Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have a couple questions about the 700W and the SD Wifi card. If I use the sd wifi card on my 700w and access the my home wireless lan to access the internet, would i still be able make/receive phone calls while i am surfing the internet? would the connection to the internet stay on if left inactive? Anything else i should know about using the 700w with the sd wifi card? Any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance.
    I have the Socket Wi-Fi Card and when I insert it in the 700W the Treo prompts me to "turn off" the phone. It seems that the 700W gets confused when you open Internet Explorer as to whether it should connect via EVDO or Wi-Fi.

Tom
  3.    #3  
    help anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by TomBoisseau
    I have the Socket Wi-Fi Card and when I insert it in the 700W the Treo prompts me to "turn off" the phone. It seems that the 700W gets confused when you open Internet Explorer as to whether it should connect via EVDO or Wi-Fi.

Tom
    My treo says the same thing when I insert my WI-FI card. From my experience, I have been able to recieve one call while on wifi, but your signal fluctuates up and down so much you miss calls, messages ect. So to answer your question to the best of my knowledge while on wifi, no phone.
  5.    #5  
    hmm...okay. what i dont understand is why would the wifi's signal mess with the phones signal? arent they both independent from each other?
  6. c0w
    palm recommends it but it works fine for me... i'm on it all the time at work and i'm still able to receive calls and make calls with no problems

Devices: HTC Mogul, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, mpx200
    Accessories: Spectec SD Wifi card, Piel Frama case, Globalsat Bluetooth GPS Receiver, Socket Go WiFi! E300
  7.    #7  
    recommends what?
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    This could be a Verizon thing. Sprint 6700 users (like me) are able to use WiFI and phone at the same time, whereas Verizon disables this on their 6700 model. I believe there's a registry hack that can be done which will enable it though. Fundamentally there's no reason why they can't be done simultaneously - totally different radios.
  9. c0w
    Quote Originally Posted by burger510
    recommends what?
    recommends that you turn your phone mode off.

Accessories: Spectec SD Wifi card, Piel Frama case, Globalsat Bluetooth GPS Receiver, Socket Go WiFi! E300
  10.    #10  
    so should i go ahead and get a 700w and sd wifi card or should i wait for someone to confirm that yes phone does work (receive/make calls) while on the wifi internet? is there any more info on this registry hack?
  11.    #11  
    bump
  12.    #12  
    bump
    I rarely use my wifi card but I thought I'd give this a test since I had it.
    I was able to receive and make phone calls while playing a video stream over wifi via slingplayer. I didn't notice any issues with the calls. When the call is over the audio from the slingplayer starts playing again.

I own the Palm branded WiFi card.

Edit: I thought I'd really stress it by using my bluetooth headset while slinging tv over wifi and receiving and making calls. The calls work fine. The wifi connection seems to disconnect while using the phone though. I had to reconnect the sling stream a few times.
    Last edited by hannip; 06/22/2006 at 07:14 PM.
    I got my wifi card and did some testing..

Even though it is recommened to turn off my phone while connected wifi, i turned my phone on.. I received phone calls and made phone calls with no trouble..

I even had SiriusCE going when a phone call came in, it stopped my windows media player and started again when i hung up the phone..
    Quote Originally Posted by grizer
    I got my wifi card and did some testing..

Even though it is recommened to turn off my phone while connected wifi, i turned my phone on.. I received phone calls and made phone calls with no trouble..

I even had SiriusCE going when a phone call came in, it stopped my windows media player and started again when i hung up the phone..
    Do you think that the brand of wifi Card has anything to do with your phone? Because I noticed that when I was on it, I wasn't recieving text messages until I took the wifi card out and completed a soft reset?
  16. c0w
    i doubt it, i've been using the spectec card and the socketcom card. both work fine with the phone on.

17.    #17  
    what if i wanted to have my instant messenger program on the whole day, would it stay connected if left idle for a long period of time?
    It should stay connected if you set your treo to not go into suspend mode when idle. It might even stay connected while in suspend mode. I haven't tested that.
  19.    #19  
    test it yet?
    So for me the connection drops eventually when in suspend mode. If I disable turning off the treo the connection stays on.

What I do to keep my screenname available 24/7 is I set up my AIM screenname for IM forwarding which keeps your screenname online and available. When you are not signed in there will be a mobile phone icon next to your screenname. Any IM's will be forwarded to your phone as a text message. Long IM's are split up automatically to multiple SMS messages. You can reply to these messages and it gets sent to the initiating screenname. When I want to initiate an IM sessoin I sign into AIM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast