Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay...I've been reading all the information about the update...things that are good and bad. Trying to decide if I'm going to do the update or wait. Looks like if the Exchange is set up correctly, battery life shouldn't take too much of a hit. My concern is...with the heartbeat and always on data connection for Push...if I'm in a 1x area...am I going to be missing a ton of calls that get sent right to voicemail? Any experience in this are would be greatly appreciated.

I don't want to gain better email and loose the ability for people to call me cause my phone is always in data mode on a 1x area.

Flash
    as long as your 1x connection is not actively receiving or sending data, your calls will come through. Even if you are connected, but not receiving data.

However, if say a call comes in WHILE you are downloading an email (your treo is actively sending/receiving data), then the call will go straight to voicemail.
    so unless you constantly receive emails, you should be fine.
    i am in a 1X area now traveling, but live in a strong EVDO area. I turned off the auto fetch feature in email and disconnect data because it seems to make my phone flake out a bit.

I think this phone is designed for EVDO areas. 1X, not so hot when it comes to data.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the replies Gentlemen. Anyone else with realtime experience either way?

Flash
    Anyone else with realtime experience either way?
    Yes, I live and work in a 1x area. I am hardly EVER in an EVDO area unless traveling.. No need to worry about not receiving calls - unless as someone already brought out, if you are sending/receiving data.. I get 95% of my phone calls. Its only once in a while that i dont get a call due to data..

Hope this helps!
    Could you please explain the "Exchange is set up correctly" statement? I work in a 1x area, use Exchange with "As messages arrive" push and with little or no use I can't get more that 10 hours of battery life. If I need to tweak my Exchange settings to improve the battery life yet still get email delivered in real time I would be a happy man. Thanks.
    If you are not on Exchange SP2 and if certain settings are not correct it will not work. That I think is what he means.
  9.    #9  
    The Man 07,

There is another thread on here about battery life after the update....it talks about some Exchange settings. Through my reading on this forum and others...the biggest issue the Exchange Heartbeat and the Server time out setting....talking with our IT Staff and things I've read...seems it's common for the Server to time out sessions at 5 minutes. This requires the Treo to re-establish the connection far more often. If the Exchange Session Timeout is set to 15-30 minutes instead (our IT staff chose 30 - I'mm waiting to hear from those that did the update if it helped) it is suppose to improve battery life because the phone is not re-establishing the connection all the time. For more detailed information....check out the thread about Battery usage after the update...thats were I found some of my info.

All,

Thanks for everyone that has chimed in so far. I'm on vacation next week...we have a few here that have run the update...I'll what they report when I return and then probably do the update then.

Flash
    I am in 1x area. Have done the update again on the 2nd phone with the same results.

I have exchange activesync set for 15 minute intervals. When doing "push" the data connection would lock up (both phones) and the battery would die in hours.

Both phones work with activesync properly however when the data connection is sleeping, I am unable to make or receive calls 100% of the time. Sucks!

Before the update, everything worked great. 15 minutes auto sync and disconnect. Now the connection stays dormant, the battery dies a few hours sooner, and sometimes when I attempt to make a call, I get an error message about the phone. Also, incoming calls go to voicemail.
    Quote Originally Posted by craven
    I am in 1x area. Have done the update again on the 2nd phone with the same results.

I have exchange activesync set for 15 minute intervals. When doing "push" the data connection would lock up (both phones) and the battery would die in hours.

Both phones work with activesync properly however when the data connection is sleeping, I am unable to make or receive calls 100% of the time. Sucks!

Before the update, everything worked great. 15 minutes auto sync and disconnect. Now the connection stays dormant, the battery dies a few hours sooner, and sometimes when I attempt to make a call, I get an error message about the phone. Also, incoming calls go to voicemail.
    I would have to agree with Craven. I live in and EVDO range, but travel in 1X areas. Often, when I travel through those areas, my phone will lock up and require frequent soft resets. It seems that Active Sync gets stuck on continuously and keeps spining and spining util it locks up. It's a pain.
    Actually, Verizon is currently rolling out CPOP to all users. CPOP will let your 1X data connection go into suspend when somebody calls you so you should never miss calls... just like EVDO.

Their network is already upgraded, they just need to add it to all accounts and it should be done by July 15th.

You can read about it here.
    Very interesting indeed, Barnstormer. Thanks for the link.
    that's awesome...where did you see July 15th mentioned?
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinmg
    that's awesome...where did you see July 15th mentioned?
    Math. Verizon started on 23 June and said the deployment would be finished in 3 weeks.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Does anyone know if Sprint will be integrating it's own form of CPOP? That is an awesome devlpt for 1xrtt.
    Sprint shouldn't have to as their entire network will eventually be converted to EVDO. Portions of Verizon's network will never be EVDO capable, so this is their way of compensating.
    but back to the original question for flash...

even with cpop, I'm not sure I would do the upgrade again in a 1x area. the data connection never disconnects. maybe with cpop the calls will get through, but battery life will suck with the persistent connection.

just tired of "phone connection failure" messages

with a constant data connection, does anybody know if battery life differs in 1x vs evdo? if battery is better in evdo, maybe wait till your in evdo land and then upgrade (provided the treo 900w isn't out by then)
    Quote Originally Posted by craven
    but back to the original question for flash...

even with cpop, I'm not sure I would do the upgrade again in a 1x area. the data connection never disconnects. maybe with cpop the calls will get through, but battery life will suck with the persistent connection.

just tired of "phone connection failure" messages

with a constant data connection, does anybody know if battery life differs in 1x vs evdo? if battery is better in evdo, maybe wait till your in evdo land and then upgrade (provided the treo 900w isn't out by then)
    my experience is that when you're in a 1x only area, the battery life is similiar to when you're in an EVDO area (slightly shorter, but not much)...but in my experience, the real hit is when you're in a fringe EVDO/1x area and the signal keeps bouncing between the EVDO and 1x - I've had my batter go from 75% full to completely dead in about 2 hours....that is very frustrating!
    kevinmg, got the July 15th date from Verizon. We tried to call and get them to add it to some of our accounts and they told it they are just doing it in waves and all should be done by July 15th. So we can bug the heck out of them come the 15th if we don't have it yet! :-)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast