1.    #1  
    Hi,

I played with SPB backup a bit at one point & I seem to remember that it gave the option of storing the backup on your memory card in a executable format (one click restore).

Did that restore everything after a hard reset?

Does Sprite work the same way?

I am looking for a way to back up my data without using a PC to backup or restore the data.

Thanks,
    RIch
    Your backups ARE on you memory card, but for some reason Sprite no longer makes them executable. Instead, they put a full installed version of the software on the card. So after a hard reset all you need to do is point file explorer to the program files directory no the card, then go to the sprite directory, and run the program, which will discover your card-based backups.
    ...and one of the advantages of that is that you can select what date you want to restore from.

the restored version is exactly the way it was prior to crash or hard reset when you last backed up.

it can also do a backup onto your computer for further redundancy.
  4.    #4  
    Does it leave any type of memory footprint when it is not being used?
    no, as it soft-resets when it is finished.
    that's the added bonus.
    I found that since I set it to daily backup, I never run out of memory since it resets before and after the backup.
    Quote Originally Posted by skipster
    Your backups ARE on you memory card, but for some reason Sprite no longer makes them executable. Instead, they put a full installed version of the software on the card. So after a hard reset all you need to do is point file explorer to the program files directory no the card, then go to the sprite directory, and run the program, which will discover your card-based backups.
    so after a hard reset you need to reinstall sprite in order to restore the file from the card? that seems like a waste. what if you installed the whole thing to the card?
    You have three options with Sprite.

1. You can have an executable backup created on the card (the latest version of Sprite for WM5 and available much longer for WM2003)
    2. Install Sprite to the card and start up Sprite after a hard reset and restore a non-executable backup. (This is what skipster was indicating in his post.)
    3. Install Sprite to main memory but take the option to install a subset to the card so you can restore as in #2.

I use option 2 since the backup files are a little smaller when they are not executable. Also, I don't need Sprite installed to main memory.
  9.    #9  
    So to confirm, Sprite backup does let you do a standalone executable backup?
    The new version 5.1 does which is the pay version. The free 5.0 from Palm's site does not, but everyone just installs it to a storage card, so it does not really matter.
    Daniel Levin
    levinda13@sbcglobal.net
  11.    #11  
    Does sprite backup your email as well?

I am curious, if I were to do a backup (including my email) & two weeks later do a restore, would it restore my old email (& sync it with the exchange server thus recreating old deleted emails)?
    Yes. It backs up everything in less than 4 minutes. I've backed up my 700w, tried a bad app, and restored everything to its state prior to trying the app -- including email.
  13.    #13  
    I see that when you restore, you have the option of not restoring items (such as email). if I do a full backup & skip the email restore, am I good?
    Quote Originally Posted by RichKlein
    Hi,

I played with SPB backup a bit at one point & I seem to remember that it gave the option of storing the backup on your memory card in a executable format (one click restore).

Did that restore everything after a hard reset?

Does Sprite work the same way?

I am looking for a way to back up my data without using a PC to backup or restore the data.

Thanks,
    RIch
    I use SPB and it works flawlessly. I browse to the .exe backup file and select the one I want. Works as expected. A nice feature is it will turn the phone on (if it is off), backup according to your schedule, reboot, then shut the unit off again for you. I have a 4am backup running everyday.
  15.    #15  
    I tried using Sprite backup but for some reason in my email it made a ton of duplicate entries, which for some other wierd reason, did NOT get synced with my 4smartphone.net information.

So, I have a Treo with extra duplicate emails that do not show up on the exchange server...

I am seriously thinking about a hard reset & not using sprite again. What a mess my email is.

Is this typical with exchange setups?