Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am sure this is on a lot of people's minds: with Verizon's current offering discounts on both the Q and the Treo, which one to buy?!

I used to own the MPX 220, and I have always had problems with the phone crashing, performing sluggishly, eventually the mic died and I had to have it on speakerphone every time I answered a call... I've heard not so great things about the RAZR as well, and I've read somewhere that the Q is somewhat based on the RAZR... So my opinion of Motorola is not very high. On the other hand, I have always heard positive stories from Treo owners.

Ok, lets say they are both equal in reliability. And given the understanding that one is a smartphone and the other is a pocket pc.. I've heard and read all the pro's and the cons for both... I am used to carrying my phone in my pocket, so I am primarily concerned about the mobility factor. I would love to hear from people who have owned both devices. How does carrying around a Treo compare with the Q? Can you fit both/either in a designer jeans pocket and not worry about it falling out? Does the Treo feel much bulkier?

Aside from the mobility, is the screen res that much better on the Q, despite being not touch screen? Is web browsing easier on the Q or the Treo 700w?
    I played with the Q when I went into verizon to buy some more 700w's (Upgrading my company to those). Maybe it is just me, but from playing with it, I find it hard to use. It is not as"user interface friendly" as the 700w. An attraction some have had is no need for the stylus. However, I have had no real need for the stylus in either the 650 or 700w.

I was unimpressed with the demo Q on display at Verizon. I'll likely play with it again when I go ther today to buy another 700w for another user. The screen is small and although it is thin, it seems to be LxH larger than the 700.

If you are worried about bulkiness in designer jeans, get the Q because the slimness will help alleviate that.
    I have had my 700w since January. Before the MSFP update, it worked perfectly. I use it as a phone most, email (exchange) 2nd, and light web browsing 3rd. I dont need any third party apps. Everything I need is on the 700w out of the box. From the time I got the 700w and up to installing the MSFP update, I never hard reset it and soft reset it maybe 1 time every few weeks. The memory leak never became a problem for me.

Well after the MSFP update, I have had to soft reset the thing at least once a day. I frequently miss calls because the phone will ring and I can't answer it. Can't even tell whos calling as its stuck on the homescreen.

So on Monday I went and bought a Q. I am used to the smartphone software because I had a 2125 before the 700w. I'll use the Q for 15 days and decide if I want to keep it or return it, then exchange my 700w for one that hasn't been updated and continue to use it.

Well, I am already thinking I will keep the Q. It is about a 1/4" taller and wider then the 700w (not including antenna) but only half as think and much lighter. I dont miss calls, the call clarity is actually better on the Q, and I haven't had to reset the phone because it was frozen or not working in some way.

Nothing really blows me away about the Q, but the keyboard is easier to type on (never had much of a problem on the 700w), the camera is better, and as a front pocket phone carrier, the Q is great.

I rarely had to use the stylus on the 700w as you can just touch the screen with your finger, so in that regard, the 700w might be "easier" to use. But not by that much.

The 700w is a great phone without the push update though.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    Greetings! 1st post here. I've been reading, reading and reading about whether to go with the Q or 700W or even the 700P over the paast 6 weeks. I'ev demoed all 3 phones for about 1 hour each. I'll be going with the 700W on July 12; When my New Every 2 comes due. I would have liked to go with the Q but it doesn't do enough for my needs. So, If I am going to make the jump from phone only to phone/PDA or Smartphone , 700W looks to be the winner. I'll try it out and after 15 days if it doesn't work out I'll probably try the Q out or just go back to my good old reliable Moto E815.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    I had the Q for the full 15 day trial before returning it and going back to the 700w. That last weekend, I couldn't wait to switch back the my Treo. I didn't like the Q at all.
    My sister had the same reaction but didn't keep it long enough to properly evaluate it, IMO. She got the Q for only $100 but returned it to keep her i730.
    I used the Q for two weeks. I liked several things about the Q, but in the end the SP OS was a deal killer.

The Good for the Q.

Screen was bright and video looked phenomenal on it.

The radio was one of the best and clearest cell phone radios I have ever used.

The form factor was excellent, while wider than the 700 the keyboard layout was really nice but tactilely (sp) harder to press.

The light weight was also pleasant.

Negatives.

The SP OS is convoluted and difficult to navigate.

The sound profiles are very customizable but hard to get configured. Also 3rd party apps that are not specifically written for SP5 do not always comply with the sound profiles. (IM+ still had sound even though I had the OS set to the silent profile.)

A hardware mute would have been nice.

App support is lacking even more so than 240x240 because of the SP OS and also the landscape display.
    Quote Originally Posted by aliber
    I am used to carrying my phone in my pocket, so I am primarily concerned about the mobility factor. I would love to hear from people who have owned both devices. How does carrying around a Treo compare with the Q? Can you fit both/either in a designer jeans pocket and not worry about it falling out? Does the Treo feel much bulkier?

Aside from the mobility, is the screen res that much better on the Q, despite being not touch screen? Is web browsing easier on the Q or the Treo 700w?
    to answer your questions/concerns, and having owned both:

concerned about the mobility factor? moto-q without a doubt, it even fits in my dress shirt pockets. yes, the treo is and feels that much more bulky in my pant pockets, comparatively. hec, i still yet to drop my moto-q.

screen resolution: nicer and sharper than the Treo700w. web browsing is not easier on the Q. is it difficult to browse? of course not, it's actually quite easy and the jog wheel is easy to use. you simply don't have touch screen.

i haven't looked back not even once. i don't miss the resets and i don't miss the bulky pocket look. have fun with whichever device you ultimately choose.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I tried the Q for a while, but in the end it was pretty clear to me I was going to stick with my 700w.

I really liked the screen on the Q. Excellent resolution and brightness. Also really liked how thin and light it was, but I did NOT like its size....too wide and tall. It doesn't "hold" nice, in my hands at least.

But what bugged me most... the Q does not have a little status LED. So if the display is off, the phone might as well be dead, you won't know unless you switch it on. I don't use audible reminders to alert me of unread voicemails and text messages, and the 700w blinks its LED at a different pace to let me know.

Also...the PPC version of WM5 is simply more powerful than SP, and honestly, the phone implementation on the 700w is pretty good!
    I had the Treo 700w, then moved to the 700p and Q. I own both at the moment. I like both for different reasons. I am a long time Treo user (PalmOS) and a 4 month 700w user. If the 700w had more memory, it would be pretty solid. I'm pretty open to the pros and cons of all three devices. I do find the Palm version to be better integrated with the phone (personal opinion).
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by brmcguire
    If the 700w had more memory, it would be pretty solid. I'm pretty open to the pros and cons of all three devices. I do find the Palm version to be better integrated with the phone (personal opinion).
    I was in the same boat as you. I dropped the 700w due to the low memory, bought the 700P and Moto Q to compare them. I stuck with the Q as it fit in more with my needs (and fit better in my pocket ).
    ^^what Kupe said (except for the 700p part).
    Which one is "better" depends on what's important to each user. Though I've owned every Treo ever made, I have decided the Q is a better fit for me. Reasons: form factor, stability, and non-flaky Bluetooth implementation. When I travel on business I always have an EVDO-equipped X41 Tablet with me, so I'm not too concerned about any missing functionality in the Q compared to the T's. When I'm on personal time, the light weight of the Q trumps all other considerations. Not to mention no resets in two weeks of intensive use.
    ^^what Tangible said (except i carry a laptop because i have to)
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    I am the PDA expert for the Firm I work for. In the past week I have seen 2 Q's be purchased and returned. They worked fine for a week and then both died. Nether one would power on. One of the Q owners is waiting for a replacement, the other went to the 700w and loves it. He doesn't know why he picked the Q in the first place other than size.
    ^^ does he know why he chose the Treo?
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    ^^ does he know why he chose the Treo?
    So I asked him why... He wanted the touch screen, and didn't like the thumb wheel.... He said it feels like a much more solid device than the Q. He likes the feel of the keyboard better, and the phone sounds better....

On that note I can tell you I have had my 700w fall out of my case a couple times onto concrete, although there are some scratches to the plastics all is well.
    I can imagine that if you are mostly concerned with email and watching some multimedia, the Q is probably a better way to go. But if you need to do more business intensive stuff, like editting spreadsheets or word documents, I can't see working on these types of things without the touchscreen of the Treo.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    to each his own but i couldn't even begin to edit my spreadsheets or word documents on nothing short of a laptop, especially "real" business intensive stuff as is mentioned.
    I agree, oalvarez, and rarely edit important spreadsheets. I am wondering how easy it is to resize columns to view spreadsheets on the Q without touchscreen. I do that a lot on my 700w since the spreadsheet columns are designed for laptop viewing.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast