Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    I was lucky enough to get the TomTom GPS bundle with the i-Blue BT receiver as an early fathers day present from my boys and I just wanted to share some of the excitement with my fellow Treo users.

I read the multi-page thread by Hobbes on this site and decided to ask for the bundled package from Semsons and they delivered exactly as expected. As you may have heard there are some minor install issues with the TomTom software and the 700w, but nothing that you can't google your way out of. I had my software installed and my receiver paired in under an hour. The screen size is NO issue with the TomTom software and even my tired old eyes could easily read the display as we were driving to dinner (had to eat out tonight natch). I even went off the suggested path a couple of times and was amazed at how quickly the Treo could reprocess/recalculate the new routes. Perhaps the best part of the maiden voyage was when my Treo started speaking the directions out, my 7yr. old blurted, "Lets get this turd rolling!" (a quote from the movie RV)

I'll be giving it a multi-state test on Thursday as I drive from Phoenix to Santa Barbara, a trip that I can now tell you is 424 miles away and will take approximately 8.24 hours to reach. Did I mention that I'll be passing by 43 Chinese restaraunts on the way? No? Well I will. As for now the software is cool, the receiver is super cool and damned if the Treo doesn't just continue to impress me with its abilities, even despite the fact that its WM5 based!

If anyone has any specific questions or is thinking about purchasing this bundle, feel free to post and I'll give you a straight up answer.
    TomTom is great. I've been using it for several years now and have always been satisfied. Its Texas maps needs updating but the fast recalculation of routes makes it bearable. I've gotten to the point where I don't even listen to the directions; I simply look for the next turn and pay attention to my mileage.

The only thing I don't like about TomTom is multistate trip support. I've only gotten multi-state trips to work by uploading regional maps as opposed to maps for single states. It seems that's the way it should work by design but I hope they can improve that in a future release. On a recent trip to Alabama from Texas, I used MapQuest to get my general bearings and turned on TomTom once we got to Mississippi. Texas and Lousianna are in one region and MS and AL are in another. Did the same in reverse; once we got to Lousianna, turned on TomTom to get us back home to Texas.

Overall though, it's a great application and one I never leave home without!
    I plan on getting a GPS soon. Where didyou buy yours from?

I was eying this up:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/TomTom-Navigator...QQcmdZViewItem
    Treo700.us is now WinMobee.com. Soon to be a great resource site for all Windows Mobile phones.
    buygpsnow.com

i highly recommend them. sign up for their forums and there is a discount code as well. great CS. they dont just forget about you after you buy it...they make sure you have no problems installing it. very knowledgeable.

EDIT: aha. i didnt even look at your ebay link. same people. i have the same setup...love it.
    I am there:
    http://www.buygpsnow.com/tomtom-navi...mount-513.html

But it says Treo 700w --NOT compatible. Do NOT Order. Is that just wrong and I can order it anyway? I see that it isn't returnable.
    Treo700.us is now WinMobee.com. Soon to be a great resource site for all Windows Mobile phones.
    it works. you just have to install the 5.21 (something like that) update. the install is not as easy as it should be, but it is do'able

the bt receiver should be returnable but the software is not.
    Last edited by allen2oo3; 06/06/2006 at 01:56 PM.
    these are the instructions that i used (i actually re-installed it last night because i'm currently using my 6700)

It worked !!! After re-reading dreampeople's post I realized I should have been going back to the 5.2x setup.exe on my hard-drive to install the maps. I was (stupid me) trying to use the setup off the map CD. BTW I just got these from TomTom on Thursday (Dec. 29), it seems like they would have giving me the latest 5.2x updates doesn't it ??? Oh well they have to clean out there old inventory, I guess.

For the benefit of others who may be in the same situation, I'm re-posting dreampeople's instructions with some tweaks of my own. I hope this helps someone else keep their sanity.

1. Get your TomTom 5 CD and copy all contents to a directory/folder on your PC

2. Get the 5.2 upgrade from http://www.tomtom.com/support/suppor...D=3&Language=1

3. Copy the Setup.exe file from the 5.2 Upgrade to the directory / folder you copied the 5 CD contents to (and overwite the existing setup.exe).

4. Make sure you're connected with ActiveSync and run setup.exe (from the place you copied the v5 cd contents to), gives opens to add maps, voices, nav software etc.

5. Install TomTom software FROM STEP 4

6. Put one of the Map CDs in the PC

7. Install Maps FROM STEP 4 (this were I messed up, I tried to use the setup off the Map CD not the 5.2x setup file). This will bring up a different menu choice which will allow you to add the maps.

I never could have done this without this group. Thanks.

here is a link to the orig thread: (the instructions i used are off of page 4)
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/view...er=asc&start=0

if i were to do it again, i would get something besides tomtom. i have no problem with the software, but i despise their customer service.
    and this is how i got the iblue and tomtom to work together...hope this helps. nav on the phone is def very cool. if you need any specific help once you get your package let me know...i'm pretty good at installing it by now.

http://buygpsnow.com/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=650
    Thanks. I just ordered it as well as a 4gb SD card. WHOHO! New toys on the way!
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treo700.us Luke
    I am there:
    http://www.buygpsnow.com/tomtom-navi...mount-513.html

But it says Treo 700w --NOT compatible. Do NOT Order. Is that just wrong and I can order it anyway? I see that it isn't returnable.

This is exactly what i have, wife got it from Semsons for 179.99
    Great, thanks. It is on the way. I should have it in 2 days. I can't wait!
    I, too, was thinking of this for a little Father's Day gift. I was looking here:

http://www.semsons.com/tona5usawiih.html

Looks the same but a few bucks less. As a GPS noob, maybe a dumb question, but will phone work while navigating? I travel the western US quite a bit- will I need different maps to cruise between CA-OR-AZ-NV-UT-CO-WY?

Thanks for any help. This sounds pretty cool...
    yes, phone works while nav is on. i usually have the phone up on the mount w/ speaker phone on and tomtom running
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by allen2oo3
    yes, phone works while nav is on. i usually have the phone up on the mount w/ speaker phone on and tomtom running

Me too! I use that Arkon vent mount thingy except I put in on a sticky pad so it doesn't block my A/C. I live in AZ and I need all the air I can get
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treotis
    I, too, was thinking of this for a little Father's Day gift. I was looking here:

Looks the same but a few bucks less. As a GPS noob, maybe a dumb question, but will phone work while navigating? I travel the western US quite a bit- will I need different maps to cruise between CA-OR-AZ-NV-UT-CO-WY?

Thanks for any help. This sounds pretty cool...

You'll need the west coast maps and the mid america map. about 300mb on your storage card.
    Well buyGPSnow.com just cancelled my order because I chose the 700w which they list as not compatable. I'm seeing if they can just send it anyway or else I'll have to order it somewhere else. So much for next day delivery.
    I just ordered from Semsons with 2nd day air delivery. We'll see what happens...

Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treotis
    I just ordered from Semsons with 2nd day air delivery. We'll see what happens...

Exactly what I did, worked out to be $197 with the express shipping.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo700.us Luke
    Well buyGPSnow.com just cancelled my order because I chose the 700w which they list as not compatable. I'm seeing if they can just send it anyway or else I'll have to order it somewhere else. So much for next day delivery.
    oh man...that sucks. i dont understand why. back when i got mine, i asked them in their forums if it would work...they confirmed that it would. they even helped me get it up and running once it was shipped to me
    Just received DHL package at my front door- wow. It arrived almost exactly 24 after I ordered it. Now I need to try and set it up... I'll ask for help if I need it and report back...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast