Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    the first week I had the 700w, the speaker stopped working. It repeatedly must be rebooted. This weekend the speaker went out again, except it worked on speaker phone, except after 1 use the speakerphone menu item would become disabled. So I had to do a reboot for each call I wanted to make.

Anyway, I'm through. The high speed is great, everything else pretty much sux, including the cost of Verizon. So when I get my replacement 700w, I'm going to sell it and get a XV6700. I was also thinking about an SCH-i730, but the lack of camera bothered me. What I really wish was that I'd have just kept my 650 and stayed with Sprint. I could have just bought one of their EVDO phones and all would be well.

I think as soon as my 1 yr Verizon contract is up I'm going to ditch them. I have to admit the coveredge is better, but Sprint's was acceptable, and a hell of a lot cheaper. And their customer service was better. Or maybe I'll check out one of the GSM companies so I can use my phone in other countries.

Anyway, a new Treo 700w is going to be coming up for sale soon.
    So you chose to suffer with a defective device instead of replacing it with a brand new one during the first week?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    So you chose to suffer with a defective device instead of replacing it with a brand new one during the first week?
    That's pretty much it. I mean, I did get the Treo replaced, but with another Treo. Now that one has the same problem and I've got a replacement on the way. I pretty much realized that the Treo was funky after I first used, but I was in Montana for a week snowboarding, and I was so busy (having fun) I never took the time call them up and cancel the service and return the phone. I just sort of did that thing where you hope it will all workout even though you inside that it want, because I liked the high speed internet and I like Windows Mobile, too. I was actually able to use the 700w as a modem for my laptop out in backwoods Montana with only one bar showing (1xrt). My Sprint phone would only work in expensive roaming and no internet I know from going to the same place last year. hmm, my Verizon contract will be up before I go again next year, but I can do without internet for a week. Of course I can just keep it through Feb and just go month-to-month. Dang these phones (any) and phone companies have so many good features, but they somehow miss being great by either being too expensive or having terrible customer service, or bad connection,or bad coveradge, or faulty phones.

Anyway, I'm lucky to be able to make such a mistake now-a-days and take the loss. But I'm irritated (at myself) for wasting my money with Verizon just to get in on EVDO early, when I could have just waited a little bit and gotten it with Sprint for 15$ a month! and Sprint SUPPORTS notebook tethering. At an effective 25$ per month increase I'm paying 300$ more per year for the priviledge of being on Verizon's pass-the-buck (between Verizon and Palm when you need customer service on your Treo. I feel sorry for anyone else who lost out on the phone.
    If you search this forum, you won't see that others have had problems with their speaker phones. It was odd that you had it on 2 phones.

So essentially, you made a mistake by not returning the phone in the 15 day period and blaming VZW for everything.

Ok. Thanks for sharing.
    If you search this forum, you won't see that others have had problems with their speaker phones. It was odd that you had it on 2 phones.

So essentially, you made a mistake by not returning the phone in the 15 day period and blaming VZW for everything.

Ok. Thanks for sharing.
    Beryl = Bitter
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Beryl = Bitter
    Why? I'm not complaining about anything and only asked for the OP to expand on his comment.

I'm also not name-calling.
    I actually had the exact same problem that Jwindsurfer described above. The phonepiece worked fine, then the speakerphone was disabled. Soft reset worked fine for 2-3 calls, then speakerphone was again disabled. Reset again, then suddenly earpiece didn't work at all and speakerphone was the only thing that worked.

Ok. Thanks for sharing.

Grow up.

Heaven forbid anyone talk bad about the 700w on this board. It's a crap product with a lot of cool potential but little ability to use it such way due to the faulty design. Cripes, I couldn't even call people out of my contact list last week as the phone would continually freeze up, even after a number of resets. The fact the phone has to be reset on a regular basis just to work correctly is a joke in and of itself. There is no excuse for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by rdstoll
    Grow up.

Heaven forbid anyone talk bad about the 700w on this board. It's a crap product with a lot of cool potential but little ability to use it such way due to the faulty design. Cripes, I couldn't even call people out of my contact list last week as the phone would continually freeze up, even after a number of resets. The fact the phone has to be reset on a regular basis just to work correctly is a joke in and of itself. There is no excuse for that.
    What excately makes it a crap product? I know in my little 'clique', this is the device we've been waiting for and none of us is trading up for a 700p or a Q, may get one to play with, but not to replace the 700w.

Did you (and others) ever stop to peruse the forums and gain an understanding of Windows Mobile? Perhaps it's not the device, perhaps it's a software issue. Most issues clear up once you remove additional software and go back to 'stock'. And yeah, I agree it shouldn't be like that. If a device is released, IMO, it should be ready for 'prime time'. But realistically, look at todays electronics industry...what devices does one own today that DON'T need some type of update or fix? Hell, I dedicate one day every other month solely to look for updated firmware. Secondly, maybe being a longtime WIndows CE user(s), some of us have an advantage. The little quirks that we experience are usually nothing that can't be solved with a tweak, hack, or some additional software.

Personally, I want to see this device do well. I think all users of the 700w have a vested interest in challenging these types of comments because, at least for myself, I know I don't feel like spending another $600 on a new phone because a few people who thought they knew it all decided to make a big stink out of nothing. I want to see development for the 700 continue because it is a GREAT device.
    I'd like to too, no doubt about it. And while I've been frustrated with the 700w I am not getting rid of it because there are few alternatives out there.

The thing that bothers me is that if anyone says anything bad about the device on here - even from posters who have been here for some time - they are immediately flamed by the 700w cheeleaders as them being the problem, not the device.

Sometimes I think this "Hey, it's a new electronic device - what do you expect?" attitude perpetuates what I believe is a core problem in the industry: that is, rolling out product to be "first on the market" without doing any hard, real-life testing of the product before it's released. This "what do you expect?" attitude just reinforces this problem. And what happens? These companies never really do fix these problems, only just roll out new products that "fix" old problems but have a whole host of new problems to go along with it.

And to a large degree, I have the same "what do you expect?" attitude as well, having fiddled and tweaked a myriad of electronic devices in my lifetime with the help of good folks like those on here and other forums. But for some reason this 700w has just slapped some sense into me because this is one of the most frustrating and convoluted product roll-outs I've seen in some time, complete with this bogus "update" they released and pulled within days when it was clear that the update was creating more problems than it solved.

For a few hundred dollars, I expect to get a device that actually does what it says it will do - without having to pull the battery out, do soft resets, or re-flash the OS.
    I have used numerous pda phones, Samsung i500, i600, Treo 650 and now the Treo 700W.

Had problems with them all. 700W is by far the best interface for e-mail and messaging but runs software programmes slower than the Palm OS devices.

The main problem is that they all suck as a regular phone. Poor signal reception, dropped calls. 700W has the problem of auto selecting Home on the system select instead of automatic b resulting in not knowing if you missed calls - a problem which is well documented elsewhere and Verizon and Palm throwing the blame at each other.

Finally had enough and kept the 700w for data, e-mail & software and bought rgular E815 Morolas to use as a cell phone. This obviously means carrying 2 devices around but until the Treo gets it's bugs ironed out it cannot be acceptable as an all in one device - certainly for business use.
    i had the treo 600 for about a year and i have come to see that all smartphones are to be treated like actual computers, like them every once in a while they might hiccup and u need to restart and as far as the speakerphone problem ill have to say my speakerphone went out, but that was only after i put it in my jacket and forgot and put it in the dryer to knock the wrinkles out lol
    Got Treo?
    The thing that bothers me is that if anyone says anything bad about the device on here - even from posters who have been here for some time - they are immediately flamed by the 700w cheeleaders as them being the problem, not the device.
    I haven't even been here a year and I completely agree.
    Post questions, people help.
    Make a negative comment, people flame or the postings become adversarial rather than about the issue at hand.
    Heck, I was very kind to the OP. However, since the thread is crying for a voice of reason...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with flaming a product. However, this is not the case here. The person noticed a defect in the first week and didn't use the provided 15 days to return or replace it with a new phone. Instead he flames VZW for still having a defective device. I've had lots of smart and dumb cellphones and getting a lemon is not unusual. That is why the 15 day return policy is needed.

IMO, here are examples of valid 700w/VZW complaints:

Palm producing many defective devices (provide data/evidence).
    VZW not sending a new replacement within the 15 days.
    VZW not sending a working refurbished phone after the 15 days.
    Palm not providing sufficient memory and memory management so that reset isn't required everyday when using push email and built-in apps.
    Palm not ensuring one-handed access for all built-in apps.
    Palm not providing a backup solution when the device was released.
    MS not acknowleging and addressing the many ActiveSync problems noted with WM5 devices in a timely manner.

The list can go on and on....

The Treo 700w has lots of problems but a complaint should not be substituted for not taking personal responsibility.
    For a few hundred dollars, I expect to get a device that actually does what it says it will do - without having to pull the battery out, do soft resets, or re-flash the OS.
    only a suggestion (and coming from a current T700w owner): give the Moto-Q a test drive and see what you think. it has impressed me thus far, including the cost.
    Heck, I was very kind to the OP. However, since the thread is crying for a voice of reason...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with flaming a product. However, this is not the case here. The person noticed a defect in the first week and didn't use the provided 15 days to return or replace it with a new phone. Instead he flames VZW for still having a defective device. I've had lots of smart and dumb cellphones and getting a lemon is not unusual. That is why the 15 day return policy is needed.

IMO, here are examples of valid 700w/VZW complaints:

Palm producing many defective devices (provide data/evidence).
    VZW not sending a new replacement within the 15 days.
    VZW not sending a working refurbished phone after the 15 days.
    Palm not providing sufficient memory and memory management so that reset isn't required everyday when using push email and built-in apps.
    Palm not ensuring one-handed access for all built-in apps.
    Palm not providing a backup solution when the device was released.
    MS not acknowleging and addressing the many ActiveSync problems noted with WM5 devices in a timely manner.

The list can go on and on....

The Treo 700w has lots of problems but a complaint should not be substituted for not taking personal responsibility.
    So, basically, this forum is a place to report, not discuss. I think I get it now.
    Methinks you do but this is also a discussion.
    Why? I'm not complaining about anything and only asked for the OP to expand on his comment.

I'm also not name-calling.
    Your comments were sarcastic and snide so please don't try to pretend otherwise. I agree with the other poster, grow up.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Name calling does not indicate maturity and violates the code of conduct on this forum.
    Last edited by Beryl; 06/06/2006 at 10:54 PM.
    Grow up.

I'm sorry rdstoll but you're about as wrong as you can be! The 700w is NOT a crap product... it's certainly no more a crap product than the 700p or 650. Just about every smartphone/pda phone product on the market has quirks as does the 700w.

Face it... you either don't like the phone or aren't willing to invest the time or energy in learning how to use it properly. You state that it freezes up constantly. Funny but my 700w has been working well since the day I bought it. From what I've seen the most significant issues with the phone are likely due, in part, to Palm One's less than stellar implementation... and, in part, to the fact that its running a Micro$oft operating system.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast