1.    #1  
    My buddy has a pocket PC with a program that was pre-loaded on it that allows him to use the device as a remote control for TV's, Receivers, DVD players..

Is there such a program that can be downloaded and used on the Treo?? His was pre-loaded on the device - but i'd be willing to pay for such a program. Anyone know??? PLEASE let me know!!!!!
    From what I have read the Treo is not that powerful in the infrared department (you have to get real close to the device you are trying to control). You can try these:

Vito Remote
    http://www.vitotechnology.com/en/products/ppc.html

Novii Remote Deluxe for PPC
    http://www.novii.tv/pocketpc/

Neil
    I had an Ipaq that had that feature. It was pretty handy, especially in waiting rooms. I tried a program on my Treo 700w. The range on the IR was not good enough to be usable. The Ipaq would work from 15 to 20 feet away. The Treo does not perform well if it is more than about 3 feet. If I'm that close, I'll just use my hand.
    Actually, Novii Remote, as referenced above, works pretty good on my 700w. As good as about 10 feet away
    I loaded up Novii and only could get it to work 3 feet away...

Is there any SD IR boosters?
    Quote Originally Posted by grizer
    I loaded up Novii and only could get it to work 3 feet away...

Is there any SD IR boosters?
    You got it to work three feet? That's better than what I've got.

Actually, Novii Remote, as referenced above, works pretty good on my 700w. As good as about 10 feet away
    How are you doing that?
  7.    #7  
    Ok - i downloaded Novii Remote to my treo and it worked from about 6 feet away.. Not quite enough for me to be sitting comfortably on my couch and use it.. I have to lean forward and STRETCH my arm out for it to work on my couch.. So its not gonna work for me... Sucks that the IR port is so weak...
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Yeah, the Treos don't have CSIR, which is what the iPaq's have.(stronger infrared) Nevo, the program bundled on the iPaq, is an awesome universal remote program. You could instantly control almost every TV you came in contact with. Good times.
    Quote Originally Posted by ntractv
    That is a total lie. There is no way that Novii works from 10 feet. I have never had success using it more than 3 feet, if that.
    Quote Originally Posted by akramer84
    That is a total lie. There is no way that Novii works from 10 feet. I have never had success using it more than 3 feet, if that.
    Wouldn't the sensitivity of the receiving device also be a factor? I have universal remotes that work 15 to 20 feet on one device but when I switch to another device I have to get within 10 feet.

Neil
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shrink57
    Wouldn't the sensitivity of the receiving device also be a factor? I have universal remotes that work 15 to 20 feet on one device but when I switch to another device I have to get within 10 feet.

Neil
    Some devices have a very wide (as in degrees) IR receiver, some have a very narrow one. For instance, on the other side of the room from where I'm sitting is a three year old APEX DVD deck. Hey, it was cheap Chinese junk, about $50.00 brand new, but it has a bajillion features. But it also has about the worst remote control I've ever seen, (row after row of identically shaped, poorly labelled buttons..) .. and a VERY narrow IR receiver on it. I have to stretch out my arm and aim the remote at a certain angle to get the deck to recognize its signals. Meanwhile, sitting right above it is a few years old Samsung VCR. Its IR window has a very wide receiving range and I can point its remote in almost any direction and it'll obey the commands.

Last year I wrote a review of Novii Remote's "Blaster" SDIO card. I tested it in a Tungsten E. It has a very wide angle of projection and amplifies the IR signal out of the Palm. Unfortunately, its software doesn't let you custom design the remote interface like the software-only Novii Remote Deluxe does.

But, the problem with any of these screen-based universal remotes, no matter how smart they are, is that they have no tactile feedback at all. I found I had to look at the screen when I was punching their screen buttons else I'd miss them or hit the wrong ones.

I really like Novii Remote Deluxe's ability to let you create your own buttons, put them anywhere on the screen you want, in many different shapes and colors to create custom remotes any way you like them. But you're still tapping pictures of buttons on a piece of glass, and I still find it faster to just reach for a physical remote on the coffee table and mash a physical button by feel. So there are still a pile of remotes cluttering the table.

Then again, this all reminds me of the movie title "Modern Problems." It does't seem all that many hundreds of years ago that our family's one and only teevee in the living room had no remote, had no color, brought us seven thrilling channels plus some fuzzy UHF channels, took five minutes to warm up, had a focus wheel, mechanical knobs, and you had to get your **** off the sofa and walk over to it to change anything. The term "couch potato" didn't even exist in the 50s through the 70s.

Harv
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Anyone knows any good Remote (TV, DVD, VCR) softwares for 700WX?
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I've tried both Novii and PDAWin and neither will work more than a couple of feet away from the tv/whatever. I don't think this is a software issue; as stated earlier, the IR just isn't there. Same problem with my PPC6600. My old G1000 worked like a champ as a remote. Go figure.
    This is one of the features I really like about my Samsung IP-830W. Having enhanced IR built in and also a universal remote app. is great.
    Here is the Novi saftware and includes a more powerful IR emitter.

http://mytreo.net/store/product.php?xProd=456
    Just get a logitech harmony remote. I can't say enough about this thing. Controls EVERYTHING- including my media center PC and xbox 360
    and i believe this logitech harmony remote is not a software for a treo?
    Quote Originally Posted by foxdale View Post
    and i believe this logitech harmony remote is not a software for a treo?
    haha nope, certainly off-topic but how vital is a remote on a cell phone?
    I don't know about you guys but I would love my Treo 700wx to control my xbox 360, xbox, HTPC, and especially my reciever (which I totally don't have the remote for).

Anyone tested the Novii Remote Blaster & Software with a Treo 700wx