Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I have switched some of the selections in my smart menu to things like TCPMP, Skype, SiriuCE, and PhotoViewer. Initially, their respective icons show up in the start menu, but after a while, they revert to that generic window program icon. The program links still work to the respective programs. I can go back to the menu settings program and reselect the same programs and the icons return.

Anyone have the same problem or know how to fix it?
    Quote Originally Posted by JHoffy
    I have switched some of the selections in my smart menu to things like TCPMP, Skype, SiriuCE, and PhotoViewer. Initially, their respective icons show up in the start menu, but after a while, they revert to that generic window program icon. The program links still work to the respective programs. I can go back to the menu settings program and reselect the same programs and the icons return.

Anyone have the same problem or know how to fix it?
    I have had the same issue. It's kind of weird. Sorry, I just accepted it as a bug.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    This hasn't happened on my 700w - yet. However, it happened frequently on my XV6600. I never could fix it there either.
    Are you using the Control panel to select and deselect programs for your start menu or are you using file explorer to navigate to Windows/StartMenu to move things around. You can try both.
    I have the exact same issue. My programs are installed to a storage card. Are yours? Coud this be the issue?
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    Are these programs installed on the storage card. If so its probably related to the storage card dismounting when you suspend your device. It does not seem to happen to everybody, and may be related to some brands of SD cards.

Surur
    Yes, I think you are right. This makes sense, since i was not having the issue before when these were installed to main memory. After a hard reset I installed to storage card and that is when this started happenig.

Thanks surur!
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    Happens to me too
    Pretty much confirmed surhur's theory. Uninstalled and reinstalled t the main memory and the problem vanished.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
    This is a pain in the but. I've just noticed this too. Has anyone found a way to fix the dissappearing icons. I've done some googling and other forums and found nothing.
    Happens here too, which is annoying.
    I've got this one, folks. Here's what to do (and it made me crazy until I stumbled across this fix).

Next time you see te generic icons, go into Settings/Menus, and then deselect and reselect any one of the Start Menu apps. You'll find that when you re-launch the Start menu, your icons will all be there.

You're welcome.
    Thank you. But I think I've tried that. And it works till you soft reset, correct? I'll try it again and let you know.
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    I have the same problem, but in the "Launcher" today screen plugin. I can usually go to the today settings option window, and select the Launcher as an item to show, then when I navigate back out again the icons are back.

I have noticed also that the "Skype" icon takes ages to appear. This also occurs when I use file manager to navigate to the "launcher" folder where the shortcuts are stored. I think the Skype exe file just takes a long time to appear because its so huge.

Any hints on how to get icons to stay mounted (esp. after a soft reset) would be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod View Post
    Thank you. But I think I've tried that. And it works till you soft reset, correct? I'll try it again and let you know.
    Anybody find a permanant fix for this? I had done the same thing...unchecked them then go back and put them in, but as soon as you soft reset they're gone again.
    PDA history - Psion 5/Sharp Mobilon/Jornada 540/ipaq 3835/ipaq 3935/ipaq 5550/ipaq 4700/PPC-6700/Treo 700wx
    As far as I can see, there isn't a permanent fix for this. I have been doing the check-uncheck little dance, because I hate those generic icons. They annoy me. I have just chalked it up to the way things are, because it doesn't affect functionality at all.

But it is seriously annoying. No doubt. I'd love to hear an easy workaround.
    END OF LINE
    I just figured the problem out. If the program is located on your SD card, the icon will be generic. However, if it is installed in the main memory, the icons will appear.
    Putting storage card programs on your start menu also creates a very long delay when you hit the START button for the first time after a reset.

You can try going into file explorer and going into the Windows/Start Menu folder. In that folders is the "programs" folder, but also the items that appear on your start menu. Try pasting shortcuts here manually instead of doing it from the menu's settings. Never tried, but it may work

Note: copy from the windows/start menu/ programs folder, NOT the actual program that is on the storage card
    I tried it and so far so good. Here are instructions.

First figure out which programs you want on your start menu that are on your card.
    Go to start-settings-menus. Uncheck everything.

Now go to your file explorer- folder: My Device/Windows/Start Menu/Programs.
    Select one of those programs (that are on your card), Tap and Hold, "COPY"

Press the "up" soft key. You will be in the "Start Menu" folder. Paste here.

You are only pasting a shortcut, so it will not be a large file.

Repeat for all STORAGE CARD programs you want on the start menu.

Now go back into start-settings-menus, and check off all the DEVICE installed programs you want there also.

I put it in this order to ensure you do not put more than seven programs on this menu.

Like I said, it worked for me, theoretically because now the start menu points to a file on your DEVICE, not the card, so I think it will work. Pleasepost long-term findings
    Good Luck. Let me know how it goes. I've done that but it still seems to change after a soft reset.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast