1.    #1  
    I ordered an unlocked Treo 700w from Europe from a friend. I have not received it yet. Can I do the following things?

1. Do sim cards work in it? Can I take a sim from one carrier and exchange it with a different sim if I decide to switch.

2. Can it be activated on a network besides Verizon? Can I use it with Sprint?

3. What does unlocked mean coming from Europe. What can this phone do that an American Verizon can not do?

4. If it's not GSM does that mean it's CDMA? What are the limitations of CDMA?

Thanks for all of your help. I know I asked a lot of questions.
    The 700W is a CDMA-only phone, so the answers to your questions are:

1. No - no SIM cards in CDMA phones.
    2. Probably not. The phone's ESN must be in the provider's database. In the past year both Sprint and Verizon stopped accepting ESNs from other provider networks.
    3. Don't know what unlocked means coming from Europe. The 700W is exclusively a Verizon phone right now (worldwide exclusivity agreement between Palm and Verizon) - therefore, the phone in question IS an American Verizon phone.
    4. It's CDMA. What limitations do you want to know about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Etech
    I ordered an unlocked Treo 700w from Europe
    No such thing as an unlocked CDMA phone. Locking referes to locking of SIM Crads / devices on GSM carriers. The 700w is CDMA.

1. Do sim cards work in it? Can I take a sim from one carrier and exchange it with a different sim if I decide to switch.
    CDMA Treos don't have SIM slots.

2. Can it be activated on a network besides Verizon? Can I use it with Sprint?
    Suppossed to be no, tho users here claim to have done so even after the suppossed "stop". Most peeps saying no tho.

3. What does unlocked mean coming from Europe. What can this phone do that an American Verizon can not do?
    Locked means that the device / SIM card is "locked" to prevent you from moving to another carrier after the original carrier has forked over oodles of dollars in rebates for ya phone. Cingular will unlock a Treo after the account is :in good standing" for 90 days.

4. If it's not GSM does that mean it's CDMA? What are the limitations of CDMA?
    Yes.

1. GSM has 50% battery life advantage
    2. GSM lets you swap SIM cards and use cheap phones while doing activities that may be hazardous to $600 phone.
    3. GSM allows international travel.
    4. GSM lets you cycle phones in a "family plan" so that you can always get "new customer" rebates buy buying new phoen and then swapping SMS.
    5. GSM can't use BT and speaker output jack at same time.