and I've had no complaints from anyone I talk to.
    Global Posts
    756 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip
    I watch between 1.5 to 3 hours per day 5 days a week and sometimes on the weekend. Verizon is aware of the slingplayer usage. It was a selling point for the 700w and other windows mobile devices that they sell. I haven't heard of anyone being banned due to its usage and I doubt they will do anything about it cuz it brings in customers.

As far as call quality is concerned, I have no complaints personally and I've had no complaints from anyone I talk to.
    For $45 a month for their data plan you should be able to run that much and more in my opinion!
    Kash76

Sprint - Treo 650, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Kash76
    For $45 a month for their data plan you should be able to run that much and more in my opinion!

So very true....
    Slingplayer was a key reason for me to choose the w.
    Slingplayer is what is keeping me with a WM device. I like being able to maximize the use of my VZW data plan, cable internet, and cable TV subscription. I figure that once a person pays for something, that person should be able to use it anywhere and at any time

Thank you so much for this info. It sounds like you are truly utilizing your Sling/Unlimited data. I am very glad to hear Verizon has been silent about your usage. I thought they were bugging some users. At the price, and the stated UNLIMITED, I cannot see how they could do this, but none the less I heard they were. I think they must have thought users were tethering. I assume if you were to explain it they could not argue.

Well I have a 700p right now. As long as the 700w has the same good call quality (let me say I had 2 650's a year back and call quality was AWEFUL, dropped 20% of my calls on both phones) as the 700p then i am switching.

I actually like the POS a littl more, as it is slightly more simple, but I have used wm5 on my i730 for quite some time and it is "ok"

With the added functionality of Sling I think it is worth it. I also hope I can find a good NES emulator, the 700p has a couple great ones.

FYI, my email reguarding adding SlingPlayer to POS from yesterday

"We understand that you are wanting to know if there are any plans to
    bring out a Slingplayer™ that is compatible with the Palm OS.

At the present time we have not been given any information in regards to
    the plans in regards to expansion for Smart Phone coverage. We would
    suggest that you pose your question on the Sling Media Community Forum
    to determine what plans may be put forward in regards to the future. You
    can get to this forum by following the link below."

There have been reports of people getting their service canceled by Verizon because they used too much bandwidth (usually, the termination letter stated more than 10GB a month). From what I've heard, you're not supposed to use your data plan for multimedia or gaming (they want you to pay $45 a month to surf the web only ). Now that's not to say you'll instantly get banned if you stream videos on your Treo, but if it does happen, you shouldn't be too surprised.
    That limit keeps increasing. So far I haven't gone over 4GB in a month so if the current limit is 10GB I doubt I'll exceed that. I've been following the slingcommunity forums and haven't seen anyone complaining that they've been terminated from their provider for slinging.
    http://www.evdoforums.com/about2366-0-asc-0.html

Not saying it happens to everyone, but it is a possibility. However, considering the amount you watch and the amount of data that uses, the average user should be fine.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast