Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    Name calling does not indicate maturity and violates the code of conduct on this forum.
    Name calling?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwindsurfer
    but I was in Montana for a week snowboarding, and I was so busy (having fun) I never took the time call them up and cancel the service and return the phone. I just sort of did that thing where you hope it will all workout even though you inside that it want, because I liked the high speed internet and I like Windows Mobile, too. I was actually able to use the 700w as a modem for my laptop out in backwoods Montana with only one bar showing (1xrt).
    This is the portion of your story where it no longer makes sense. You took the time out from snowboarding and having fun to surf at the painful speeds provided by 1xRTT, but didn't have the time to dial *611 to get a new phone delivered? Interesting that you blame the phone and/or Verizon.
  3.    #23  
    Thought I would follow up. I've been using the XV 6700 for a couple of weaks now. I like it alot and it works great. It's much more dependable than the 700W and does not require any of the special handling to get it to work like the Treo does. Conversely, my boss has come to like his 700W he's settled in to the things that have to be done to keep it running smoothly and says he hasn't had a problem in a while. He didn't like the way just looking up a phone contact on the 6700 either required 2 hands or a bunch one handed navigation clicks. The same thing that is an advantage of the 6700 is also a drawback. The slide out keyboard. It makes room for a bigger screen, and has a bigger keyboard, but 1 finger operation is more restricted. For myself, I prefer the bigger screen.

On a related note, I saw in 6700 forum where users have found a way to load only the base WM5 installation and not any VZN customizations, and that most features are still available (like phone, pda, and EVDO access) the only thing I saw mentioned that wasn't available was picture and sound messaging. This resulted in the phone having more memory available and it running significantly faster. This might be something to consider to improve a TreoW, though I think this might disable some of the 1 hand features that are nice on the Treo. Here's my review of the 6700 if anybody cares: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=939921 When you stop and think about it the things these phones can are amazing, they've got superior capabilities to an old i486 computer. It will be interesting to see what new cool features manufacturers will stuff into a mobile device. I'm thinking screen projection and projected lazer keyboard, 100+GB harddrives and pc adapters to plug in periferals just like a pc. long lasting fuel cell batteries would be nice, too. and fold out cork screw and nail file. It also needs to be water proof to 300ft for web browsing while scuba diving. Just think, you could look up that weird coral you found right there on the spot, or call someone to bring you down some more air.

Kupe, you've exposed my evil plot with your illuminating logic. I'm actually an Audiovox plant. I've never even seen a Treo, or a snow board for that matter. I made the whole thing up. And I'm behind all the other numerous Treo 700W complaints, too. As you suggest, these are all due to user error and the phone and Verizon have nothing to due with all the errors and malfunctions on the phone. And I might as well admit, that even the seemingly hardware issues that commonly arise are a ruse. I and a global network of Treo haters have a carefully formulated plot whereby we secretly load up too many programs on people's Treo's to make them prematurely run out of memory, and load a cpu maxing program that causes the battery to run down quickly which then deletes itself so it can't be found, we also load random lockup programs that work work with the same stealth. So be careful where you set your 700W down for a few minutes, you may find it doesn't function properly when you pick it back up again. We're in the malls, on the subways, fast food restaurants, in all the supermarket lines and even in your homes. We might be the friend you invite over for dinner or the psychiatrist you see for your paranoia or your imaginary friend, or even one of your other personalities that you aren't aware of. ha ha ha down with Treo we'll get you one way or another!!!!!!!!!
    Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    The End
    Hey guys,

My two cents. When I first got my 700w I had a lot of memory and soft reset issues. Then came the update. I decided to do a hard reset before doing the update because I had been trying so many different third party apps. After the updated I only loaded what was need and left off what was just cool. Since then I have had great battery life and great uptime. Someone here said it best (I'm too lazy to go back and look up who) "all smartphones are like computers". They really are computers. The amount of things a Treo can do compared to a regular phone is amazing but all computers need to be reset occasionally. My 700 now needs a reset about once every 1-2 weeks. I'd say that is exceptable and about the same as my home PCs.

I do not baby my 700 at all and if you saw it, you would think I really mistreat it. I carry my 700 naked in my pants pocket but I have never dropped it. When I had a 600 I used to drop it regularly. It would keep on working but in time I would start having mechanical problems. I wouldn't doubt that mishandling is the cause of some of the mechanical issues people complain about.

Anyhow, I have a 700w and a 700p. I am returning the P. It still needs to much third party software to do what the 700w does out the box. It's true that the third party apps often offer more features than the W's built-in apps but the W's apps generally provide enough features to get the job done.

Here are some examples.

1 - the P needs chattermail to push from an exchange server. Not that it makes a difference but I get emails on my W first, then my PC, and then my P. The W works well for my needs.

2 - the P needs a remote control app to control my home PC. I use logmein on the W but there isn't a PalmOS compatible version. On the P I need 2 apps to do what logmein can do with no apps and logmein still performs better.

3 - the P needs Docs to Go to edit Office documents.

4 - the P needs an app to summarize and link to the number of messages, tasks, etc. on one main page.

1 and 3 are both tied to email usefulness which is my #1 reason for using a smartphone.

2 is also important for me.

4 is another major reason for a smartphone (tracking tasks, appointments, etc.)

I was really missing all of the games and some other apps available on PalmOS until I got styletap and found out alot of games work on the W. Then I got a P and started trying to load apps only to find out alot of PalmOS apps stopped being upated back in 02 and 03.

For me the W is the way to go. I actually use my 700 as a mini computer and I think I need the touchscreen. I have to be honest though. I have never tried a device that has a scroll wheel instead of a touchscreen. Maybe I will test the Q. The form factor is tempting but small doesn't always mean more comfortable either.
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwindsurfer
    ...Kupe, you've exposed my evil plot with your illuminating logic. I'm actually an Audiovox plant. I've never even seen a Treo, or a snow board for that matter. I made the whole thing up. And I'm behind all the other numerous Treo 700W complaints, too. As you suggest, these are all due to user error and the phone and Verizon have nothing to due with all the errors and malfunctions on the phone. And I might as well admit, that even the seemingly hardware issues that commonly arise are a ruse. I and a global network of Treo haters have a carefully formulated plot whereby we secretly load up too many programs on people's Treo's to make them prematurely run out of memory, and load a cpu maxing program that causes the battery to run down quickly which then deletes itself so it can't be found, we also load random lockup programs that work work with the same stealth. So be careful where you set your 700W down for a few minutes, you may find it doesn't function properly when you pick it back up again. We're in the malls, on the subways, fast food restaurants, in all the supermarket lines and even in your homes. We might be the friend you invite over for dinner or the psychiatrist you see for your paranoia or your imaginary friend, or even one of your other personalities that you aren't aware of. ha ha ha down with Treo we'll get you one way or another!!!!!!!!!
    ROTFLMAO

Reminded me of the old "nanny nanny boo boo, you can't catch me" rythme. Good job!
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
  7. c0w
    haha i gotta say this has been one of the greatest posts i've ever read. pure excitement and intensity! hahaha but i gotta go with BigTreo and Berly. I've had my 700w since its release. started out with a brand new treo straight from a verizon booth but ended up returning it due to the crazy pricetag and then snagged one off ebay. Since my use of the treo it has never failed me. Did it encounter problems? sure it did, like any other phone out there. Where they serious problems that I couldn't have taken care of and worked around? absolutely not! I have installed and uninstalled a ginormous amount of software and messed around with the registry. Did the installation of some programs decrease the phones performance? absolutely! but they were only cool programs. Then came the Q and I used it for two week and just couldn't get back to using a Smartphone OS and switched back. The Treo is badass. Forums such as this exist to help anyone with issues. =)

Devices: HTC Mogul, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, mpx200
    Accessories: Spectec SD Wifi card, Piel Frama case, Globalsat Bluetooth GPS Receiver, Socket Go WiFi! E300
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    I'm a fairly new treo user (700W being my first convergence device) and I do agree with some of the OP's points. My biggest issue w/ the W is that IMO the device should be a phone FIRST and a computer second however this is just not the case. I've missed more calls with the W in the month that I've had it then I've missed over a life time of other cellular phones. Sometimes an incomming call will stop the data transfers, sometimes it wont, and a great deal of the time my callers go direct to VM without any indication that they ever even called!

I'm not a 3rd party guy with software either. In fact, the only programs I have installed is sprite backup and TomTom navi software. Granted, I get some issues while doing GPS navigation and trying to use the phone, but I don't blame those on the W, i KNOW i'm overtaxing it at those times.

This device could replace so many other things that I must carry around but the one that I need it to be solid on is the phone side. Either that or I'll have to wait until phone calls are not a primary mode of communication in the digital age...
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTreo
    Anyhow, I have a 700w and a 700p. I am returning the P. It still needs to much third party software to do what the 700w does out the box. It's true that the third party apps often offer more features than the W's built-in apps but the W's apps generally provide enough features to get the job done.

Here are some examples.
    I don't think listing 3 is appropriate as Docs2Go comes with the 700p....you don't buy it. The only difference being that they are from different vendors. It's also worth mentioning that there are many free apps which just aren't available on WM5. Personally, I would rather have these things exist as separate apps, as I would on the desktop, so I can choose what is stuffed in memory and slowing down my machines.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12