1.    #1  
    im jus a little pissed here, for so long i wanted a NAV system but im jus alittle to broke and its not in my budget, well i jus happend to be channel surfing and saw the new RAZR have nav on them thru Get It Not...for 2.99 for a day or 9.99 month ok please tell me why there hasnt been somethin like this for a treo u can by damn razr for 100 bucks and get this but i buy a 600 dollar phone and there is no such thing, this feature would be perfect for those emergency situation...please explain this to me
    Got Treo?
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    They just started putting built in GPS in certain WM phones, the only one in the US that I can think of right now is the HP 6515, it was nice, worked well, but it was a little slow to update, That phone is not even a year old yet, so its coming, we just have to be patient. As far as writing a program that does what the RAZR does, VZW does all that through there GIN service, the Treo does not support that so there is no way to download the app, The 700w does have the locator, so if someone could reverse engineer the VZ Navigator for the Treo, away we would go.....
    My Cart
    Wireless Addict

The only reason why Chuck Norris grows a beard is because he is trying to compete with Bruce Campbell's chin, which can break diamonds.
    Plus you get so much more functionality when using your own gear. I use my GPS and Treo to create paths to apply to my own maps for hiking and bike riding and use tracking apps to analyze different routes. VZW wouldn't be able to give you all of that.
    Ace Marlak is right - the PDA phones should be the FIRST phones to receive this capability, not the last. This is merely another confirmation that PDA Phone makers are not as attuned to the wireless phone industry as dedicated phone makers.
  5.    #5  
    yeah exactly my only point is that with the treo line it is supposed to have everything all phones wish they had and its depressing when I'm like man I shoulda jus got a razr I really really want a cheap gps alternative
    Got Treo?
    Quote Originally Posted by AceMarlak
    yeah exactly my only point is that with the treo line it is supposed to have everything all phones wish they had and its depressing when I'm like man I shoulda jus got a razr I really really want a cheap gps alternative
    This is hardly a cheap gps alternative at $10/month considering what a real gps goes for.

You can "what if" and "why not" forever with tech stuff. The fact is, that in-phone gps is hardly a uniform feature, and it's not surprising at all that the treo doesn't offer it as a built-in. The treo doesn't come anywhere close to representing everything a phone should have and they don't present it as such.
  7.    #7  
    ur right its not cheap but in those emergency situatuions or the once in a blue occurances and u had to get say a 'day pass' for 2 bucks it would be nice
    Got Treo?
    Ace,

Being a recovering gadget-holic, I have been patiently waiting for GPS to come to a point where it really becomes mass market. Though the prices have fallen, we're not quite down there yet, especially for those who only see using it once in a while.

While I see myself finally jumping back into the GPS camp (I had gotten a Garmin eMap years ago but didn't keep it), the solution we found was to go prepaid.

Here's the setup that best fits the bill that you mentioned:
    * go to BoostMobile (Nextel's prepaid svc)
    * get a Boost i415 for about $50, I dont recall how much starter airtime credit came with it, I think it was around $10 but the site will tell you

Here are the numbers:
    * you must reload $20 every 90 days = $7/month
    * Telenav works in blocks of 4 trips for $5 (I don't recall but I think this too is a minimum buy every 90 days)
    * requires the data option at $0.20/day unlimited usage (which by the way comes off your prepaid card, instead of being in addition to you prepaid charges)

So for $8/mo I just leave it in my wife's car along w/DC adapter (GPS & Java sucks down the already so so iDEN battery life).

BTW, last fall Target ran a sale, $49 including a BONUS $20 refill card, so I couldn't pass up on that offer.

I did have a brief issue of re-activating Telenav after it was unused & unrefilled for 6 months, so you just have to remember your refill dates. Once I bought another $5 via the phone, it came back online instantly. neither Boost nor Telenav could figure that out since they kept pointing the finger to each other, I found out simply by doing it.

Good luck with your search.

- Andi
    I also believe that the GPS is a MOU service also. Nothing like charging airtime for something that the phone is doing on it's own anyway.

http://dts.vzw.com/faqs/VZ_Navigator/faq.html#item6

This IMO is the primary reason it is not on a PDA, we pay for data and would be less tolerant of just one more "pay for service" on top of the $100 per voice / data line that many of us are already paying.
    Yes, the fact that it was using minutes (vs flat fee data plan) on Verizon made it extremely unattractive.

May not be as much of an issue if you stick to the path that it originally mapped out, but if you deviate & it's got to back & forth to the server to download new directions/path, that can potentially chew up a lot of minutes.

Typically the phone locates where it is using GPS, then it sends it's location along with the destination to the server, server then sends back the routing info & the phone then monitors your progress along the designated path.

One day I was driving around with the kids & forgot that I had set Telenav to "use the least amount of highway" (or whatever the exact wording that they have that means that) and it mapped out a path that was 4x longer than the path that I would've taken. Only after we got home did I remember to look at my settings.

As long as the path is already downloaded, being out of network coverage isn't an issue since it can check it's progress with GPS. Network coverage becomes an issue if you stray off course & it needs to talk to the server to find new directions.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    As long as the path is already downloaded, being out of network coverage isn't an issue since it can check it's progress with GPS. Network coverage becomes an issue if you stray off course & it needs to talk to the server to find new directions.[/QUOTE]

So then it must work differently then the service you can get for the Treo, I had it programmed to take me to a spot out in the country, only one way to get there realy, I was trying it out, and almost as soon as I lost phone service I lost Telenav.
    Terry
  12. c0w
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Calhoun
    Plus you get so much more functionality when using your own gear. I use my GPS and Treo to create paths to apply to my own maps for hiking and bike riding and use tracking apps to analyze different routes. VZW wouldn't be able to give you all of that.
    hey which software are you currently using with your gps receiver?

Devices: HTC Mogul, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, mpx200
    Accessories: Spectec SD Wifi card, Piel Frama case, Globalsat Bluetooth GPS Receiver, Socket Go WiFi! E300