1.    #1  
    Just a heads up. Microsoft released the official ActiveSync 4.2 today. I haven't given it a test drive yet but I will later tonight. Here is the link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Neil
    Works well! Fixed an issue I had with it. Everytime I synced via bluetooth, it wouldn't connect to my exchange server - it would give an error that it couldn't communicate but it still continued and synced properly to my computer. The new version does not give the error message. So basically I don't see anything different with this version except that I don't get that message - same functionality. Cool.
    Works fine here.
  4.    #4  
    It's working fine here too. It did seem to take a while to install on my PC (thought it locked up but it completed after a few minutes). This morning synched with no problem.

Neil
    Do I need to uninstall AS 4.1 before installing? Do I need to manually remov, then reconnect the device througn ActiveSync like I did when I upgraded to 4.1.

Thank you for any and all answers.

Bob
    I did not remove AS4.1 before installing 4.2. It worked just fine - keeps all the settings and such and synced up right away.
    Quote Originally Posted by remilk
    Do I need to uninstall AS 4.1 before installing? Do I need to manually remov, then reconnect the device througn ActiveSync like I did when I upgraded to 4.1.

Thank you for any and all answers.

Bob
    Being the OCD personality I am, I uninstalled 4.1 first, then restarted my PC. Then did a fresh install of 4.2. The first sync was a bit nerveracking, as I had to "merge" data from my 6700 to my PC and vice-versa. The progress meter (125/355, etc) showed a much higher "remaining" number than I remember...I thought it was duplicating everything. After all was said and done, it turned out just fine.

I would recommend doing a full sync before uninstalling/etc just to be sure all your data is the same on your PDA and PC.

Others may have installed 4.2 on top of 4.1, but I don't like doing that...
    I installed version 4.2 last night. I had been running 4.2 beta. I syncronize everything via wiresync because everytime I went to sync via Activesync (files only and the occasional software) I got the dreaded failure to recognized the device message. My solution then was to delete the Activesync partnership and reconnect thereby creating a new partnership (selecting to sync only files via Activsync). Unfortunately the new version of AS 4.2 has not corrected this issue for me. I have spent countless hours/days trying to resolve this situation and have totally given up. If I want to sync files I email them to myself, if I want to try out some new software or a plug-in, I delete the old partnership and create a new one. BTW, the new one stays functional only as long as I maintain the connection, if I close AS or remove My 700w from the cradle, I have to do it all over again.

Russ
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    I've also been running the beta and things have been smooth. I wonder if I should "rock the boat" or leave it alone.

D
    Quote Originally Posted by tropicaffair
    I installed version 4.2 last night. I had been running 4.2 beta. I syncronize everything via wiresync because everytime I went to sync via Activesync (files only and the occasional software) I got the dreaded failure to recognized the device message. My solution then was to delete the Activesync partnership and reconnect thereby creating a new partnership (selecting to sync only files via Activsync). Unfortunately the new version of AS 4.2 has not corrected this issue for me. I have spent countless hours/days trying to resolve this situation and have totally given up. If I want to sync files I email them to myself, if I want to try out some new software or a plug-in, I delete the old partnership and create a new one. BTW, the new one stays functional only as long as I maintain the connection, if I close AS or remove My 700w from the cradle, I have to do it all over again.

Russ
    I had this problem. The fix is:

1. backup / copy all of your .pst files (.pst files = outlook data)
    2. Create a new profile in outlook and make a few test entries
    3. Sync with the new profile (which will require you to create a new partnership)
    4. If you sync successfully, import all of your pst files into your new profile and you are good to go.

PS- this answer was received from Microsoft paid support
    Thanks, I'll have to give that a try as soon as I can. Maybe tonight. I'll report back with my results. Thanks again!

Russ
    Well, after contemplating the creating a new outlook profile/.pst scenario, I admittedly was pretty hesitant because I live and die by my Outlook for work. I made a call to Verizon tech support whole then sent me to Palm support. After the better part of the past 2 hours my Activesync is now performing as flawlessly as ever. We tried to isolate where the problem was by trying different hardware connections, removing AS 4.2 from my laptop and fully reinstalling. Please note that the only item I was using AS for was the "Files" category. I use Wirelesssync for everything else.

Ultimately, I had to do a hard reset (thankfully I have Sprite Backup installed on my SD card). Before restoring from the hard reset I put the treo in the cradle (connected via USB), deselected every sync option in AS, then sync'd. It connected and sync'd successfully. I also removed the treo from the cradle then reinserted it, annnnddd, AS again connected and sync'd successfully! (This was my issue for the past several months, it would not connect a second time.) Anyway, I then selected "Files" to sync and it did. The I removed/reinserted the treo again and it still worked. I then deleted this partnership from my PC's AS, restored my treo to last night's Sprite backup folder, repeated the above process a few times and lo and behold, Activesync is working better than I have ever experienced in the past.

Apparently, there must have been something in the "Files" folder that was corrupting AS.

BTW, while I had Palm on the phone I also went through AS using my bluetooth dongle on the laptop (always was hit or miss, mostly miss).

Well, that's working better than ever before as well. I now can leave my treo in the cradle (without the USB connected to the laptop) and manully choose when I want to connect via AS through the bluetooth. This way AS is only on when I want it to be and not continously syncing.

Hope this helps,

Russ