1.    #1  
    Will someone PLEASE explain to me how 18.75 MB can be in use (out of a measly 25.45 MB total) when there are no running programs displayed in the task manager???
    Voice Command
    Wirelesssync (similar) running and leaking memory
    All of the today screen plugins enabled
    Other plugins enabled (e.g. Spb Pocket Plus, pocketweather, pocketbreeze)
    Task managers
    2 words - Windows Mobile.

How do you think that Windows can run? Did you actually think they have RAM dedicated to windows? No company is that nice to actually let you USE the full amount of RAM that they give to you. Not to mention putting dedicated windows RAM would be more costly to manufacturer and consumer.

Be happy you have 18, I have 13 free after reboot with very little on the today screen (only phone, calendar, and tasks).
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ccstooge
    2 words - Windows Mobile.

Be happy you have 18, I have 13 free after reboot with very little on the today screen (only phone, calendar, and tasks).
    I DO NOT have 18 FREE.......18 is IN USE while NOTHING is running, thus my unhappiness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After an f'ing reboot, I only have 6.7 FREE.
    Sorry, I misread what you typed. Everyone makes a mistake, relax.

What do you have startup/on your today?
    While you have no "apps running you still have:

Nk.exe (the kernel)
    Filesys.exe (manages the filesystem, caches files etc)
    shell32.exe (the shell obviously)
    device.exe (manages your periferals (ir, touch scren etc)
    gwes.exe (graphics subsystem, caches graphics and can grow in size)
    services.exe (the container in which your services run)
    cprog.exe (the phone app)
    conmgr.exe (connection manager)
    voicecmd.exe (voice command.exe)
    tmail.exe (the mail app)

Surur
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ccstooge
    Sorry, I misread what you typed. Everyone makes a mistake, relax.

What do you have startup/on your today?
    You're right, I should relax...sorry. I'm just so fed up with this phone....

I have the following 4 items on the Today screen, and there aren't any fancy photos used as background...just the red one that comes with the phone:

The date
    Upcoming appointments/events from POutlook Calendar
    # unread emails from GoodLink 4.8
    Account balances from SPB Finance

So, is it typical that there's only 7 or 8 MB free with the bare minimum shown on the Today screen and no other applications running that can be viewed in the task manager? Please forgive me if these are simple/trivial/stupid questions....I've been a PalmOS person for over a decade now, but my work switched providers last week and forced me to go to a 700w from a 650...I had less that 1 day to backup my 650, turn it in to our LAN support, and hope for the best when they handed me the 700w 30 minutes later. I had no choice/input in the switch, but I s'pose I can't complain since work foots the bill.

Thanks...
    There ya go - just like I suggested in my first reply:

Goodlink - may be useful but it is a hog like all of the other email apps
    SPB Finance plugin (guessing that it takes up memory)
    Voice Command enabled?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    There ya go - just like I suggested in my first reply:

Goodlink - may be useful but it is a hog like all of the other email apps
    SPB Finance plugin (guessing that it takes up memory)
    Voice Command enabled?
    Hi - I checked the voice command, and nothing is enabled. As for GoodLink, even tho it's not running in the task manager list, it's still running?! Oh, well. It appears that my device is running "normally," so I'll stop whining now. Thank you for your input!!! )
    How'd we ever survive before handhelds, PDAs, Smartphones...

THEN...Palm Vx --> Sony Clie PEG-T665C --> Sony Clie TG50 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Treo 700W...NOW
    geez.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrence.c.lee
    geez.
    Insightful input such as this is so appreciated. Thanks!

THEN...Palm Vx --> Sony Clie PEG-T665C --> Sony Clie TG50 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Treo 700W...NOW
    Can you run Exchange server instead of Goodlink or is that not an option? Goodlink just uses too much memory on a limited RAM device.
    boot Goodlink and run right against the Exchange Server, as ppcmd says. It's the same (or better) experience, with push email and everything wirelessly syncing. Plus you get rid of that data hog Goodlink. Plus you use all the native apps and get to experience the device the way it was designed.
    All you need to know is whether your Exchange Server is 2003 version, and if the IT folks have installed Service Pack2 (they probably have). You also need to know if your company supports OWA (Outlook Web Access). That's all you need. You then go into the Active Sync app on the device, put in the OWA url, along with your domain name and password, set all your syncing to be 'as items arrive' and you're off and running. With some more free memory.
  14.    #14  
    Thank you ppcmd and nrosser!!! I'll try it out. I know I can access my work email via the web, so now I just have to figure out how to configure the settings in the exchange server. Over the weekend, I decided to do a hard reboot and not reinstall GoodLink...then I was going to set up an automatic forwarding of all my work messages to a POP3 email address and then just use the phone to check email every 5 minutes or so. BUT, your suggestion sounds PERFECT. Thank you again!!!

15.    #15  
    Aww bummer....I got sooooo close to setting this up. Everything looked great, but then I got the following message:

"The security certificate on the server is invalid. Contact your Exchange Server administrator or ISP to install a valid certificate on the server. Support code: 0x80072F0D"

Any ideas??? I can't go to our LAN folks 'cause they'll just tell me that I'm only supposed to be using GoodLink and that I'm not supposed to be messin' around with the settings on my phone. They are so controlling that they did not even give us the CD that came with the phone nor the user manual!!!! (Thank goodness this info is available online.) If any of you smart folks out there know what I can do to circumvent this, please let me know. Thanks tons!!!

I use 4Smartphone.net for my push email service, our corp site is not supporting push email right now. You may be able to get your corp IT dept to add exchange server.
    My company has two different addresses. The one outlook connects to on my PC our main outlook server address. and the one people use to get mail via a web site. I found out the hard way to use the same address as in the web minus the https:// part. Input the domain, username, and password and it worked fine for me.

Kind of weird they would maintain an exchange server and not use it's functions, but our IT dept does things I dont' understand either.

good luck!