Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27
  1.    #1  
    OK, now that I have had this thing four months it seems like a good time to do a review of my now mature opinions:

    Good Things

    - Lookup window from today screen. Thank you Palm!!! Every phone/pda needs this feature.

    - Hard ringer switch. Again a must for me.

    - Push email. Enuff said.

    - Palm's one hand improvements to WM 5.0 which was already decent.

    - Quality feel and construction, unlike HTC phones for example.

    - Form factor. A bit heavy, but feels great in your hand and QWERTY keyboard is good.

    - EVDO (rocks)

    - Great PHONE! Good sound and clarity and speakerphone. Palm's speed dial improvements make it even better.

    Improvable

    - At first I really wanted built in wi-fi. Now I realize I would never use it with EVDO. Actually a built in GPS would be more useful.

    - Not a big deal, but a flash for the camera would be nice.

    - AD2P and a better overall BT stack. Hopefully this will be fixed in an update.

    Issues

    - Program memory. Although not really a constant issue, it rears its head when opening big docs or internet links to other programs. Palm and/or MS dropped the ball here. Maybe PPC Techs can upgrade but we already paid plenty for this phone.

    - Lack of software for square screen. Although many popular programs have been made compatible, there are still only 10% of the 240*320 variety available on handango.com. Like 1,300 vs 13,000. This is the price of being on the leading edge I guess.

    - A few bugs, such as call waiting issue with both meters running. This has been minor for me since I always have plenty of minutes left over each month.

    - Verizon's $44.99 data plan, but this is not the phone's fault.

    Overall

    I love this phone. Wi-fi turned out to be a non-issue and most other things are minor. Palm did a fantastic job modifying WM 5.0 for the phone and adding good features. AD2P would be nice. The biggest issue is not having 64MB RAM, but even that is only a problem for me occasionally. Bottom line line is no other phone is as good for ME at the present time, although I will probably purchase a memory upgrade if/when available from PPC Techs.
    Last edited by levinda; 06/11/2006 at 04:51 PM.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
  2. #2  
    very nice to hear a positive review instead of a bunch of complaining...

    thanks
  3. blile's Avatar
    Posts
    206 Posts
    Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    #3  
    I gotta agree. I personally love this phone. Besides the minor quirks you mentioned I would also add no threaded sms to the list.

    Other than that, great phone.
  4. #4  
    Good review, levina. I agree. After 5+ months of use, the Treo 700w is the best blend of form and features that I've found so far. I'm a happy camper and only wish PocketMonkey didn't drop the ball on developing SMSPro (threaded SMS and more).

    The other good things:
    Slingplayer support - I had an appointment and wanted to see Coretta Scott King's funeral LIVE. With Slingplayer, I could have pulled up CNN or MSNBC to see or listen to it.
    Skype support - I can supplement my already ample voice plan with unlimited free calls (US & Canada) this year.

    One other issue:
    Lack of full one-handedness with built-in apps. We shouldn't have to tap the screen to get to different email account folders.

    I hope Palm or another manufacturer resolves these issues (I really want built-in GPS, AD2P, and more memory) and offer new WM5 devices late 2006 early 2007.
  5.    #5  
    I do feel Palm has taken a beating in this forum which, in retrospect is probably not fully deserved.

    As previously stated, their feature enhancements were awesome. Also, there was more free software with this phone than any other device:

    MS Voice Command $40
    Sprite (delayed) $30
    Cubis $20
    Crazy Daisy (w registration ) $20

    That's 100 dollars plus in free software.

    Then they pushed out a major ROM update in less than 4 months. Few companies get that done.

    The only real ball drop was 64MB RAM. I can not let them off the hook for that. Even if there was an honest communication problem with Microsoft, either market research or just plain testing should have steered Palm to the right course.

    Overall though, I have to say Palm did a pretty gutsy thing taking an OS they had no experience with and improving it.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
  6. #6  
    Excellent post!, I agree with everything that's been said here (to this point at least!).

    My motivation to buy the Treo came from 1) the need for a POP3 email device for work use when I'm away from home that wasn't a laptop, 2) to switch carriers for a number of negative reasons and to get coverage at a weekend getaway where I now actually Get voice with the added bonus of also getting data, 3) a QWERTY keyboard just because, and 4) a friend who raved about his Treo 600.

    What I got was a device that blew away my expectations with everything else it provides on top of the above. I'd always wanted a GPS for driving but the cost always stopped me - I had no idea you could not only use the Treo for this at a reduced cost vs a standalone unit, but that it was even more useful than the standalone unit I had borrowed from a friend a year ago (I now have the Seidio RBT-2010 receiver with CoPilot Live 6.0). In fact, I tell my friends that to-date the 700w is my all-time best technology purchase ever bumping ReplayTV from that position (because, with the right hardware and software, I could actually Watch my ReplayTV on my Treo from nearly anywhere!). And that's not a position I gave up lightly! I knew it would handle MP3s, but playing video (I have 2 movies loaded right now), actually be able to make a VPN connection to my production severs And being able to remote desktop to them, etc, etc, etc are all just totally unexpected icing on the cake!

    Is it the perfect device?, absolutely not. The $45/month unlimited data plan with SMS being charged extra on top of that is hard to take. A2DP support would be great. And the memory issue IS a real issue. But maybe I've been beaten down by too many years of Microsoft on a desktop where you simply learn to live with the workarounds to the limitations - I simply perform routine maintenance on the 700w and it works fine for my needs and my foreseeable needs also. After 5 months, I've yet to have to do a hard reset. I think of the 700w as a mini-laptop and not just a simple cell phone you simply turn on and off.

    (Now Palm/MSFT - please do something about the Memory! )

    JWB
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by JWB!
    The $45/month unlimited data plan with SMS being charged extra on top of that is hard to take.
    OT reply:
    Call VZW and get the free SMS PDA 2000 to which you are entitled with the unlimited data plan. Let them know that you need it for push email. If are like of some of us who don't use Exchange push, that is true.
    Carry On!
  8. #8  
    I've got to agree I continue to be amazed at what this little box can do. My son claims if I push the right buttons it turns into a rocket powered scooter and my daughter now has her own. Beryl, the 5 way will switch between my hotmail, gmail, pop and SMS accounts in the messaging app without the stylus.
  9. #9  
    SC - Yes, the 5-way will switch accounts. It does not switch folders. The latter requires a stylus.
  10.    #10  
    Yes, Beryl is corect. You can add/delete folders without a stylus and switch accounts without a stylus, but you can not MOVE BETWEEN folders without a stylus. That is a bit annoying.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
  11. #11  
    I love my Treo 700w also but one of my biggest compalint is not being able to make a hands free call from my Motorla HS850. I can answer them (from the ear piece) and I can place them from the phone and talk over the ear piece but I can't say "call Joe" from my ear piece and have it make a call. Does anyone else have this problem or is this a know issue with the Treo 700w? or do I not have something turned on properly? But other than that...being able to get e-mails pushed to the phone and being able to look at attachemnts has definatly helped me not be attached to my laptop 24/7 which I have to say is quite nice.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMo
    I love my Treo 700w also but one of my biggest compalint is not being able to make a hands free call from my Motorla HS850. I can answer them (from the ear piece) and I can place them from the phone and talk over the ear piece but I can't say "call Joe" from my ear piece and have it make a call. Does anyone else have this problem or is this a know issue with the Treo 700w? or do I not have something turned on properly? But other than that...being able to get e-mails pushed to the phone and being able to look at attachemnts has definatly helped me not be attached to my laptop 24/7 which I have to say is quite nice.
    It's a known issue. If you really need this feature your only option with the Treo is to get a dongle such as the Jabra A210.
  13. #13  
    Does anyone know if they plan to fix this issue anytime soon?
  14. DJH
    DJH is offline
    DJH's Avatar
    Posts
    20 Posts
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    #14  
    Would an update even be able to fix this solution? Didn't know if it would be a hard wired fix (from the manufacturer)... Plus, the A210 would only do you much good in the car because I wouldn't want to carry that thing around....
  15. #15  
    The A210 comes with a clip, but true it would be a pain.

    Not sure if an update would fix the bluetooth VC problem. The patches that are floating around on the net are for devices that had this feature built in already but allow it to work with MS VC instead. Has anyone tried a 3rd party solution on the 700w?
  16. #16  
    You can find the whole story about the VC/Bluetooth issue at this link. Continue reading past the article to the comments. That's where the good stuff is.

    http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/...03/524289.aspx

    Has anyone here tried installing cyberon Voice command and hacking the registry to use MS VC?

    Edit: Looks like it's been tried before.
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showt...hlight=cyberon
    Last edited by hannip; 06/12/2006 at 04:21 PM.
  17. #17  
    Well just out of curiousity I installed Cyberon speed dial and set the registry to point to voicecmd.exe. Now when I hit the voice activate button on my headset I see the bluetooth icon on the today page turn into a headset indicating the audio gateway is enabled, but no VC beep is heard. Even though the audio gateway is "enabled" I hear no system sounds over my headset like others that have installed this hack are able to do.

    So this is just another verification that it just won't work on the treo. Lucky us.

    For those that like hacking and want to fiddle with this some more here are the steps I took.

    Install the speeddial cab from here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/download.php?id=7396

    Make the following changes to the registry:
    Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Bluetooth\AudioGateway
    Change String "BTAGExtModule" from "BTAGExtModule.dll" to "btagext.dll"
    Change Dword Named "SupportCLI" to data value 1

    Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\OEM\VoiceCommand
    Make sure Dword Named "VoiceCmdEnable" has data value 0
    Make sure Dword Named "LaunchAPEnable" has data value 1
    Change String Value Named "Path" with string "\Windows\voicecmd.exe"

    Perform a soft reset

    Pair up your headset and try activating VC from it.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by levinda
    OK, now that I have had this thing four months it seems like a good time to do a review of my now mature opinions:

    Good Things

    - Lookup window from today screen. Thank you Palm!!! Every phone/pda needs this feature.

    - Hard ringer switch. Again a must for me.

    - Push email. Enuff said.

    - Palm's one hand improvements to WM 5.0 which was already decent.

    - Quality feel and construction, unlike HTC phones for example.

    - Form factor. A bit heavy, but feels great in your hand and QWERTY keyboard is good.

    - EVDO (rocks)

    - Great PHONE! Good sound and clarity and speakerphone. Palm's speed dial improvements make it even better.

    Improvable

    - At first I really wanted built in wi-fi. Now I realize I would never use it with EVDO. Actually a built in GPS would be more useful.

    - Not a big deal, but a flash for the camera would be nice.

    - AD2P and a better overall BT stack. Hopefully this will be fixed in an update.

    Issues

    - Program memory. Although not really a constant issue, it rears its head when opening big docs or internet links to other programs. Palm and/or MS dropped the ball here. Maybe PPC Techs can upgrade but we already paid plenty for this phone.

    - Lack of software for square screen. Although many popular programs have been made compatible, there are still only 10% of the 240*320 variety available on handango.com. Like 1,300 vs 13,000. This is the price of being on the leading edge I guess.

    - A few bugs, such as call waiting issue with both meters running. This has been minor for me since I always have plenty of minutes left over each month.

    - Verizon's $44.99 data plan, but this is not the phone's fault.

    Overall

    I love this phone. Wi-fi turned out to be a non-issue and most other things are minor. Palm did a fantastic job modifying WM 5.0 for the phone and adding good features. AD2P would be nice. The biggest issue is not having 64MB RAM, but even that is only a problem for me occasionally. Bottom line line is no other phone is as good for ME at the present time, although I will probably purchase a memory upgrade if/when available from PPC Techs.
    couldnt have said it better myself. this phone is a champ. not a chimp....a champ.
  19. gibraltar's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    #19  
    I have to disagree with several of the responses above.
    The device is amazing in what it can do.
    However, the implementation has been horrible. Even after the update and hours spent with both Verizon and Palm getting all the amazing features working the thing is still not stable. It must be reset 3-4 times per week.
    This situation is simply not acceptable in a business environment.
  20. #20  
    I really disagree here. If you backup 3-4 times a week or every other day (and you should), you'll reset 3-4 times per week.

    OTOH, resetting more than once/day is not acceptable, IMO.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions