1.    #1  
    I have an unlimited data plan through VZW, so it's not a huge deal, but for today I've been online for like four hours. I was wondering if you guys could tell me how to have it auto disconnect after a certain amount of time of non-usage. Thanks in advance!
    The only way I have see so far (others may know more) is to tap with the stylus and disconnect. Unlike the XV6700w which allows you to press and hold the red end button to disconnect, on the Treo it just turns off the radio completely so you can do that too and then turn it back on.
    Before I put the firmware update in , mine would disconnect automatically when checking email and my battery life was fair , now with the update it stays connected all the time unless I use the stylus and manually disconnect . So I have to manually check my email and manually disconnect.
    I finally got angry enough about it and called VZW , they are sending me a new phone and they recommended I do not install the current update on it . They recommended waiting for the next update . Without the update my email was checking and disconnecting on a schedule .
    So they are planning another update or are they just spouting BS to curb your anger? Its disappointing that the powers that be on this don't know anything about real world user testing.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost1157
    Before I put the firmware update in , mine would disconnect automatically when checking email and my battery life was fair , now with the update it stays connected all the time unless I use the stylus and manually disconnect . So I have to manually check my email and manually disconnect.
    I finally got angry enough about it and called VZW , they are sending me a new phone and they recommended I do not install the current update on it . They recommended waiting for the next update . Without the update my email was checking and disconnecting on a schedule .
    Haha wow!! That's nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by ppcmd
    So they are planning another update or are they just spouting BS to curb your anger? Its disappointing that the powers that be on this don't know anything about real world user testing.
    The VZW rep did not make it sound like there was a plan for another firmware update but he did understand the problem I am having and told me to wait for the next update , I think he is just assuming due to all the problems with the first update . I was kind of surprised because the response I got from Palm was entirely different . Palm basically said it was my fault because I live on the edge of 1X and EVDO and the phone is constantly trying to improve its signal and this is causing the battery to wear down . NOT the fact that the phone cannot be controlled as to when it connects or disconnects automatically. I wish they could get on the same page and understand our frustration .
    I leave my connection on all the time and only notice the batter drain in the 1x areas. When it's connected in an EVDO area it seems to last just as long as manually disconnecting the connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by aurrea
    I leave my connection on all the time and only notice the batter drain in the 1x areas. When it's connected in an EVDO area it seems to last just as long as manually disconnecting the connection.
    I would have to agree , I work in a 5 bar EVDO area but live in a 1X area and the battery drain is dramatically different . My new phone will be here today and I will once again be able to schedule my email checks and disconnect ! Should help the battery life out tremendously .
    for what it's worth, I'm having the same problem. also in 1x and hoping for evdo someday.

the sucky thing for me is that when the data is dormant no inbound or outbound calling will work. there is a message that the phone has encountered an error.