Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am finally going to take the gps plunge with my 700w. I have narrowed down my choices to the Iguidance software and the Itrek M3 BT gps receiver package from Semsons. My big question is can the software be run from the storage card or does the "64mb minimum available space requirement" need to be installed on the Treo's hard drive? I only have about 32mb available of main storage memory on the Treo right now. I checked on the Iquidance website and they state that 12mb worth of space is required for the main program, then they go on to state that 64mb of main memory are required for PPC installation. I'm somewhat confused by this. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Russ
    Last edited by tropicaffair; 06/23/2006 at 09:25 AM.
    I use iGuidance (with Globalsat BT-338) and it's incredibly accurate. Just make sure you get the newly released 3.0 version...it contains the most current NavTeq maps.

As far as installing...I would install the app to your main memory, but install the map(s) to an SD card. You can install to main memory (there is an option to do so after selecting your state, if you wish) but seeing as how you can get a 1 gig card practically free you might as well get a card and install few surrounding states to the SD card just in case.

BTW, I just took a long trip with my 6700 running iGuidance 3.0 as well as my TomTom 910 and iGuidance's direction was vastly superior to TomTom's. If I followed TomTom's direction, I would have been hopelessly lost. Maybe it's due to iGuidance using NavTeq and Tom using Tele Atlas...don't know. But what I do know I iGuidance 3.0 will get you where you want to go without confusion.

Highly recommended.
    BTW I highly, HIGHLY recommended buying from www.buygpsnow.com. The service is just incredible. I used the incorrect discount code, send pmt via PayPal, and they actually sent me an email telling me there was a type-o in my promo code, gave me the correct promo code, then automatically sent me a PayPal refund in the amount of the discount I was requesting. I don't know of any business that would have done that.

Here

I got the iGuidance 3.0 and GlobalSat BT-338 receiver for $179. They even throw in a free Akron vent mount for your PDA for free.

Also, the main app only uses 12 MB on WM5, so you are more than safe with your 700w.

Last edited by ericshmerick; 06/25/2006 at 01:55 PM.
    I got Iguidance V3 with BT-339 from Semsons $174 after 10% GPSPassion discount. So far I like it. I installed both program and maps on a 1 gb storage card. 77mb for all of So CA, plenty of room for more. Works almost as good as my non portable Pioneer in my truck. I would like to have a choice of multiple routes when setting a destination like my Pioneer. Maybe its capable but I am still in the learning process.

ericshmerick do you know if you can route voice guidance to a bluetooth headset? That would be nice if capable.
    Quote Originally Posted by IBMACE
    ericshmerick do you know if you can route voice guidance to a bluetooth headset? That would be nice if capable.
    Yes, you can get voice guidance directions over your bluetooth headset...as well as any audio that would go through a headset (music, etc).

Download the app from this thread. There are two different versions, the first one requires .NET 2.0, and on down the thread is a version for .NET 1.1. Personally, I have used both and they work identical. After you install and activate this tiny app, all you have to do is hold the answer/hangup button on your BT headset for a few seconds, then your audio from the phone will be routed to your headset:

BTToggle

Let me know if you need help.

Eric
    Thanks, I guess need some help, I downloaded the zip file to my laptopand unzipped it. What do I do with the cab file? I opened it up and there were more files but no exe file like previous programs I have installed.
    I am also curious if I can set the phone (700W) to when the backlight times out the voice prompts still work. For now I have to keep the backlight on and disable the timeout. Thanks again for your reply. Appreciated.
    Dock your phone, open Active Sync. Browse your phone, drag and drop the .cab file on your phone. Undock, go to file explorer on your phone, browse to where you put the .cab file (most likely in My documents) and click on it. It will install the program on your phone.
    Thanks, I learn something new on this phone every day.
  9.    #9  
    Well, I purchased Iguidance with the BT-359 receiver from semsons, and I also got a 4 gb SD card from them as well (great people!). They even threw in an additional charging cable for the BT-359 that will charge it from my Seidio cradle.

It arrived 2 days ago and I have it all installed. Heading out of town tommorrow so I will be able to give a decent test drive. So far the voice prompts seem to have a full 1 second delay between words. I'll have to see if it becomes a problem. If it does maybe I'll install XCPUScalar, we'll have to see.

So far just playing around with it the software seems real intuitive and the touch screen menus appear to be an adequate size. The only thing I haven't really figured out yet is no matter which input option I choose, the onscreen Iguidance keyboard doesn't appear, I still just use the Treo's.

Russ
    Quote Originally Posted by tropicaffair
    Well, I purchased Iguidance with the BT-359 receiver from semsons
    Let me know how your BT-359 works. More than a few times when I powered mine up it would never fix on sats. The green lite would never flash. I had a clear sky view and left it on more than 30 mins. Sometimes power on and off it would work. On a few occasions I had to pull the battery. Semsons is going to exchange it for me, I will take it to them they are close to me. Since they agreed to replace it its worked ok this week but didn't travel much. Taking it back on Monday.
  11.    #11  
    I haven't had any problems with the BT-359 seeing the sat signals, the cold start seems to be well under a minute (my impression, not timed). The extra charging cable semsons sent me connects to the RJ-11 jack on the side of my Seidion cradle and works well.

I do have a couple of Iguidance software related questions. I figure I'll ask here then I will go to INav's site and ask there as well.

1. Using the 700w, has anyone been able to use the navigate by contacts feature?

2. Regardless of which input option I choose (ppc keyboard or iGuidance keyboard) all I seem to be able to use is the ppc keyboard. The iGuidance keyboard option perhaps doesn't work with the 240x240 screen?

Thanks,

Russ
    1. Using the 700w, has anyone been able to use the navigate by contacts feature?

2. Regardless of which input option I choose (ppc keyboard or iGuidance keyboard) all I seem to be able to use is the ppc keyboard. The iGuidance keyboard option perhaps doesn't work with the 240x240 screen?
    1. I nav with contacts frequently. I keep all my customers in contacts and even though I know where they are located Iguidance helps me plan the best route. One important note, Iguidance is very picky about the correct format of the address in contacts. I had to fix just about every contact I had. On the 700W if you put the cursor in the address field and type the full address it may not work. If you get "city not found" most likely one of the fields is in the wrong place. The best way to input the contact is to click on little arrow and insure the info is correct for each field.

2. I tried both options just as you did and I didn't see any difference. I dont see a need for it since the 700w has a soft keyboard and the icon is available while using Iguidance. But why is the option there.
  13.    #13  
    [QUOTE=IBMACE]... Iguidance is very picky about the correct format of the address in contacts. I had to fix just about every contact I had. On the 700W if you put the cursor in the address field and type the full address it may not work. If you get "city not found" most likely one of the fields is in the wrong place. The best way to input the contact is to click on little arrow and insure the info is correct for each field.

OK, I've tried a few test entries with known addresses and I still get no reaction from iGuidance when I select the test contact. I've gone back and made sure each part of the address is in it's correct field. How long do you wait for iGuidance to find your selected contact after you select it? Half a minute, 3 minutes? Maybe I haven't been waiting long enough?

Russ
    I just tested mine again and it only took about 2 secs to route to my contact. Do you get any messages? Text or audio? Just to make sure that we are taking the same path to select contact I select menu, destination, contacts, scroll to desired contact and select either the soft OK in the upper right corner or the OK button. Whats really strange is the buttons on the 5 way navigator button works on other POIs but not for contacts. I think that needs to be reported and fixed. I will send a note to Navcorp support see what they say. On another note I was very disappointed when I was looking in POI shopping for a Home Depot. None listed in the 25mile range and there are probably 15 or so around here. I ma going to see if my non portable Pineer sytem in y truck can find one.
    Last edited by IBMACE; 07/23/2006 at 05:24 PM.
    Most POI databases include more common Points Of Interests (POI) for the traveler, i.e. shopping malls, grocery stores, banks, ATMs, resteraunts, tourist attactions, lodging, airports, etc... I really wouldn't be terribly surprised if Home Depot was not in there.

Because of individual personal needs, I would love to have a feature to import a spreadsheet of personal POIs. With my work, I have to visit several locations in national retail chains. I would love to be able import those into my POIs database. My version 3 of Inav is in the mail as we speak. I will post an updated review and this one thing I am going to look see if there is a way, but I doubt it as I have not seen it listed among the features on thier website.
  16.    #16  
    IBMACE,

Your right, when I select destination by contact hitting the enter button or the center button does not load the contact. I was successfull when I simply hit the OK hard button or the onscreen OK button. Thanks for your reply, it makes a huge difference for me to have this functionality.

Hobbes,

I agree, I'd like to be able to import my own POI list (I actually have one already from another forum, all the Harley dealers in the country). I just am not savy enough to figure it out. Let us know how you make out when you get ver. 3.

Russ
    Here is the response from Inavcorp on the 5 way navigator button not working with contacts.

Hi:
    On the contact lookup page, if there's mutliple lookup per name or listing, there should be an arrow up and down button on the igudiance program page for you to scroll up or down. In addition, the contact lookup maneuvering will be different from the rest since the other lookup options are completely within iguidance window while contact look must incorporate MS Outlook.

Thank you and we apologize for the inconvenience.
    Support Team

I still think they could fix it but I can live with that. I am living with all the other minor problems with this phone, but I still love it.
  18. SHV
    Hi everyone,

Just to be sure, can one in fact load iguiance v3 onto the SD card, and not in main memory? if so, are there any performance differences?

Put a different way... if one loads it into main memory, doesn't that take up program memory even when not in use and not loaded? my program memory shows approx. 25mb total, 20'ish in use. Is the difference between the phone's 32mb and the 25mb system overhead stuff, or is iguidance 'sleeping' within that difference?

I want to maximize memory, as I do a lot of multitasking and exchange stuff.

thanks!
  19.    #19  
    I installed iGuidance on my hard drive (directly on the Treo) - it installs about 12 mb on the device and apears to use maybe 2-3mb when it's actually running. I installed the entire US/Canada map database on a 4 gb card I got from semsons when I bought the iGuidance package.

The only real performance issue I have found is the the solid one second delay between words during the voice direction function. So far it has been functional, if I've been in a tight spot traffic-wise, or a spot with a lot of quick turns I just shut off the phone portion of my Treo for the few minutes I'm navigating the difficult portion of my trip. With the phone off there is no lag between words. BTW, I do a lot of property inspections for a variety of clients so I get to use iGuidance in a lot of different scenarios. Typically, I don't even want to be on the phone during the very last portion of a trip while I'm trying to find the particular address I've been scheduled to inspect, so shutting it off during this time works for me (if I need to).

Hobbes, I read your updated review of ver 3.0. Have you had any time to play around with loading a custom POI database? Mostly just curious. I will probably ask iNav and mention the time lag issue as well.

Russ
    Hobbes, I read your updated review of ver 3.0. Have you had any time to play around with loading a custom POI database? Mostly just curious. I will probably ask iNav and mention the time lag issue as well.

Russ
    Nope, haven't had a chance to look more than a glance. At first look, I don't see an official option for this. I will write to iNav to see if there any to modify a specific file to accomplish this.

As for the delay, on my PPC-6600 I do not experience any delay on ver 2 or 3.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast