1.    #1  
    All -

I have a few aps (cash organizer, newsbreak, etc) installed on my 700w. I just bought a SD card. Is is possible for me to move my applications to the card? Or do I have to reinstall them?

Also - How do you install applications to the card? having never done this, is it an option when you go to install them?

Andy
    I use ZLink.
  3.    #3  
    Okay - I give...

What is ZLink? Where do I get it?

Andy
  4.    #4  
    Okay - I think I found some info on it... nevermind. It appears to be (at least the version I found) compatible with the 700p (Palm OS) only.

Is that the only way to install applications on the SDcard.
    Or you can just use resco file explorer to move them to your SD card, very easy.
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by PRANKSTAR
    Or you can just use resco file explorer to move them to your SD card, very easy.
    Will they still work if I move them? Will i still be able to access them from the Programs screen?
    Quote Originally Posted by jossanaijr
    I use ZLink.
    I think that is a Palm OS app. The 700w is a Pocket PC.

You'll need to reinistall the apps so that the registries will be correct. When you reinstall, the question to uninstall first will pop up so just respond in the affirmative and install on the card.
    Yer that would be easier but yes you can just manually move them, just have to make short cuts in the directory for some apps.
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
  9.    #9  
    got it, thanks, beryl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    I think that is a Palm OS app. The 700w is a Pocket PC.

You'll need to reinistall the apps so that the registries will be correct. When you reinstall, the question to uninstall first will pop up so just respond in the affirmative and install on the card.

Oh yes, sorry.
    It is a Palm OS app.
    Ups!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rogers
    All -

I have a few apps (cash organizer, newsbreak, etc) installed on my 700w. I just bought a SD card. Is is possible for me to move my applications to the card? Or do I have to reinstall them?
    Hi,

Although you can sometimes move apps manually it can cause problems. Often there are registry keys that tell the program where to look for certain files. If you move the app then it can't find the files and trouble ensues!

I would suggest uninstalling first, then reinstalling to the storage card.

Also - How do you install applications to the card? having never done this, is it an option when you go to install them?
    Yep. When you are installing PPC apps an option comes up asking "Do you want to install to the default location?" At that time you can select no and choose to install to the card instead.

I will add, however, that the amount of memory available on devices like the 700w makes it largely unnecessary to install apps to a card. Cards are good for extra images, mp3s, or other files but most apps (in my experience) run better from the main memory and are small enough that they don't take up much memory at all.

Marc Tassin
    Ilium Software
    --------------------
    info@iliumsoft.com
    +1 (734) 973-9388
    ---------------------
    http://www.iliumsoft.com
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilium Software
    Hi,

...I will add, however, that the amount of memory available on devices like the 700w makes it largely unnecessary to install apps to a card. Cards are good for extra images, mp3s, or other files but most apps (in my experience) run better from the main memory and are small enough that they don't take up much memory at all.

Marc Tassin
    Ilium Software
    --------------------
    info@iliumsoft.com
    +1 (734) 973-9388
    ---------------------
    http://www.iliumsoft.com
    Marc,
    I think you'll find that most folks will install to the card instead of on the device. The memory just ain't enough...

D
    I typically uninstall the app and reinstall it on the storage card. Less chance of having registry issues that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Souljer
    Marc,
    I think you'll find that most folks will install to the card instead of on the device. The memory just ain't enough...

D
    i too find that most apps run a lot better just installed on the device cuz it has 64 mb of storage mem anyways, even with all my apps installed i have 40+mb avail since i keep all my pics/music on my 2gb sd card...
    Quote Originally Posted by Souljer
    Marc,

D
    ITA. Memory apps are required for apps that either cannot install to the card and work (e.g. Skype, Slingplayer, certain push email apps) or are needed even if a particular card is not installed (e.g. today plugins, task managers, file managers, media readers). Everything else goes to the card.

I have 60 apps installed and 13.62 MB Main Memory and just under 3GB Card Storage remaining. (The latter will change after I load up more music, audiobooks, and movies.)