1.    #1  
    Hi,

Does the Treo support call forwarding? If so, how do I turn that on?

Thanks,
    Rich
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    1) Please search first. A quick search for "call forward" turned up 20 pages of threads. At least 2 of the threads listed on the first page of results had the answer within the first page of the thread.

2) Call forwarding is a feature of your service, not your phone. Searching your carrier's web site would have answered your questions as well.

3) Since I'm in a good mood, I'll save you a search. To enable call forwarding, dial *72 + the 10-digit number you want the calls forwarded to + send. To disable, dial *720 + send (same as enable but 0 in place of a phone number). This may be different outside of the US, but here it works on all services I know of, including land lines.

4) Your carrier will charge you through the nose (typically 20¢ per minute plus airtime) for this service. Please check with your carrier for details.

<edited for typos>
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the info, sorry about not searching.

I am looking to set this up so that while on vacation if someone calls, they will end up getting forwarded to another cell phone number & then they can leave a voicemail in the forwarded mailbox.

Will this work as I am expecting?

I would like to call people back using the other telephone number (& just leave the treo at home).
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    You lost me when you said, "and just leave the treo at home"

Are you MAD? I can think of almost no better time to have my Treo then while on vacation. GPS? Directions to local dining? Reviews and tour guides? You betcha!
    I'm with Debo. If battery life is a concern, buy a car charger or a travel charger. I can't function without this little gem.

One correction on call forwarding. On Verizon, you can turn it off with *73 + send. I use it all the time as I get poor reception in my home office. Rather than charging me by the minute, it just uses airtime in my plan (which I factored in when picking a plan).

Whichever way you go, have a great vacation!
  6.    #6  
    I am going to be out of the country on a cruise to the carribbean & figure it wont work.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skipster
    I'm with Debo. If battery life is a concern, buy a car charger or a travel charger. I can't function without this little gem.

One correction on call forwarding. On Verizon, you can turn it off with *73 + send. I use it all the time as I get poor reception in my home office. Rather than charging me by the minute, it just uses airtime in my plan (which I factored in when picking a plan).

Whichever way you go, have a great vacation!
    Either *72+0+send or *73+send will work to disable call forwarding.

Rich, why do you think the "other" cell phone will work where the Treo doesn't? Is it GSM or something? FWIW, a lot of the Caribbean does have CDMA coverage (at least on Sprint). You might want to look into VZW's coverage area and/or contact the cruise line before dieciding to leave it at home.

At any rate, what you're asking about will work just fine. If you fwd your Treo to another phone, if the 2nd phone has signal, it will ring and show the correct caller ID. If you don't answer for whatever reason (signal or no), the caller will get the 2nd phone's voice mail.

If you're not expecting the 2nd phone to have signal, I'm not really sure what the forwarding buys you. If they're going to voice mail anyway, just let them go to the Treo's voice mail. You can retrieve VZW voice mail remotely. IIRC, you dial the Treo's phone number, press * while the greeting is being played, and it will prompt you for your mailbox passcode.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Helix Holster
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I have call forwarding through my landline (ok, VOIP carrier) to call forward any calls from that phone to my Treo. Are you asking about call forwarding from the Treo to another service? Isn't the idea that your Treo would be the primary device to get the calls? Where else would you call forward TO FROM the Treo?

<just curious?>
  9.    #9  
    Ugg, I am on the ship, I have perfect service & the Treo does not work. It says roaming. Anyone know what the deal is? On a side note, the cingular phone doesnt work either.

I am not sure if it is due to us being out to sea. Kinda sucks though.
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    "Perfect service" meaning full signal strength? If you're in the middle of the Caribbean, I guess the ship itself must have a cell tower. Might want to check with the crew to see who the carrier is. Not sure the knowledge will really do any good since it sounds like you've already got roaming enabled on your Treo, but maybe it'll be useful for next time.

Which cruise line, if you don't mind me asking?
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Helix Holster
  11.    #11  
    Yes, Perfect service meaning full signal. The ship has its own tower. My crappy cingular phone does not work but has full signal. My wifes verizon razor has no service for some reason. i am hoping when we get to land (monday) that St Thomas will have working service for us.

I am on Royal Carribbean on the explorer of the seas btw.
    Did you put an international roaming package on your Cingular and/or Verizon account?

Are you dialing numbers using the country code (001 for US)?
  13.    #13  
    I did put the international roaming on my phone (verizon & cingular). I did not try the 001 dialing. Is that 001 + area code + number?
    You can update all of your domestic numbers in your Outlook contact list with +1 by exporting to Excel, creating column CONCATENATES wit +1, and copy/pastes(values only), and importing back. Takes about 15 minutes for about 4000 numbers (1100 contacts). Syncing may take over 30 minutes though.

I needed this for Skype and it doesn't hurt anything when used in the US over normal cell phone lines either. It doesn't work over landlines, of course, but I never use Outlook directly to call over landlines.
    Yes, it's: 001 AREA CODE NUMBER

or as Beryl mentioned you can also dial as: +1 AREA CODE NUMBER
  16.    #16  
    I hate that I have a signal but do not have any service... A guy on the boat with a blackberry has service.

At least while in Puerto Rico today I actually had data service all day. Hopefully I dont get hit with a high bill.