1.    #1  
    Hello Everyone,

I am thinking of purchasing Navigation Software plus GPS Bluetooth Receiver to work with the 700W. I am new to this and did a search on this forum first and found great info but there are still a couple of questions that I have that I didn't find with the Search Function.

The main function of navigation for me is "MOBILITY". Because my vehicle and my fiance's vehicle are already equipped with factory Navigation, the main reason for purchasing this is for "On the go" or traveling. For example, we have a secondary SUV which does not have navigation that we use only to carry large items or if I am going out with a friend whos vehicle doesn't have navigation, I can then quickly setup the receiver and 700w to find our destination. Lastly, in case I travel to another city, I can use this when walking around a large city to navigate where I need to go or using a rental vehicle. Therefore, the receiver needs to be small so I can carry in my purse or in my pocket.

RECEIVER:
    Because Size is important for my use of navigation, I am looking into the I.Trek M3, GlobalSat BT-338 or Holux GPSlim 236 (I'm leaning towards the I.Trek M3).

My questions are:

1. Those who have any of these 3 receivers have any problems with signals when put in your pocket or purse?
    2. Can you get at last 10 hours battery life?
    3. Any one better than the other?
    4. Does these receivers all include a jack to plug into the vehicles cigarette lighter for charging?

NAVIGATION SOFTWARE:
    At this time I am leaning towards IGuidance V.3. Have a couple of questions:

1. Is there any one software speak street names (not really necessary but if one does and is comparable to the others, I might go with it).

2. House No: When entering a house number, is it by blocks of 100s (ie. 1-99, 100-199) or you can enter the exact house number.

3. Has anyone used previous version of IGuidance and what is your assessment?

Thanks!
    M
    I use the GPSlim 236 with Co-Pilot Live. The 236 runs over 10 hours easily and gets great reception. Co-Pilot does not speak street names, just directions. It does navigate to specific street addresses.
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    I use the i-Blue receiver and its the size of a zippo lighter, very tiny. I use TomTom navigation software and it works great. I think you'll have a hard time finding navi software that speaks street names, just imagine having to have someone say every name of every street in the world and then store it on a phone! I suppose that they could have a computer generated voice guess at it, but its likely to be incorrect anyway.

With TomTom I can put in an exact house number and if for some reason its not on the map (i.e. its brand new) the software will suggest the closest match. I've had to do this twice when going to new construction sites and both times the software put me within 300 yards of my final destination.

As a bonus, I was on the central coast of California the other day and chose a "walking route" from where I was staying to a beach bar and grill and TomTom took me down a little known path right past the traffic and onto sidewalks. I was super impressed.

That's my 2 cents. Oh, one more thing, no matter what you buy, buy it at Semsons. Great customer service, speedy delivery. Would recommend them to anyone.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks guys for the replies. Have another question, using the bluetooth GPS receiver, does the battery on the TREO drain quickly?

Also, is the I.Trek M3 and the Globalsat BT-338 the same unit but just under a different name? They look very similar in size and shape.

TIA.
    Last edited by MelissaP; 06/18/2006 at 12:06 AM.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    melissa: having used iguidance on my samsung i-730 pdaphone prior to switching to the treo, i can tell you that it is the best (i.e. exact directions, great visuals, reliable maps) amongst all of the more common gps software packages, including tom tom, mapopolis, etc. this is just my opinion, of course, however, I think you will find that it is worth the extra money...

as far as battery life in concerned....turning on the bluetooth and using it for either headset or gps receiver will dramatically decrease battery life....

I would suggest getting the 2400mamp extended battery from seidioonline.com
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaP
    Thanks guys for the replies. Have another question, using the bluetooth GPS receiver, does the battery on the TREO drain quickly?

Also, is the I.Trek M3 and the Globalsat BT-338 the same unit but just under a different name? They look very similar in size and shape.

TIA.
    I rarely operate my treo in GPS mode w/o it being plugged in.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks guys. My only concern with IGuidance was the price. Because it is much less than the competitors (ie. CoPilot), I was worried that it was missing some key features. Any ideas why? TIA!
    Copilot is worthless. Out of box, the download wizard software is broken (Access Violation), so how do you download the maps? Well you do it manually, copy & paste! Usability of the app on 700W is poor as well.
  9. SHV
    I just bought iguidance 3.0, however I don't use it on the Treo 700w; I have an old ipaq that I use with the old Navman 3450 sleeve. I have only tried it a few times, but it seems to be a nice solution. I will say that the routing algortihm can get strange, i.e set you up more zig-zag than others (GPS forum posts seem to bear this out) but it does get you there. This weekend, a colleague gave us printed directions from MS S&T 2006 to get to his house, and it said 'stay straight' when we needed to turn right (it properly identifed the hwy.). The igudance got us there... and mapped identically to S&T from that turn onward. Thus, the algorithm probably differed based upon some other point on the whole route.

I do find the interface easy to use.

If I had a BT GPS receiver, I would try it on the 700, however I like to keep m phone as 'stock' as possible, since it is mission critical in my daily work.

Steve
    You get about 4.5 hours of usage on a CDMA Treo and about 7 with a GSM when starting fully charged.....not quite enough for a NY-DC run for example.

Since there'spretty much no software for hiking / biking worth a darn, I elected to reduce the clutter and get a charging cradle for my vehicle that hides teh GPS receiver inside the cradle....therefore no worries abouy Treo battery, no worries about receiver batteries and most important, when I arrrive at teh destination, my Treo ahs a 100% charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    [...]I elected to reduce the clutter and get a charging cradle for my vehicle that hides teh GPS receiver inside the cradle...
    What unit did you find? The only one (I'm aware of) on the market is Seidio and they don't make a cradle with the built-in GPS for the 700w.
    They just released the 700p version. I gotta imagine that the 700w one isn't far behind.

700w Bluetooth Mono - http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=291
    700w Wired or BT Stereo - http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=308

If they can do wired, all they gotta do is wire it inside the cradle.
    They have had the two models that you've linked for quite some time. I've had some trouble with Seidio, with them telling me at first that they weren't going to manufacture the piece, then that they were, and then that they weren't.

I don't know why, but unfortunately, I wouldn't hold your breath.
    The 700w wasn't released that long ago .... seems like a short production run.....those were from visits to the site this morning. Not sure why they have stuff on the site that they ain't selling. The 700p IIRC model was just announced about a week ago.
    Here is my entire email thread with responses back and forth. The final message was sent on 6/12 to which I forwarded to the other David (who frequents TreoCentral) who was unable to better describe why they are incompatible. I responded to that message with additional questions which were never answered. In my opinion, frustrating customer service that I needed to confirm externally that I was lied to, especially with the short time frame in question. Either way, if other 700w owners want to take up the charge, be my guest - if enough people show interest, maybe we can change their "projected sales."

Hi Andrew,

I apologize for what appears - and actually is - a convoluted development process. Our developers have to test the viability and feasibility of retooling for a particular model. This is balanced against projected sales. All I can say is that corporate decisions sometimes fluctuate and that is why I do my best to usually not promise anything until I have it in hand. I answered you in good faith and am personally sorry we aren't going that route, but it's out of my hands at this point. Once again, I apologize for the mixed and contradictory messages.

David

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Monday, June 12, 2006 11:16 AM
    To: David Silver
    Subject: RE: G4850M for Treo 700w

David,

I understand you were under no obligation to update me as to the status of this project, but I fail to understand why it's status fluctuates from day to day. I was initially told that it was not going to be introduced, then when asking why, told that plans had changed and that it would be. Now you're telling me that the plans have changed yet again.

Can you please explain the fluctuation in your planned launches? We're not talking about a long-term development, you had told me the product would be launched within a week or two. Further, what is the difference (besides, obviously the Operating System) which prevents the model for the 700p to be incompatible with the 700w (to the best of my knowledge, they have the same form factor and connections)?

As I indicated in my initial message (way at the bottom of this page), I have heard very complimentary reviews of Seidio, which is why I went out of my way to contact the company to inquire to the modification of their existing product. It is somewhat disheartening to constantly been pushed back and forth.

Thank you again for your time,

Andrew Costello
    Sent: Monday, June 12, 2006 11:59 AM
    To: 'Andrew T. Costello'

Hi Andrew,

I apologize for the misdirection. When I had talked to our development team after receiving your question, they told me we WERE proceeding with developing the 4850 for the w. As of now, that is not the case. Things can change day to day. I apologize for not keeping you updated. Development changes on a frequent basis and often I'm not aware of a change of decision until a customer asks for clarification. We ARE going to produce a 4850 for the "p", but not the "w". Sorry...

David

Sent: Sunday, June 11, 2006 12:16 PM
    To: 'David Silver'

David,

Can you please help me clarify this situation? According to an email I had received from you last week (attached below), I was told to expect to be able to purchase a G4850 for my Treo 700w within the next few weeks and have thus held up on purchasing a GPS unit until its release. I also browse the TreoCentral.com Forums where David Chang from Seidio claims that there will not be such a product for the 700w, but only the 700p
    (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...39#post1016239)

Which is it? Should I move on and obtain another, Bluetooth GPS unit, or is David Chang misinformed? If he is correct, why isn't the 700p version going to be compatible with the 700w version, given that they have the same form-factor?

Thanks for your clarification,

Andrew Costello

Sent: Monday, June 05, 2006 10:19 AM
    To: 'Andrew T. Costello'

Hi Andrew,

Things change day to day and it appears that we WILL be releasing a 4850 for the 700. The only issue is the padding on the back of the cradle. It needs to be changed so that it can offer the same security in placement that the 650 offers. It should be ready for sale within the next 1 - 2 weeks.

David

Sent: Saturday, June 03, 2006 2:53 PM
    To: 'David Silver'

David,

Thank you for your kind advice. From a technical point of view, however, why are you offering the 4850M for the 700p and not the 700w? From my understanding, they have the same physical form and connection so why wouldn't the unit work with the 700w?

Thanks for your clarification,

Andrew

Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 12:04 PM
    To: 'swigger101 @ TreoCentral.com'

Hi Andrew,

After all the nice comments, I'm sorry to have to tell you that at the current time, we do not have plans to introduce a 4850 for the 700w. That may change in the future, but that is the current status of things. You might want to consider the 4500, which in conjunction with our extremely powerful and small RBT 2010, will do what you would like. If you have any other questions I can answer for you, please let me know.

David

Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 10:55 AM
    To: davidsilver@seidio.com
    Subject: G4850M for Treo 700w

This is a message from swigger101 at TreoCentral.com ( http://discuss.treocentral.com/index.php ). The TreoCentral.com owners cannot accept any responsibility for the contents of the email.

To email swigger101, you can use this online form: http://discuss.treocentral.com/sendm...er&userid=5348

OR, by email:
    mailto:swigger101

This is the message:

Hello David,

I've heard amazing comments on your friendliness and ability to help us poor treo fans find excellent third-party accessories for our phone. Do you know if there are any plans to introduce the Seidio G4850M for the Treo 700w? I'm extremely interested in the integrated GPS as well as the speakerphone capacity, and have noticed that you've slowly introduced some of the car units. Specifically, I'm looking for an in-car unit with built-in gps and the capability to run music and calls through my car speakers.

Thanks for all your help,
    Andrew Costello
    Thanks guys. My only concern with IGuidance was the price. Because it is much less than the competitors (ie. CoPilot), I was worried that it was missing some key features. Any ideas why? TIA!
    The primary issue with iGuidance is that the voice prompts don't work right with Treo 700W.

You will hear the voice pause between every single word. "In", pause 5 seconds, "100", pause 5 seconds, "feet", pause 5 seconds, "Turn Left".

It will get further and further behind as you move farther and farther ahead.

It's just useless on the 700W. It works fine on my old iPaq hp6315 PPC phone.

For me it's 2 strikes out of 3 (CoPilot iGuidance TomTom is the last try).
    Quote Originally Posted by swigger101
    Here is my entire email thread with responses back and forth. The final message was sent on 6/12 to which I forwarded to the other David (who frequents TreoCentral) who was unable to better describe why they are incompatible. I responded to that message with additional questions which were never answered. In my opinion, frustrating customer service that I needed to confirm externally that I was lied to, especially with the short time frame in question. Either way, if other 700w owners want to take up the charge, be my guest - if enough people show interest, maybe we can change their "projected sales."
    I think he hinted and you zero'd in on the problem. It looks like, in their view at least, there's just not enough 700w sales to justify the development / testing expense.
    What I fail to comprehend, however, is what differences exist (technologically) between the P and the W that prevents the unit from working with both. Is it the driver for the GPS device? The navigation software? As JackNaylorPE stated, they already offer the cradle with a GPS receiver attached externally... how hard would it be to incorporate?
    I think the hard part is doing the interrupts......having the software stay running when you get a incoming call, being able to return to it after making a call and still talking once the software is running again. With Palm my guess is with everything "wide open" they can get in there easily and do what they want. With WM5 I would guess everything's a bit more 'closed" and hardware interupts get a bit more complicated. But this is all conjecture on my part.