Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 58
  1.    #1  
    I just opened up the Moto Q box that was just delivered minutes ago. First thing I noticed was that the Moto Q looked used. It looked like someone dropped it. It had a ding on the bottom left corner as well as a missing cover for one of the screws in the back. A real let down. Verizon will sure hear about this. Of course I had to fire it up and play with it while I had it. I did not however activate it, so I have no idea on wireless performance. What a huge difference it was to navigate the OS. Now I have had Blackberry's, so I am used to the scroll wheel. I am so used to the Treo layout and form factor that the Moto Q seemed a little odd. I can look beyond this as I know it takes a little while to get used to it. To be very honest, I am not digging this thing. Partially disappointed on the quality of the delivered device and the usability. I am going to stick with my Treo 700w.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
  2. Souljer's Avatar
    Posts
    134 Posts
    Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    #2  
    While I love my Treo, and am not considering switching, seems like you blew out the Q pretty quick. Was it really that bad?

    D
  3. #3  
    Looks like someone repackaged that Q. That is a doggone shame.
  4. #4  
    Regarding the overall dims and weight, is there a noticable difference when carrying it around compared to the 700? Just curious.
  5.    #5  
    Ok, I gave the Q another chance. Verizon sent me a replacement. No issues with the replacement. I think most of my frustrations was from the Q being delivered in such bad condition. I like the overall size and weight. With the Q being so thin, its not very comfortable to grip in my hand. What I loved about the Treo was that it felt really good in my hand. Not that the Q does not, just different. I also think the Treo does a better job at being able to manage everything (mostly) from the D-pad. The Q does as well, but I found myself going back and forth from the scroll wheel and the D-pad. I miss touchscreen! I never really thought about how much I actually tap the screen. Either on the web or just hopping into my email. The size of this thing really rocks. When in my pants pocket, I can't even tell I have it. Looking forward to a Vaja case. It does come with a belt holster like the ones that come with the Blackberry's. I will continue to give the Q a chance. I will keep the Treo 700w as well. Just in case I start to miss it.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
  6. #6  
    Good idea to get a replacement and give it a fair test.

    I find that with any of these devices, you just need to get used to input method differences. I was a graffiti expert so it took me a while to get used to a Treo keypad after using the Kyocera 7135. The screen taps required on the XV6600 was tough and I was glad to get back to the keyboard on Treo 700w.

    The main thing that is keeping me away from the Q is software but Smartphone software is being developed all of the time. It seems like a nice alternative for people who want a little more than what Blackberry devices offer.
  7. c0w
    c0w is offline
    c0w's Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    #7  
    i just picked up the Q yesterday and man its hard getting back to a smartphone... i'm gonna use it for a bit but i don't think i'm going to replace my treo.

    Devices: HTC Mogul, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, mpx200
    Accessories: Spectec SD Wifi card, Piel Frama case, Globalsat Bluetooth GPS Receiver, Socket Go WiFi! E300
  8. #8  
    i went with my girlfriend when she got the Q. being very into gadgets, it was hard for me not to get one at the same time. after playing with hers for a few days, i know i made the right choice. there is no doubt that it is a cool device but i dont think i could make the jump to smartphone. i posed these pics on qusers but i'll post them agan for those of you who dont go to that site.






  9.    #9  
    Nice Pix. I agree, the Smartphone OS is a lot different. I had the MPX200 when it came out. That was the last time I used the Smartphone OS. It will take me some time to get used to all the shortcuts, etc. I do however like the landscape screen for surfing the web. Coupled with EVDO, good experience. I am still hooked on the Treo though. It's going to take a lot to get me off the Treo.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
  10. Cartman's Avatar
    Posts
    700 Posts
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    #10  
    I have both as well... have been using the Q for over a week now and I think I'm going to stay with it...

    It's really a hard choice but it comes down to which one works better for me in the basics...Phone/Email/Contacts/Entertainment in that order... The Q just seems to fit the bill better for me in those areas.

    I find the keyboard easier to type on and the form factor easier to live with as I carry my device with me 24/7.

    There are also a number of little things on the Smartphone edition of WM5 that make it work better as a phone.

    Overall things just seem to work better on the Q.

    I do miss the 700w at times....but I really cant say why...as I am getting everything and more of what I need out of the Q. Perhaps its sentimental as I really had high hopes for the 700w and still feel it is a great device despite its lack of Program memory and 240x240 screen.

    The Q is nowhere near perfect... the slight delays when dialing a number are annoying.. and the thumb wheel while neat is definitely a version 1 implementation but I expect that to get better in subsequent models and will eventually become indispensable.....oh, and shame on them for releasing it without MSFP! I hear the update will be out soon though just like it was for the 700w.
  11. #11  
    Gex, good day. How is the battery life? Any word if Goodlink will be made available for it? It's all about form-factor and the basics for me, I am not into 3rd party apps.

    Thanks
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    Gex, good day. How is the battery life? Any word if Goodlink will be made available for it? It's all about form-factor and the basics for me, I am not into 3rd party apps.

    Thanks
    We are supporting the Q
  13. #13  
    GoodLink is showing support for the Q on their website (with version 4.8 I'm sure). We are getting ready to provision one today.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    I have both as well... have been using the Q for over a week now and I think I'm going to stay with it...

    It's really a hard choice but it comes down to which one works better for me in the basics...Phone/Email/Contacts/Entertainment in that order... The Q just seems to fit the bill better for me in those areas.

    I find the keyboard easier to type on and the form factor easier to live with as I carry my device with me 24/7.

    There are also a number of little things on the Smartphone edition of WM5 that make it work better as a phone.

    Overall things just seem to work better on the Q.

    I do miss the 700w at times....but I really cant say why...as I am getting everything and more of what I need out of the Q. Perhaps its sentimental as I really had high hopes for the 700w and still feel it is a great device despite its lack of Program memory and 240x240 screen.

    The Q is nowhere near perfect... the slight delays when dialing a number are annoying.. and the thumb wheel while neat is definitely a version 1 implementation but I expect that to get better in subsequent models and will eventually become indispensable.....oh, and shame on them for releasing it without MSFP! I hear the update will be out soon though just like it was for the 700w.
    gex, I just now read in a review that the Q doesn't have copy & paste functionality. Is that true? I just ordered one yesterday to try out for a few days, but that comment shocked me and I can't wait for the phone to hear the answer ...
  15. Cartman's Avatar
    Posts
    700 Posts
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by masseyc_99
    gex, I just now read in a review that the Q doesn't have copy & paste functionality. Is that true? I just ordered one yesterday to try out for a few days, but that comment shocked me and I can't wait for the phone to hear the answer ...
    I hear the same thing
    There may be third party solutions for this...but dont know and wont be looking as that feature is not important to me.
  16. Cartman's Avatar
    Posts
    700 Posts
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    Gex, good day. How is the battery life? Any word if Goodlink will be made available for it? It's all about form-factor and the basics for me, I am not into 3rd party apps.

    Thanks
    Battery life is better than the 700w...but from qusers it seems half the people are getting amazing battery life and the other half are having issues...luckily im in the half that is getting amazing battery life


    I hear Goodlink support is very good for the Q from comments others have made at Q users but as I have never used Goodlink so I cant comment...
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy
    We are supporting the Q
    Do you support Domino Notes yet?
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by gex
    I hear the same thing
    There may be third party solutions for this...but dont know and wont be looking as that feature is not important to me.
    Would you mind seeing if you can locate it on the device itself?
  19. #19  
    Any succesful reports of GPS functionality yet? The Treo is the device I've been waiting for and can't see myself going away from it. To be able to do so much from such a small device is amazing. But if I can at least confirm that TomTom or another decent navigation app works on the Q, I might look at getting it as a 'weekend' phone.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    Do you support Domino Notes yet?
    It is in Beta right now. We are targetting a late Summer release.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions