Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Recently installed NetFront 3.3 browser on the Treo 700w. I have used NetFront before, and was always impressed with it; however, 3.3 is the first NetFront version compatible with Windows Mobile 5. NetFront is known for supporting the latest standards, and this version upholds that tradition. I am able to review my credit card activity on-line, and also fully view my bank site, including pictures of cancelled checks. Since these sites are very secure, and use the latest W3C standards, I am impressed with NetFront 3.3's ability to display them as well as it did.

The only slightly negative experience with NetFront 3.3 so far is it no longer supports the http://mms.... url structure. This structure calls a streaming Windows Movie File from a server. The mms type of URL works fine in Pocket IE, IE Desktop, and Safari. The mms url structure is probably deprecated; however, I use it to ensure the url is understood by older browsers. I am sure coding the new format that NetFront 3.3 understands will not be a problem, but I am concerned about other mobile browsers understanding the new format. I could have two links, one for NetFront 3.3, and one for older browsers, but I would prefer not to do that.

I will continue putting NetFront 3.3 through its paces, but my first impression is that NetFront 3.3 is an excellent browser for the newer Pocket PC's.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    how about the java support, can you run this radar loop

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar...01111&loop=yes
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Hi:

Tried your radar link in NetFront 3.3, and it worked fine. I did have to select which mosaic sector I desired. I chose the Northeast Sector. The map outline of the states showed clearly, and the multiple color graphics of the clouds displayed the cloud movements, and looped. I don't know how useful it is on the Treo's small screen, but it did work.
    Last edited by jimtravis; 07/01/2006 at 06:15 PM.
    Does the mss issue preclude this from working with ORB?
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    anymore reviews on netfront 3.3, its $10 off, so I think its a pretty good deal at $19. For those that are currently using it, do you run out of memory?
    ALso is there a trial of it anywhere? I would like to see how it reacts before I buy it
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    No memory issues that you do not encounter with other apps due to the small amount of physical memory available to user even after a soft reset.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I was surprised when the recent article on Treocentral eliminated NetFront 3.3 as a potential browser alternative for the Treo 700w. I installed NetFront 3.3 on the Treo 700w when it was first released. My experience has been excellent. I can still view secure pages that Pocket IE can not display such as my credit card activity, bank account activity, and even photostats of cleared checks. Some pages require horizontal scrolling, but that is a common event with the 240 x 240 screen. If you own a Treo 700w, download the trial, and give it a try.
    Orb works fine. I use Netfront 3.3 as my primary browser on my 700wx.
    Has anyone tried Opera as well? or know which is better?
    Treo 700wx, Topram 4GB 150x

Anyone want a Treo 700p for $430 ?
  12. kac
    I installed this NetFront demo. I like that I can now view some secure sites but the app is in Japanese. The installation is all jumbled question marks, slashed, and dashes. The app itself has Japanese characters also. The menu buttons are just squares with no english letters.
    grab the english demo from pocketgear.com
    Once thing I've noticed about Netfront is that when my 700WX's screen turns off after a certain amount of time, netfront closes. Has anyone else experienced this and have found a way to fix it?

Thanks!
    Install it to main memory and you won't have this problem.

Surur
    Thanks Surur. I did have it in main memory. I think I was having a conflict with Phone Alarm and the one buttom mute feature. I changed that to another button and Netfront seems to stay open no matter what.
    Thanks for the pointer, folks. I'll try to do a full review of the software for the frontpage in the next week or two.
    Sigalert works well with netfront! Yeehaw! Could never get sigalert to work with PIE. Now I can check detailed traffic speeds and info for every freeway exit on my 700wx
    Global Posts
    427 Global Posts
    What settings are you guys using with Netfront (text size, font, zoom, etc.)? I used to swear by Netfront, but since the improved PIE in WM5 have stopped using it. For the pages I visit it seems like PIE renders them better than Netfront does now. I tried it out again today but could never get it looking the way I wanted it.
    Device: Sprint Touch
    Accessories: Jawbone 2, 6GB Sandisk miniSD
    Editor: www.mobilegadgetnews.com
    http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/ind...1&pb=1#more889

You guys may want to check out this review. I have suffered the same issues and have since uninstalled it. It is still a very nice browser though.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast