Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Surur:

Let's ask these guys to come up with WM5Lite

http://www.litepc.com/
    "Mr. Clean" AKU 2.3 ROM available - No Carrier Customization!

After seeing more than a few requests on the board, I figured it was high time to cook up a clean ROM for everyone to use. The purpose in creating it was two-fold. One, I wanted to have a core ROM that wasn't littered with carrier customizations and two I wanted to create a solid base for others to play with.

Cooking up your own ROM can be scary the first time you do it, it's a lot safer to simply mess with tweaking the Extended ROM and leaving the OS and bootloader alone. The Mr. Clean ROM only loads four items (Disable Cert, MMS Folder Creation, MIDlet Java Session Fix and Total Commander) so it's great to use as a base to build on or simply to flash over completely.

As for the ROM itself, I used the core OS from the latest T-Mobile beta ROM (AKU 2.3) and the Radio ROM from the latest Cingular beta ROM (2.25). As many have already noticed, though the two carrier releases share the same version number for their respective Radio ROMs, they are not idential files. The Cingular Radio ROM appears to much better at keeping a signal.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/view...er=asc&start=0

I dont think it ever occured to them to rip out the built-in software however.

Surur
    Back to Palm stock price problems, though.

The 700w and the technical shortcomings are all very apparent to TC members. At a gut level they may be helping non-techie people turn away from the 700w in favor of something else at the Verizon store. There have been rumors on TC about poor performance of the 700w sales at Verizon. Maybe that's true.

But a company is not a product. A company is a group of humans that has some capital. Those humans produce and sell lots of products (not just one), successfully or not successfully. The stock price is the measure of a company's value. The 700w and its contribution to the overall performance of the company is just a subset.

Try this thought exercise. Completely ignore Palm's performance in the arena of "produce and sell lots of products" and look at what else is happening in the world. Completely ignore the 700w's flaws. Look at the marketplace for smartphones and everyone in it except Palm. What do you see?

Answer: HTC is rumbling over the horizon with a passle of new products. Competition. Moto has the Q, for better or worse. Competition. Once Moto has the Q wired, it will be able to shorten the product development cycle for new PPC devices. More competition. Surur can probably chime in with the names of other manufacturers aimed directly at Palm's market. More competition. Microsoft's heavy lifting on the WM% side means the barrier to entry in the Treo-killer marketplace is getting easier and easier. Oops. Almost forgot that also-ran player, RIMM. More competition.

Conclusion? Even if everything Palm does is perfect, all of that competition will chip away at Palm's customer base. Even if the Q sucks the fa@rts out of dead seagulls, there are going to be some Q sales at the expense of Treo sales, for instance. Palm will sell fewer devices just because some consumers will buy on price alone, some will buy on color alone (pink, right Surur?), etc. The mere existence of competitors, even bad ones, costs Palm some sales.

And of course Palm doesn't execute everything perfectly. Their own mistakes bedevil them, too.

<aside>

None of us on TC ever make mistakes, and it would be painful if we did to have strangers slagging us unmercifully on the internet. So give them a break, guys. The Palm management team doesn't have 666 tattoed on its collective forehead.

</aside>

Thus over the long run Palm-the-company faces tougher competition. It's like the rising tide. If you're standing in one place and the tide is rising you better start growing taller.

In order to maintain its current level of performance iin the marketplace, Palm will have to get better and better at executive decisions, technical development, marketing decisions and execution, the whole bit. Just to stay even. It has to do even better than that to grow.

If you're an investor you look at this and ask yourself -- can Palm's management keep things at par in the face of expanding competition? Can Palm's management team say "Ah, I scoff in your face!" and out-compete everyone coming at them?

Answer, according to the stock price? No.

Signed,

Mr. Tastypeppers,
    A Treo 650 owner, enthusiast, and evangelist
    None of us on TC ever make mistakes, and it would be painful if we did to have strangers slagging us unmercifully on the internet. So give them a break, guys. The Palm management team doesn't have 666 tattoed on its collective forehead.
    Um...ok. My point is I could have told you before it was released that it wouldnt sell well in its current state. If I could see that, you would figure somebody at Palm could see that. If I was a shareholder I would hope so atleast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    To be fair - I've ZERO non-manual resets in 6 months of using my 700w and I have an obscene number of 3rd party apps installed. I reset daily because of memory leaks, software installs and conflicts, and system slowdowns though. For efficiency, I usually reset around a daily Sprite backup which forces 2 resets.
    So WM is like Windows just shrunk for the mobile? With all that resetting, it's no wonder the device never resets on its own. Sort of how the person who turns his XP machine on, uses it for 2 hours and then shuts it down thinks it's the most stable thing. (Then you have my Powerbook which chugs away for 60-90 days straight without a reboot.)

That being said, Palm did F-up on the 700w, especially with the resolution and memory. But Moto F-ed up on the Q with no touch screen and the horrible Windows smartphone software.
    mobileman,

Palm executives may be dim bulbs, but they're not evil. We pound them around like pinatas at a 6 year old's party.

You could see 32MB was silly for the 700w. Me too. I didn't buy the 700w based on the memory issue, the 240x240 screen, and the fact that it is only available from $%^&$ Verizon. Palm people didn't see that. You wouldn't either if you had to think with their brains.

My point? They can't help themselves. Pity them. Give them food they can eat with their fingers. But don't buy the stock. Their decision on the 700w is an indicator of the quality of executive decision making of the company as a whole.
    To be fair - I've ZERO non-manual resets in 6 months of using my 700w and I have an obscene number of 3rd party apps installed. I reset daily because of memory leaks, software installs and conflicts, and system slowdowns though. For efficiency, I usually reset around a daily Sprite backup which forces 2 resets.
    Do you still need to remove the back cover of the 700w to reset it? (Like the 650?)

Contrary to popular belief, you *DO* have to reset WM5 periodically due to memory leaks and the like. I have to do my 8125 every other day, but it has twice as much available memory as the 700w, so that's about right I guess.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    Quote Originally Posted by driven01
    Do you still need to remove the back cover of the 700w to reset it? (Like the 650?)
    No. When you schedule or perform daily backups, Sprite initiates one reset prior to backing up the data. When it is done, it initiates another reset. That is what I meant about the 2 resets that happen with daily backups.

Even before Sprite was available, my 700w never did a reset on its own. It would just start getting sluggish and need to have memory freed up. I would initiate my own resets once/day using one of the dozen 3rd party apps available instead of removing the back cover.
    No. When you schedule or perform daily backups, Sprite initiates one reset prior to backing up the data. When it is done, it initiates another reset. That is what I meant about the 2 resets that happen with daily backups.

Even before Sprite was available, my 700w never did a reset on its own. It would just start getting sluggish and need to have memory freed up. I would initiate my own resets once/day using one of the dozen 3rd party apps available instead of removing the back cover.
    I think he meant manual resets, not scheduled resets. Assuming the 700w froze and you needed to reset it, would you have to take off the battery cover, or is there a hole in the battery cover to reach the reset button?
    The reset hole is in the same location as the 650 and I'd have to remove the cover if my 700w froze. That has happened maybe 3 times to me and it was after installing a new application. All of my other manual resets were performed by a soft reset application or soft reset feature within another application.

Slight change of topics: How do you like Sprite backup? Have you tried a restore? Did it work?

I tried SPB backup and it was fine ... until it didn't work on the restore.
    I am currently looking for something better.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Also: Treo 750 (Test phone) / Sony Ericcson w900 (unlocked for international travel)
    hmm, I've used SPB backup and have restored at least 20 times by now. Has been good to me so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbryda
    So WM is like Windows just shrunk for the mobile? With all that resetting, it's no wonder the device never resets on its own. Sort of how the person who turns his XP machine on, uses it for 2 hours and then shuts it down thinks it's the most stable thing. (Then you have my Powerbook which chugs away for 60-90 days straight without a reboot.)

That being said, Palm did F-up on the 700w, especially with the resolution and memory. But Moto F-ed up on the Q with no touch screen and the horrible Windows smartphone software.
    Actually in some ways I like the smartphone version of Windows Mobile better. At least they *thought* about ease-of-use, which is more than I can say about the PPC version.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Quote Originally Posted by hannip
    hmm, I've used SPB backup and have restored at least 20 times by now. Has been good to me so far.
    It left my device in an unusable state. (Corrupted mail database and all). I had to do another hard reset to get it working again.
    ---
    iPhone / Samsung Epix

Current playtoys:
    Sprite works flawlessly for me. I've successfully restored after a number of hard resets.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12