Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Hi Everyone,

I am interested in the 700w but I am very concerned with the low amount of memory available to run applications. I do not expect the 700w to multitask very well but I am wondering how applications that use a larger than average memory footprint work in the limited memory space.

1. I use Pocket Informant quite a bit and was wondering if anyone had any experience running PI on the 700w? Is the 10-12MB of memory sufficient to handle PI?

2. If a task manager is used (such as Pocket Plus, Magic Button, etc..) to "close" programs, how well does the 700w release memory for other application use? Again, I do not expect to be able to run multiple apps at once, rather I am wondering how the 700w does switching/closing applications. Any memory leaks observed?

Thank you for any feedback or insight. It will help me to decide if I should purchase the 700w.

- DTG
    WM5 could do a better job on releasing memory from closed apps. I use Oxios Hybernate to free up the memory when I need to run a larger app.

So far I've been lucky and haven't found a WM5 app that couldn't be run on the 700w due to lack of memory. I've had apps close when I start new apps which is normal WM5 behavior when available memory is low (<5mb). I have run into large web pages that couldn't be displayed due to the lack of memory. But overall it works fine if you don't expect to run more than 1 large app at a time.

For example, don't expect to run slingplayer and then open poutlook to read mail and have slingplayer continue to run in the background. Actually this used to work prior to the AKU2 update when they raised the threshold for closing apps from 2mb to 5mb free memory. Many weren't all too pleased with that change and are hoping this will be changed back on the next update.

I'd say give it a try for the 15 day trial. You can always return it if it doesn't do what you want.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Thanks Hannip,

Thats just what I needed to know. I ordered th 700w and I will try it out. I am glad to have the 14 days to try it out and see how it functions. Thanks again for replying.

- DTG
    The w won't run the new version of NetFront AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $It$ $also$ $kills$ $WM$'$s$ $mulit$-$tasking$ $edge$ $when$ $you$ $don$'$t$ $have$ $enough$ $RAM$ $to$ $have$ $multiple$ $power$ $apps$ $open$ ($FlexMail$ + $fill$-$in$-$the$-$blank$ $is$ $a$ $no$-$go$).
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGeek
    I am interested in the 700w but I am very concerned with the low amount of memory available to run applications. I do not expect the 700w to multitask very well but I am wondering how applications that use a larger than average memory footprint work in the limited memory space.
    Picsel Viewer will have trouble with anything but the smallest of files. Luckily it's not really a critical program.
    where do we find oxios hibernate for wm5?
    Quote Originally Posted by zhzaen
    where do we find oxios hibernate for wm5?
    A google on oxios hibernate" pulls up this link:
    http://www.oxios.com/memory/
    The developer states that it is not compatible for WM5. You might want to write Oxios directly if you want it specifically for WM5.

A search on "oxios hibernate" here pulled up this thread with links.
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...xios+hibernate

Many of us use it at our own risk.