Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Beryl, I agree. current lineup, 4, 5, 7, Fox, USA, TNT, A&E, SciFi, Lifetime, Courttv, 1 premium channel of choice, why not spiketv, and history channel also, now that is worth $9.99
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    You guys do realize that slingbox is about to get nailed by the big boys for copyright infringement right? They're literally frothing at the mouth to get these guys for allowing their signal to be broadband broadcast without their permission. Remember a program for the PPC that was released that was a complete duplicate of the iPOD interface called pPod, you can still get (yes, honestly if you look you can still get it), but it was put out of business faster than anyone could download it.

As for this software, I have a few questions that I wonder about:

--How long has this company been around?
    --Once you sign up, and they decide that their userbase is large enough what's to prevent them from jacking up their prices?
    --Hasn't there been rumbling around about EVDO service from VZW being severly restricted a la "pay once download as much as you want" service is not what VZW really thought people were going to do
    --If you're downloading broadband what happens when you get a phone call? Is this streamed or is it downloaded to the SD card and replayed? Can't you do that with MobiPocket these days?

Just wondering
  3.    #23  
    Just want to make a few quick comments:

What specific content do you want to see on your phone? The entire metaphor is rooted in TV shows that you watch for longish blocks of time, so it's natural to say "I want x channel and y channel", but I don't know that I'd really want to watch A&E on my phone, as much as it's a great channel on a regular TV. The shows are an hour long, they have a dramatic arc that you kind of need to follow all the way through, etc. News, weather, sports highlights are all things that you can have a bite of and not feel cheated when you can't stay for the whole meal. Cartoons and comedy are the same way; I can watch five minutes of the Daily Show and not be worried that I'm missing the rest. Just like to hear opinions on this; I just don't think that if we put your 800 channels of cable on your phone that it would be as great as you hope it would be. That's not to say that we don't need to add a lot of content, and we've got some great things in the works.

To answer the questions sanjsrik asked:

-We've been around since 1999, TV launched in 2003.
    -We have well over a million users, and a well established price point that has not changed since we launched.
    -All the carriers have rumbled about their all-you-can-eat data plans, and isolated action has been taken against the worst offenders. Again, MobiTV is better positioned to deal with this than most applications because we work with the carriers.
    -With current EV-DO, your calls will kick straight to voicemail, at least on my 700p. EV-DO rev A may change this, but no guarantees and you'd need a new phone.
    -No saving of content onto a card is currently allowed. Sorry, but we're working on it.

Cheers --
    Last edited by mobitv; 06/30/2006 at 08:49 PM.
    Current EVDO allows phone calls to come through, but the data connection is paused until the call is over. The EVDO rev A will allow the data connection to continue while a phone call is active.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobitv
    What specific content do you want to see on your phone?
    I want it all. Often I'll be at home watching a show and suddenly have to leave before it is over. I can Tivo it but just as you mentioned, I want to follow the show from beginning to end -- at the moment. Also, I'll get called by someone about a show that I haven't scheduled to record and I'm 30 minutes from home.

Today, I turn on my Slingplayer to catch the beginning or end of the show. If I'm driving, I'll just listen to it.

If you can zap the commercials, that would be ok.
    I re-read your comment:
    And what I was saying about the one-client limitation was more that only one person is able to watch remotely, not that it eats your one cable box. Two MobiTV subscriptions would be $20/mo, instead of $500 plus for two Slingboxes, and you could turn the second sub on only when you needed it.
    You are right about multiple remote users. I think that is what is keeping Slingmedia out of the courts, however. In any case, I don't think Slingers should "be afraid - very afraid" since I expect it to be all worked out - no differently than RIM and similar infringement concerns. Slingmedia heavily advertises VZW on their site and I'm certain that this is not by accident.

If hubby and wife were both remote and wanted to sling a hot newscast at the same time, one could fire up netmeeting (if they have XP) or another free remote access app and share screens. A little techie but would probably work.

Secondly, the going price for a singbox is just under $200 these days.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Sling_Media_...2.html?tag=sub

(The Slingbox offer was included in my IBM stockholder's mailing for even less.)

BTW, I offered this perspective only because you decided to compare Slingbox on your thread. Otherwise, I'd not "go there" because I think MobiTv is a terrific idea and definitely has its unique place.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    You are right about multiple remote users. I think that is what is keeping Slingmedia out of the courts, however. In any case, I don't think Slingers should "be afraid - very afraid" since I expect it to be all worked out - no differently than RIM and similar infringement concerns. Slingmedia heavily advertises VZW on their site and I'm certain that this is not by accident.
    BTW, I offered this perspective only because you decided to compare Slingbox on your thread. Otherwise, I'd not "go there" because I think MobiTv is a terrific idea and definitely has its unique place.
    Slingbox is the logical basis for comparison, no question, so go there all you want. Sling is a great product and the service it offers needs to be available. End of story. They're succeeding in the court of public opinion because they solve a problem and consumers love it.

What they're not currently solving is the business problems of the people who have REAL money, the content providers and carriers and cable guys. The cable guys want to be able to offer the same service Sling does, but they'll do it through your cable box directly, and they'll partner with carriers to make it available on your phone, and it'll all show up on one bill. In that world, a lot of us would still choose Slingbox, but expect some growing pains and some unpleasant corporate behavior as this all shakes out.

Hard-core techies will absolutely pick Slingbox given the choice right now, though, which is why it's ironic that we're reaching out to early adopters on smartphones to get our early feedback. But I think we offer a lot that Sling doesn't offer in terms of convenience and ease of use, and MobiTV is only going to get more powerful as we add channels and features.
    Last edited by mobitv; 07/03/2006 at 09:58 AM.
    Anyone get this working on a Treo 700W (w/ Verizon)

I got it to load up, and bring up the guide.... but selecting any of the channels comes up with "This channel may be temporarily down. Please select another channel and try again later." - but it's been doing this for quite a while now.
    I have that problem now and then, I close the program and reset the phone, works after
    I'm sure the infamous memory leak on the 700w is going to be a pain with this software.
    Do you need EVDO to be able to use MoviTV? I dont have EVDO in my area.. Thanks
    what I want to see? ABC, CBS, NBC, ESPN.....so I can follow live sports
    Well Ive been holding out on anything else. And I dont profess to be an expert on these things, including Slingbox. But I got MobiTV installed on my Treo 700w in less than 10 minutes, and Im currently watching MSNBC live, and the quality is extremely impressive.

Im VERY happy with this. Im using the trial and surely will upgrade to the monthly plan. My wife hates when I watch TV in bed, and no I can!

I just gotta get myself some headphones for this baby.

One feature request - I'd LOVE to be able to record a program to my storage card and watch it later. For instance, record a program while in the office and then when Im on the subway I can watch the show.

Thanks for a great product, I look forward to its upgrades.
    First I want to thank you for truly interacting with actual users.

I know your working on saving content to SD, this is a huge feature. Sometimes your on the subway with no signal, watching something interesting and need to do something, basically mini-tivo =)

Seriously, I signed up for mobitv to catch the baseball game (not clip) , watch various shows on 4, 5, 7, Fox, USA, TNT, A&E, SciFi, Lifetime, Courttv, a premium channel, spiketv, history channel, etc.

Why can't mobitv play the audio over bluetooth? or headset on the 700w? It's never loud enough. I demo this product all the time to people and blow them away with the video quality, I think the audio quality needs some help though with the music channels.

Again thanks for listening.

Just want to make a few quick comments:

What specific content do you want to see on your phone? The entire metaphor is rooted in TV shows that you watch for longish blocks of time, so it's natural to say "I want x channel and y channel", but I don't know that I'd really want to watch A&E on my phone, as much as it's a great channel on a regular TV. The shows are an hour long, they have a dramatic arc that you kind of need to follow all the way through, etc. News, weather, sports highlights are all things that you can have a bite of and not feel cheated when you can't stay for the whole meal. Cartoons and comedy are the same way; I can watch five minutes of the Daily Show and not be worried that I'm missing the rest. Just like to hear opinions on this; I just don't think that if we put your 800 channels of cable on your phone that it would be as great as you hope it would be. That's not to say that we don't need to add a lot of content, and we've got some great things in the works.

To answer the questions sanjsrik asked:

-We've been around since 1999, TV launched in 2003.
    -We have well over a million users, and a well established price point that has not changed since we launched.
    -All the carriers have rumbled about their all-you-can-eat data plans, and isolated action has been taken against the worst offenders. Again, MobiTV is better positioned to deal with this than most applications because we work with the carriers.
    -With current EV-DO, your calls will kick straight to voicemail, at least on my 700p. EV-DO rev A may change this, but no guarantees and you'd need a new phone.
    -No saving of content onto a card is currently allowed. Sorry, but we're working on it.

Cheers --
    On my 700w, selecting any of the channels comes up with "This channel may be temporarily down. Please select another channel and try again later." - but it's been doing this for quite a while now.
    Resetting does help...anyone using this on the 700w have any suggestions?
    C.S. is thinking third party app. issue??
    Thanks
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12