Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    I agree, oalvarez, and rarely edit important spreadsheets. I am wondering how easy it is to resize columns to view spreadsheets on the Q without touchscreen. I do that a lot on my 700w since the spreadsheet columns are designed for laptop viewing.
    I can't imagine that viewing attachments on the Q would be any worse than on a Blackberry. Of course, that basically sucks.

I don't see myself ever editing on my handheld, whether I end up with the Q, 700p, or 700w.
    When I say "edit", I do not mean "create". I would never create large spreadsheets on the Treo. I just keep a lot of reference spreadsheets on it that, even though they were originally created on a PC, I have to tweak on the fly when I'm nowhere near one. I can't imagine doing anything like that without a touchscreen.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-C
    I can't imagine doing anything like that without a touchscreen.
    You mean like on your Desktop touchscreen? I seldom use a mouse in a big spreadsheet because it's so much easier to move around/select large blocks using the keyboard - of course, I don't see myself doing that on the Q either!
    Does the Q have a mouse-like function? If so, that would be fine to adjust spreadsheet columns.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Nope. It's pretty painful to navigate.
    I've owned the treo 650 for over a year and I decided to try the Q out because of the mobility factor and voice quality. My treo on Cingular was terrible for voice calls and the Q is 100X better. I loved almost everything about the Q and quickly got used to using the scroll wheel instead of using the touch screen. However, the battey life on the Q is terrible. With average use browsing the web and making a decent number of calls during the day, my Q would be down to 1 bar in the evening. It would make me nervous to go out without a spare battery and I felt that I had to save the battery life. I even tried the extended battery that only gave me a few extra hours and also made the phone lose its great slim look. You have to attach a bigger battery which creates a small extension to the back of the phone. I didn't mind so much that you couldn't edit documents because I never really did that so much on my treo, but the no copy and paste was pretty annoying.

In the end, I decided that having a sleak thin phone wasn't worth the trouble of worrying about the battery life. This battery issue was not just my specific phone. I exchanged it at the store for another Q to see if another unit might be better but it had the same problems. Its a known issue and you can read about it on qusers.com. I swapped my phone for the 700w which I am very pleased with. The voice quality on this is much better than my previous 650 with Cingular. I am also happy to be using the touch screen again!
    Interesting - I stopped using my 700w because of poor battery life following the AKU2 update. With the Q, I never think about the battery - it lasts about twice as long as my Seidio extended battery-equipped Treo. I purchased a Q extended battery, but so far haven't found a need to use it - I just keep it around as a backup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kupe
    Interesting - I stopped using my 700w because of poor battery life following the AKU2 update. With the Q, I never think about the battery - it lasts about twice as long as my Seidio extended battery-equipped Treo. I purchased a Q extended battery, but so far haven't found a need to use it - I just keep it around as a backup.
    But the Q does not have AKU 2. People claim push is more battery efficient than polling, but practice does not bear it out.

Surur
    AKU2 is buggy. I just got another replacement 700w and soon noticed my battery draining fast. I checked activesync and had to change the server setting back to manual. Now it's fine and lasts all day again and I don't use an extended battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickxkim
    I've owned the treo 650 for over a year and I decided to try the Q out because of the mobility factor and voice quality. My treo on Cingular was terrible for voice calls and the Q is 100X better. I loved almost everything about the Q and quickly got used to using the scroll wheel instead of using the touch screen. However, the battey life on the Q is terrible. With average use browsing the web and making a decent number of calls during the day, my Q would be down to 1 bar in the evening. It would make me nervous to go out without a spare battery and I felt that I had to save the battery life. I even tried the extended battery that only gave me a few extra hours and also made the phone lose its great slim look. You have to attach a bigger battery which creates a small extension to the back of the phone. I didn't mind so much that you couldn't edit documents because I never really did that so much on my treo, but the no copy and paste was pretty annoying.

In the end, I decided that having a sleak thin phone wasn't worth the trouble of worrying about the battery life. This battery issue was not just my specific phone. I exchanged it at the store for another Q to see if another unit might be better but it had the same problems. Its a known issue and you can read about it on qusers.com. I swapped my phone for the 700w which I am very pleased with. The voice quality on this is much better than my previous 650 with Cingular. I am also happy to be using the touch screen again!
    my treo 700w would need recharging around the 8th hour. would have been happy to sell you mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    But the Q does not have AKU 2. People claim push is more battery efficient than polling, but practice does not bear it out.
    So it seems. If/when the Q gets the AKU2 update, I'll think about updating to it longer than I did with the Treo.
    My 700w gets charged overnight, if I remember to plug it in, and it has not once, ever died on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcaddell
    My 700w gets charged overnight, if I remember to plug it in, and it has not once, ever died on me.
    same here. I've been using the 700w for about a week now and I always have 50% of battery life left after one full day of HEAVY use of voice and data. This is with the standard battery.

This is also without the firmware update. I read the reviews on here about how it kills battery life and it stopped me from updating
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickxkim
    same here. I've been using the 700w for about a week now and I always have 50% of battery life left after one full day of HEAVY use of voice and data. This is with the standard battery.

This is also without the firmware update. I read the reviews on here about how it kills battery life and it stopped me from updating
    If my replacement wasn't already updated I wouldn't have done it either. I really miss actually being able to multitask a few apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    Does the Q have a mouse-like function? If so, that would be fine to adjust spreadsheet columns.
    The only thing is, with the "SmartPhone" version of WM5, you can't edit Office documents. you can view them, but that's all. That's one of the reason's why i went with the Treo as opposed to the Q.
    I was just reading about the other day that the Q is not even good at viewing Office documents unless you are using the viewer installed with Goodlink. The article said that the Q comes with an app to view Office documents that doesn't work too well on the small screen, making it mostly unreadable.
    ROOTING for WebOS makes me more sympathetic to Cubs fans.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    The battery life is dependent on your push provider. I've been using 4smartphone.net and my battery life is excellent. From my understanding it depends on how you provider sets up their servers. People who were using mail2web had their batteries drain pretty quickly.
    Have you guys with battery troubles tried doing the Activesync hack? If you haven't then you should, that is where the battery life trouble comes from - Activesync tries to sync every 10 minutes by default, you need to turn that off. If that is why your battery life is poor, I'm amazed you didn't search for why instead of saying "oh it must be the pda's fault".

I have the firmware update, and also have left my phone off the charger for 2 days without it dieing (screen set at full brightness due to gps).
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    The battery problems seem to be pretty widespread. There seem to be a handful of users who are seeing good life, but they do not seem to be the norm. I am getting about 13 hours with 1hr talk and maybe another hour of internet and pda use, I ude push mail through vzwireless.

That said.. there are a few things about the Q that make me want to keep it over my 650. EVDO speed obiously. Form factor obviouosly. I like the keyboard and as a multimiedia device it is as good or better than my 650 (using TCPMP on both).

The fact that I cannot edit office docs is not huge, although viewing them is slightly better on the Treo. Bluetooth is better. I like IE better than blazer. The phone sounds MUCH better and voice recognition is built in. Email works better with pocket outlook.

I think the buil in calendar app could use some improvement and I may look to a 3rd part app. The formm factor, email ease, and nice multimedia are what make me want to keep it.
    Quote Originally Posted by swagner
    The battery problems seem to be pretty widespread. There seem to be a handful of users who are seeing good life, but they do not seem to be the norm.
    I don't think we have enough empirical evidence to support this assertion. I think the average user gets very good battery life with the Treo 700w. This is typical of Palm offerings -- great battery life and lousy memory and screen resolution.

After > 12 hours of push mail and moderate use, my battery is sitting at 84%.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast