Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've read all the stuff on this forum about how the 700w has low program memory and therefore can't multitask all that well, and thus isn't a great device for a "power" user. I doubt I qualify as a power user, however. Here's what I envision running at one time: Pocket Informant, GoodLink. Perhaps the occasional use of the web or media player, and phone calls. I plan on pulling voice command from the startup folder--I've got a better implemented voice command on my current e815 that I never use.

Does anybody have a similar setup, or a good sense of what a "normal" user like me can expect to see with those programs running? I don't need (or want) a lot of third party stuff. I've used PocketPC before (most recently an HP 4700), and I don't think I've ever reached the point where the thing just gave up and died on me. I just stopped by the VZW store to play with the demo, and it had a bunch of stuff running, about 9MB free program memory, and still felt pretty snappy (to me, anyway).

I'd consider the 700p, but its Outlook integration is less than stellar. I'd need a third party program--which would eat storage memory for both the program and its database--to bring over all the fields that I'd want. In fact, I think I'd end up with THREE different databases: KeySuite/Beyond Contacts, Palm Native, and GoodLink. That's got to suck the memory...
    I'm a business user and have absolutely no problems with the device. I think the "power users" are actually "power players" in that they try to use the 700w as a media device more than a tool.
    Global Posts
    755 Global Posts
    I went from a 6700 to a Palm Treo. Out of the box Outlook integration on the 650/700p is not that bad. It natively syncs Outlook Calendar, Tasks, Contacts, and Memos. I also wirelessly sync email, calendar, and contacts with Activesync.
    Quote Originally Posted by webdave
    I went from a 6700 to a Palm Treo. Out of the box Outlook integration on the 650/700p is not that bad. It natively syncs Outlook Calendar, Tasks, Contacts, and Memos. I also wirelessly sync email, calendar, and contacts with Activesync.
    sure, but unless you get third party software you lose a ton of outlook fields. surprisingly poutlook also drops a few key fields from outlook, too, but not nearly as many as pos does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deltaflyer
    I'm a business user and have absolutely no problems with the device. I think the "power users" are actually "power players" in that they try to use the 700w as a media device more than a tool.
    I can't agree even moore. I think a good majority of power users are power players. I use my device for a solution, not play, and when I don't need that solution...I am on the phone side or it sits. Don't get me wrong...I do love my Treo or I wouldn't be on this forum, but I am not loaded with a bunch of useless apps for play that can choke the device.
    at&t iPhone3G
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by littlewaywelt
    sure, but unless you get third party software you lose a ton of outlook fields. surprisingly poutlook also drops a few key fields from outlook, too, but not nearly as many as pos does.
    That's exactly what I've found. I used Palm for several years, and, when I finally made the jump to PPC, was shocked to see what I gained in terms of field transfer. Birthdays, anniversaries, IM addresses. Granted, many of these have now been added to POS, but the mapping isn't great (why doesn't the Outlook anniversary field map to the POS anniversary field, for example)? I could use 3d party software--I don't care about the money--but it seems silly to have to replicate my contacts database twice (once in the 3d party software, once in the POS native program so it works with the phone and e-mail programs)...and then maybe a third time if I'm using GoodLink. WM5 eliminates one of those replications (PI integrates with the native POS database). Just for fun, though, can somebody tell me the approximate size of the various POS DBs so I know how much memory I'd be needlessly chewing up?

I'm definitely not a power player. Games and music came in handy when I rode the Metro to work, but now I drive. Even in DC traffic, it's tough to play and drive at the same time. As I said, I need to be able to make/receive calls, keep my calendar and contacts, and keep on top of my e-mail. Occasionally, I'll jump on IE for sports scores, to make a restaurant reservation, or buy movie tickets--no heavy-duty web browsing. It sounds like I'd be OK with the 700w.
    Though not perfect, the Treo 700W works well for me.

I am a business user. I use Pocket Informant for my calendaring, contacts, etc and since it uses the base Outlook, everything syncs with Outlook on my laptop. I use sprite backup everyday and as part of the backup it performs a reset. It is rare that I have to do a manual reset.

I use mobile Excel a lot on the Treo 700W. I also use Adobe Acrobat reader and MS Reader on the Treo 700W with no problem.

I use it in the car for audio books, I listen to MP3 and WMA files on airplanes. Where I use to carry three devices, cell, PDA, and MP3 player, I carry one.

One thing I do try to do is to limit the number of applications that are running at the same time. If I keep it down to just what I need (1-3), then I have no problems; It is when I try to run many that the device freezes or slows down and needs a reset.

Yes, that are some tradeoffs in flexibility and features by using one device; but I like it. I have had mine for 4+ months.

Bob
    The PPC format has always had little "quirks"...the 700w is no different. Still, I love it.
    Having used a 700w for about 3 months I feel it was a mixed bag. The low memory was the biggest issue - I found it maddening to wait for the w to reload a program. I liked teh multitasking since taht made switching from web to contacts easy but since the web ap would often close the otehrs it ultimately was more hype than substance, for me. Plus the need to do multiple taps to do what I did one handed on the 650 was even more annoying - speakerphone under a menu item - give me a break. In addtion, the non-standard screen broke some apps.
    I did like select radio and wish there was a 700p version.

Was it a decent solution - yes, and EVDO is nice. I ultimately switched tos a 700p becasue Is imply prefer how it works.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I'm not sure what a "power player" is but let me tell you, i've had Good software on this thing, it was crap, once Good took over, nothing else COULD work.

I've tried 3rd party email services, once they were running, nothing else could run.
    The units are defective in my opinion. They were made shoddily and they were shipped with insufficient memory to do any kind of real work. If they were meant to work on a business network how does Palm expect that exchange server services work with less than 25Mb of RAM left by the time you get the device.

VZW's wireless sync is a joke. it won't allow you to save attachments to your storage card, the options are actually greyed out and even their own techs have no clue why (I've had that conversation with them when I first got the device), they use this "virtual" software on their side that mimics the Treos' interface and their own software doesn't go past the options stage so they can't even mimic what you're doing to even answer your questions.

Had Palm actually cared about customer service rather than making a deal with Verizon to push this thing on unsuspecting users, they would have gotten their act together and put out a much more capable unit.

Of course, just my opinion.
    ^^my experience exactly. it worked absolutely marvelously out of the box. then i added Goodlink (our firm has an onsite server) as a necessity and it really went downhill from there. there simply wasn't enough memory left at that point for other applications to open/operate/shut-down effectively.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    thank you oalverez, I'm so glad I'm not the only one with this problem.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    ^^my experience exactly. it worked absolutely marvelously out of the box. then i added Goodlink (our firm has an onsite server) as a necessity and it really went downhill from there. there simply wasn't enough memory left at that point for other applications to open/operate/shut-down effectively.
    Hmmm...maybe I try the 700p then and deal with the replicated databases. Or with the less-than-total integration between POS native and Outlook fields.... I know the 700p has lots of memory left over (something close to 60MB).

Decisions, decisions...
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    the 700p is Palm OS, the 700w is Windows WM5 OS

wouldn't that be windows and doors?

oh, wait, both are ways out.

<unless you're using an integrated device of course>
    I have very few problems other than pretty regular soft resets done with a screen icon from Xscalar. The memory thing really only strikes when say I'm listening to a podcast or audio book and decide to pop open an image intensive internet site.... The movies play OK just soft reset when your done watching or if you've been tearing up lots of graphics heavy web sites
    Potentially dumb question: if the 700w will natively sync with Exchange, why would I also need GoodLink?
    .salvatore
    general nonsense - http://www.palmisanonet.com/
    psn radio - http://www.palmisanonet.com:9875
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by salvatore
    Potentially dumb question: if the 700w will natively sync with Exchange, why would I also need GoodLink?
    I think it depends on how your IT people have set everything up. I need to call mine and ask how they've integrated the 700p, 700w, and Motorola Q. It's possible that they integrate the 700w via MSFP and Exchange ActiveSync, but I don't know. I just hope they don't integrate using SureWave--that's absolutely the worst program I've ever used. It completely hijacked my Treo every 15 minutes.
    Good topic and great feedback. 1st time poster and have been evaluating which phone to go with 700p or 700w. Despite the resolution, which is a bummer, i'm leaning toward the 700W. I'll poste my experience at a later date.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    My THIRD phone is going back. They are finally replacing this one AFTER ONE WEEK (it basically stopped ringing or vibrating, however, the screen still shows the call).

I talked to a rep this morning who said, since this was my "three strikes and you're out" policy phone I could try another model and suggested a Q. So, I call back when I get home because he says that they want me to hard reset the device as a last resort, NOT sync and see if the unit still causes problems. So, i get home do that with the tech on the line and he says, "ok, we'll send you out another refurbished model." I lose my ever-loving mind on this guy. Then he starts to quote to me that this is "policy" and it's part of my warranty to continue replacing phones with refurbished phones. I ask for a supervisor who agrees to send me a "new" phone this time and "it will resolve the issue."

Now let me explain, when I got this phone last monday I was originally told that this WOULD be new, instead, AFTER I got the phone, i got a voicemail from some tech support guy who said he made a mistake and this was a refurbished model. Turns out they CONTINUE to send you refurbished models until you make a stink about it, so long as it's under the ONE YEAR MANUFACTURER'S warranty, after that you have to claim the warranty you've been paying for if you have insurance, which by the way is only good for TWO new phones, after that they cancel your insurance.

Verizon is a bait and switch company. First they tell you one thing and then they hide behind some "warranty" which I've never seen, I've never read where the policy exists that says they replace phones with ONLY refurbished phones. The supervisor was USELESS!!! COMPLETELY USELESS!!! He was talking on a third party line and I had to continuously tell him to speak up because I could not hear him. He was muttering when he DID speak up.

Verizon tech support reps are badly trained, they do the bare minimum, some are helpful and tell you you can upgrade or get a new phone when in reality, they'll come back to you and tell you they are wrong. They'll quote you incorrect times for how long it will take for the "new refurbished" phone will be delivered and then say, "oops, I was wrong" and make you wait about 3 extra days.

They don't care that the phones are defective, they have enough refurbished ones to keep you as a guinea pig over and over again.

The best thing I can do, get my company to pay the $175 and get out of the contract with them, keep my number and go elsewhere.

Verizon sucks, in no uncertain terms, their tech support is atrocious, they lie through their teeth with their policies, and they continuously just send you refurbished phone after refurbished phone.

Oh, and in the end, the mumbling supervisor said there was no such thing as a "three strikes and you're out" policy on their side.

Again, badly trained support reps who claim to know what they're talking about and their OWN supervisors contradict them.
    That's reasurring just when i am about to go buy a phone from Verizon. I've been with Cingular (att) for 10 years....How is Sprint .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast