Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Using a 700w Ver. 1.10 and was just upgraded to Good 4.8.(Exchange 2000 Environment). I am unable to use the Lookup Field on the Today screen. Typing in a number or name displays nothing. When I was on Good 4.7 to get around this I would synch my Outlook contacts using ActiveSync and then at least be able to use the Lookup Field - and it would use the Contacts in Pocket Outlook to pull these up. But synching my contacts I still cannot even do that. And of course it doesn't display any Good contacts either - not sure if this was added as a feature/fix in 4.8.

Any ideas?
    The contacts from exchange were "fixed" in 4.8X so that Good got your GAL (if you had one) and your contacts and could act on both, but it broke the today screen contact plugin.

I downgraded my good client to 4.7.110 and use Active sync periodically for contacts only to "correct" this issue.
  3.    #3  
    I cannot wait to dump Good...bloated and very limited - Not that the decision is completey in my hands, but I will vote for managing our WM5 devices with Exchange over Good in a heartbeat and convince others in my Company to do so as well.

So, not only does it KILL the device as an effective PIM but also hobles it from the standpoint of a phone as well. Why would I want to click so many times to find a contact and then have to click to dial it's number??? Much easier to use the Lookup Field and select the number.

I noticed that I also cannot add the "Messanging" menu to the Today screen as well.

I can't downgrade as the Good 4.7 software the production server is running doesn't work with Ver 1.10 for the 700w. And Good didn't even tell me that - I had to find that out in a forum - their support is so weak. I'll have to move to our Exchange 2003 pilot.

Good? No, not Good.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmajewsk
    I noticed that I also cannot add the "Messanging" menu to the Today screen as well.
    I used the HOLD down function of the side button to program that as I do not use the voice recorder app.

The other option would be creating a SMS shortcut on the startmenu.
    I used Good 4.8 and dumped the whole thing. Glad my company gives me the option.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by VZWuser
    I used the HOLD down function of the side button to program that as I do not use the voice recorder app.

The other option would be creating a SMS shortcut on the startmenu.
    I mean being able to actually see on the Today Screen
    Unread Text Messages -
    Unread Hotmail
    Unread Comcast

Once you load Good 4.8 and go to Menu from the Today sceen (Bottom right soft key) Preferences>>Today Settings>>
    The "Messaging" Option for "Checked Items appear on the Today screen" disappears...

This blows.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Ok, I work for a very large investment firm, and when I asked for a solution to use my Treo to get Exchange emails I was told to use Good.

What a piece of garbage. It bloated out my Treo, added a timeout password that cannot be turned off (yes, that is controlled by the exchange Admin, but still), CANNOT be uninstalled except by hard resetting my device, and generally cannot seem to understand that I HAVE 900 contacts already, that I shouldn't have to REENTER them in good JUST BECAUSE the program is too stupid to figure out that having all my contacts repeated JUST FOR THE SAKE OF GOOD software is nonsense.

Oh, and got to love their tech support, since there isn't any.
    I can appreciate all the concerns people are posting and I realize I am throwing myself to the wolves, but I wanted to respond to a couple of things:

-The password setting is set by your GL admin and is not the default GL setting.
    -GoodLink can be uninstalled with a soft reset and does not require a hard reset.
    -If your contacts are on Exchange, they are sync'd over to the GL contacts. If they are in the Palm contacts, I know on the Treo 650, there is a way to restore the links to the Palm native contacts. Being that I don't have a 700W, I don't know if there is a way to do the same.
    -Regarding the Today screen issues: Again, since I personally do not have a 700W, I wasn't aware of how GL took away some of the functionality. I am, on Monday, going to forward this thread (and others addressing this issues) to our product development team to apprise them of the concerns(complaints) of the 700W users as it relates to this.
    -Technical Support. Good does not offer end-user technical support. Your IT group, however, is provided technical support. If you are having technical issues, please provide them to your IT group to forward on to our technical support group. I understand that this is not the answer you want to hear and we are working on end-user technical support options, but I have no time frame as to when those may be available.

I am sorry GoodLink is not to your liking, but as I said, I will forward these issues up the chain.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    do you know how incorrect your posting is? the goodlink software CANNOT on the Treo 700w be UNINSTALLED IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM. This has been documented not only on the Palm site but also on Good's site as well. ONLY on the 650 which is a PALM version can the software be uninstalled. On the WM5 version there IS NO uninstall option. Matter of fact, after I installed it, I went into the install script and noticed that they actually PHYSICALLY turned off the uninstall option.

You do realize you're posting about the 650 version and NOT the 700 WM5 version right? The two are NOT anything alike. Not in any way. The 700w version does NOT see any contacts that already exist outside of ITS own exchange version of contacts. So, for example, if you have an existing Treo 700w with contacts already set up from a sych from home OUTSIDE of exchange server, Good does not recognize nor honor it. Every time you get a phone call from a number IN your pre-existing EX-EXCHANGE server contacts link, it comes up as "unknown caller" and then offers to add that "new" number to Good's NEW Exchange ONLY contacts database.

This is crap. Why should I maintain TWO contacts lists?

OUR IT? UM, I work for a multi-billion dollar investment firm, they have NEVER even heard of IT support from Good even at their level.

Please, do NOT tell me that you guys are anywhere near aware of what you are doing besides selling software that has NO clue how to deal with a Treo 700w.

To reiterate my points.

YOUR post talks about 650 issues, I talk about 700w WM5 issues. The two are NOT related. One is PALM the other is WM5, if you WANT to address WM5 issues, great, don't address the wrong software version and then claim you actually are answering the post.

Good's version of contacts has NO awareness of existing contacts outside of Exchange contacts, that is a fact, otherwise, tell me why I can't get a single phone call say, from my dad who IS in my contacts list and comes up as "unknown" and then Good offers to add him to my contacts (in other words, to GOOD's contacts list, NOT the one that already exists)

NO uninstall is available for the WM5 version, yes, sure one exists for 650, but again, please DO NOT refer to the wrong software version and claim something when it's WRONG on the face of it. I'll even include my own research:

http://www.good.com/documentation/downgrade.pdf

2. To downgrade from 4.8 to 4.0.x, you must contact Good Technology Technical Support and ask to clear a “Login Key” stored in our data center. Refer to the following procedure for details.

http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=83551

goodlink is completely hidden. The only way to do a full uninstall is to do a hard reset and re-sync your regular data back in.

Dude, if you're going to lie and use the wrong software version as an example, at least do it in a forum that doesn't have educated users.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjsrik
    do you know how incorrect your posting is? the goodlink software CANNOT on the Treo 700w be UNINSTALLED IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM. This has been documented not only on the Palm site but also on Good's site as well. ONLY on the 650 which is a PALM version can the software be uninstalled. On the WM5 version there IS NO uninstall option. Matter of fact, after I installed it, I went into the install script and noticed that they actually PHYSICALLY turned off the uninstall option.
    My apologies. I assumed and was wrong in my assumption.
    You do realize you're posting about the 650 version and NOT the 700 WM5 version right? The two are NOT anything alike. Not in any way. The 700w version does NOT see any contacts that already exist outside of ITS own exchange version of contacts. So, for example, if you have an existing Treo 700w with contacts already set up from a sych from home OUTSIDE of exchange server, Good does not recognize nor honor it. Every time you get a phone call from a number IN your pre-existing EX-EXCHANGE server contacts link, it comes up as "unknown caller" and then offers to add that "new" number to Good's NEW Exchange ONLY contacts database.
    As I said, contacts on the Exchange server are synced and those not are not. I also said on the 650 there was a way to re-enable them and I said that I did not know of a way to do these on the 700W. GoodLink does not have "it's own" version of Exchange contacts. We do have our own database that populates from the Exchange contacts. Educate me as I think I am misunderstanding something you are saying: If I read this right, you have/had contacts on the 700 prior to installing GoodLink. These, again if I am understanding you, are NOT in your contacts on Exchange. You installed GL so you no longer have access to the contacts on the 700. Am I understanding you? Then, when an unknown caller comes in (one that is not in the Exchange contacts), it gives you the option to add this user to your GL contacts, therefore to your Exchange contacts and you want to have the option to add it to, therefore have access to, the native contacts on the 700W. Is that right?
    This is crap. Why should I maintain TWO contacts lists?
    No argument there
    OUR IT? UM, I work for a multi-billion dollar investment firm, they have NEVER even heard of IT support from Good even at their level.
    They can call 866-7-BE GOOD or 408-327-7100 straight through to tech support. You can also, if you like, have them contact me directly and I can put them through to support. If you would like this, you can PM me with their contact information and I will call them or I can provide you with my contact information and they can call me directly.

Please, do NOT tell me that you guys are anywhere near aware of what you are doing besides selling software that has NO clue how to deal with a Treo 700w.
    You are entitled to your opinion.

To reiterate my points.

YOUR post talks about 650 issues, I talk about 700w WM5 issues. The two are NOT related. One is PALM the other is WM5, if you WANT to address WM5 issues, great, don't address the wrong software version and then claim you actually are answering the post.
    I never claimed to be answering the post. I was addressing some of your concerns. Obivously, I was wrong regarding the uninstallation of GL on the 700W. You have educated me on that and, again, I apologize. I was not trying to provide disinformation regarding that issue.
    Good's version of contacts has NO awareness of existing contacts outside of Exchange contacts, that is a fact, otherwise, tell me why I can't get a single phone call say, from my dad who IS in my contacts list and comes up as "unknown" and then Good offers to add him to my contacts (in other words, to GOOD's contacts list, NOT the one that already exists)
    This is correct and is the same across all OS platforms, not just WM5. This has been an issue that I have heard time and time again regarding our contacts database and I have forwarded the fact that people would rather use the native databases rather than the one we put on the phone. Being that I am not in our engineering group, I don't know the reasoning as to why we did it this way, but I can tell you, with the volume of complaints I have read here, I truly wish we didn't.

NO uninstall is available for the WM5 version, yes, sure one exists for 650, but again, please DO NOT refer to the wrong software version and claim something when it's WRONG on the face of it.
    As I said, I assumed and was wrong.

Dude, if you're going to lie and use the wrong software version as an example, at least do it in a forum that doesn't have educated users.
    I am not lying. I was wrong regarding the uninstall of GL on the WM5 devices. I completely understand the education level of the users here. It is for that reason that I have no inclination to lie. I was wrong, I apologize. It was not my intention to mislead or provide false information.
    you are a good guy, Goodguy.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Do you know why I am so upset with your software? ALL I wanted was a way to read my exchange email. Had I known about the issues surrounding the rest of the software I would never have installed it. Even our own IT guys were unaware of these issues. Iwas a guinea pig. That smacks of Good doing NO education at the IT level, not just end-user level. You guys put out software that was TOTALLY unsupported at the IT level. That leaves average users with something that is really unusable in their present settings.

Imagine this scenario:

I go to get a phone call, my 700w has been off for more than hour (which is the LONGEST I can set my password from coming up) and lo and behold, i have to FIRST enter a password, WHICH conforming to firm standards must contain both upper, lower, letters, numbers, and takes me over 5 seconds to enter, my phone call is GONE. This is usable software?

yes, this default is set by our admin, but you know what our admin had no clue what he was causing. The admin had NO clue how to uninstall the software.

Also, thanks for the tech number, do you know that number CANNOT be found anywhere on your site? Oh, and if we call the general number we get bounced around from person to person and NO ONE has any clue who to talk to regarding issues with WM5 and Treo 700w's?

I had to HARD RESET my device and then reinstall ALL my programs, not just restore from backup because doing that would mean that I would then REINSTALL Good's software.

Good is bad programming.

You guys should be very ashamed of yourselves for putting out software where the ONLY way to uninstall the software is to hard reset the device.

That is probably the WORST thing you could have done. WHY wasn't that mentioned anywhere BEFORE the installation? Gee, you'd think in an install note that would be the first thing to mention:

"If you want to uninstall our unusable software, you must HARD RESET your device."

Ya' think?
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjsrik
    I go to get a phone call, my 700w has been off for more than hour (which is the LONGEST I can set my password from coming up) and lo and behold, i have to FIRST enter a password, WHICH conforming to firm standards must contain both upper, lower, letters, numbers, and takes me over 5 seconds to enter, my phone call is GONE. This is usable software?

yes, this default is set by our admin, but you know what our admin had no clue what he was causing. The admin had NO clue how to uninstall the software.
    You stated yourself, this is your IT admin's policy to implement the password setting. He can turn that off without uninstalling the software. It is a policy that is set in the GL Management Console. Though, I agree wholeheartedly regarding the need to make it so you can answer the phone without entering a password. Our Good Mobile Defense product has this feature, so I would hope we would add it to GoodLink, though I have not heard.

Also, thanks for the tech number, do you know that number CANNOT be found anywhere on your site? Oh, and if we call the general number we get bounced around from person to person and NO ONE has any clue who to talk to regarding issues with WM5 and Treo 700w's?
    The Tech Support numbers are SUPPOSED to be (though I haven't seen one recently) in the email that is sent to the technical contact with the activation code for installation. I will check on Monday to see if it is still in there and if not, be sure that it is. As for it not being on our website, I can't give an answer for that.

I had to HARD RESET my device and then reinstall ALL my programs, not just restore from backup because doing that would mean that I would then REINSTALL Good's software.

Good is bad programming.

You guys should be very ashamed of yourselves for putting out software where the ONLY way to uninstall the software is to hard reset the device.

That is probably the WORST thing you could have done. WHY wasn't that mentioned anywhere BEFORE the installation? Gee, you'd think in an install note that would be the first thing to mention:
    Can't say I disagree with you. As I said, I am not in development, so I can't point to a reason that there is no uninstall. I assumed (as I have been rightfully chewed out for) that we had that capability.
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    you are a good guy, Goodguy.
    Thanks, oalvarez. Gotta take the good with the bad (no pun intended).

I understand the frustration and I truly wish there was something I could directly do, outside of passing these complaints up the chain.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Goodguy, this is NOT your fault. IF you are truly from Good software and are able to pass this information up, thank you.

As it is, I spent most of today, reinstalling all my software after hard resetting my device to get rid of Good's software.

Your "company" has some software that doesn't do what it should do. I do apologize for venting on you, but as the old adage goes, "If you invite abuse, you should be glad to accept it."

Goodguy, your company is culpable for bad software, or at the very least, really BAD release notes.
    sanjsrik, as I said with my first response in this thread, I realize I am throwing myself to the wolves. I was just sitting back and letting people vent, however, all that would do is make things worse.

I can assure you, I am with Good and will gladly provide you my contact information should you need it. No apologies needed for the venting. I have been in sales for a long, long time and part of that is taking the hits as they come.

I do apologize for your frustrations, but in fairness, the 700, even without GoodLink, has shown some quirks, to put it mildly. Welcome to early adoption. Granted, the issues you are bringing up are not directly related to the device and are more directed towards GoodLink and no, I am not trying to blame the device as it is very evident GoodLink has it's issues. More than I care to face, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.
    Last edited by GoodGuy; 06/03/2006 at 10:22 PM.
    Wow, such bitterness. I have used this software for almost 2 years now, on a 650, an i730, and now a Treo 700w and will probably be using a Q for a while for testing.

Does it have some bugs in some releases? Sure, what handheld software doesnt?

We have always been able to get support from good and they have offered bugfixes in the past.

While I appreciate that the software does not meet your expectations, there are millions of people using this application and really liking the functionality.
    ^^ And I (along with many others at our firm) have been users since the days of the T600. What is interesting is that I found adequate IT support (and a phone # on the website) when calling, maybe our firm has the so-called Extended/Premium plan with Good. Anyhow, for the most part, I (along with many others at our firm) are quite content with both the product and service, it works.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    -If your contacts are on Exchange, they are sync'd over to the GL contacts. If they are in the Palm contacts, I know on the Treo 650, there is a way to restore the links to the Palm native contacts. Being that I don't have a 700W, I don't know if there is a way to do the same.
    -Regarding the Today screen issues: Again, since I personally do not have a 700W, I wasn't aware of how GL took away some of the functionality. I am, on Monday, going to forward this thread (and others addressing this issues) to our product development team to apprise them of the concerns(complaints) of the 700W users as it relates to this.
    That would be great if you could find out if Good is looking into this, or is even aware of these issues. I am going to have our parent company (who has the support contact and manages the GL server) talk about these issues as well.
    I am also not very happy with Good. My battery lasts about half the day. I find it annoying to have to navigate to contacts just so I can call out.

I also found that my fone does NOT ring when i get calls either unless the screen is on. Also why does the screen go black so quickly?? is this a server setting?

What are my other options? ASYNC with Exchange? But that means it's more 'pull' technology where my device pulls the emails, right?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast