Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    @yitzchakis1:
    You are right. SMS triggered push email is not the same thing. To make it work on a Q, you would need to select Verizon's "SMS2000" plan which gives you 2000 free SMS messages per month. Otherwise, your phonebill could hit $500/month.... I believe this plan is free with unlimited data.
    well that cuts out me wanting a q
    So the one comment I saw regarding the memory on the Q is good. That's the huge issue for me. If the Q can stand up to use without having to do resets every day, I'd be very tempted to bag the 700w in favor of the Q. I like the Treo - the form factor, the setup...everything is okay but this is all rendered useless by the constant freezes and soft resets.

Can other Q users share their experience re: memory?
    So Directpush is not available with the version of the software included with the Q? That's not a limitation of smartphone since other devices offer this... Can anyone confirm this?

Chris Green
    Is not on the phone yet, just like the Treo 700w, but will come a bit later in a ROM update. So far it will work via AUTD, using SMS messages.

Surur
  6.    #46  
    I am actually really happy with the memory on the Q. I don't know if thats because the Smartphone edition handles memory better or if its just the Q. There is a lot I miss about that 700w. Granted I still own it, so I can switch back at any given moment. A few things I miss are: touchscreen, a more complete OS experience, form factor, and key layout. Though I really like the scroll wheel, I find myself using both the wheel and D-pad to navigate the OS. The Treo (all of them) all center around the D-pad as the primary navigation. I think the key pad is really nice on the Q, though I never had any issues with the Treo keypads. The 700 series (w & p) is the best of all previous treo keypads. Like anything else, you get used to it. It is frustrating that the Q keypad misses keys when typing. I thought this might have todo with the predictive text feature. Almost like the delay of the predictive text is not as fast as typing.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by rdstoll
    So the one comment I saw regarding the memory on the Q is good. That's the huge issue for me. If the Q can stand up to use without having to do resets every day, I'd be very tempted to bag the 700w in favor of the Q. I like the Treo - the form factor, the setup...everything is okay but this is all rendered useless by the constant freezes and soft resets.

The memory is good. I haven't had one memory issue yet and I have had a Q since Thursday the 1st. Even with Bluteooth running etc, it's bee wonderful. I even had a Good error today while saving an email to a contact and the system recovered without requiring a reset of any kind...

The Smartphone OS does have the same inherent "closing an app doesen't really close it" issue, but I have found that having multiple things open at once doesn't cause any issues.
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    Quote Originally Posted by masseyc_99
    gex, I just now read in a review that the Q doesn't have copy & paste functionality. Is that true? I just ordered one yesterday to try out for a few days, but that comment shocked me and I can't wait for the phone to hear the answer ...
    The Q DOES have the functionality, Moto/MS just didn't include it in the default ROM. 3rd party apps can remedy this since it's totally possible to do. Good actually has Copy & Paste built into the Good client for the Q, so you can at least copy & paste within Good applications on the Q.
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    Quote Originally Posted by brmcguire
    t is frustrating that the Q keypad misses keys when typing. I thought this might have todo with the predictive text feature. Almost like the delay of the predictive text is not as fast as typing.
    You sound like a long time Treo user like me. I am coming to learn that the Q keys are just that much harder than the Treo keys, this is why I think I am missing letters at time. I have gotten so good at typing on the Treo series that I can really fly - the Q takes just a slightly harder key press - and the wider key layout means you can miss some keys sometimes or hit on the edge of key rather than the center. At first I was thinking it's a bug, but the more I use the Q the more I realize it just takes some getting used to, more deliberate pressing of keys. In time I think it will be no problem...
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    ...sounds like seaflipper is really liking the Q... I too am liking the Q

..havent gone back to my 700w since....guess I should think about selling it...just cant bring myself to doing it
    ^Gex, i'm right there with you. I have been carrying the Q for almost a week now and have not looked back. The Q is doing what i need it to do and it's as simple as that. I still am not used to its form-factor and continue to try to find something wrong with the device. I need to tell myself that "lighter is good" and not a bad thing.

NOT ONE RESET!
  12.    #52  
    I really liked the Q, but had to come back to the Treo. I returned the Q for the new 700p. I will say this, It's really nice to be back on the PalmOS. I still own the 700w though (man, my wife hates me). In the event I have a WM5 withdraw. The new P is pretty solid. I personally feel I have all the good features of all the Treos I have owned before. I get EVDO, 700w form factor, etc. I won't bash the Q as I really liked it. At the end of the day, I am a Treo user. Funny thing was that when I was in the store returning it, I was chatting with two other new Q owners. They were like why are you returning it when you like it. All I can say is that I just missed using the Treo. The reason I didn't just go back to my 700w was pure frustration of the memory maintenance. Don't get me wrong, I like the WM5 platform.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by rdstoll

check out Gex and my posts on the "other handhelds" forum.

memory issues? the only memory issue i have is not being able to remember having to soft-reset the moto-q. seriously, i've been using it (Q) for almost a week now and i still yet to find a need to reset it. yes, it's that good.
  14.    #54  
    From my experience and time with the Moto Q, I had zero memory issues. I am not sure if its a WM5 Smartphone thing or a Motorola implementation. I never had to reset the device.
    Brian McGuire
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez
    The Q is doing what i need it to do and it's as simple as that.
    NOT ONE RESET!

I actually saw a normal person using a Q today at a local hotspot/bar in Laguna Beach...that was kind of odd..she was a tall, slender and generally attractive woman who you would not picture using a PDA phone at all.

..unfortunately I could not break away from the conversation/table I was at to go talk to her about it...and a few seconds later forgot

Would of been nice to hear her perspective on the device as she seemed to be really enjoying it while waiting in line for the bathroom...

...it really does not look "dorky" to use like I sometimes feel my Treo 700 does...

...actually out and about (clubs/bars/etc) people are really digging it...granted mostly for the aesthetics of the device and the awesome screen. It will be interesting to see if the Q is easy enough for normal people to use and accept.
    every woman in Laguna Beach is attractive! what a great town it is.
    I am done with Moto phones. I have given them so many changes across a wide array of phones. After hearing that the OS is still slow (as in when dialing numbers and accessing the phone book) I know I wouldnt want to get this phone. I gave up at the Razor V3. You cant have one contact with multipule number, each phone number required a different phone entry. Im glad I tossed my V3 into the ocean! The finger to Moto.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunken_Monk
    I am done with Moto phones. I have given them so many changes across a wide array of phones. After hearing that the OS is still slow (as in when dialing numbers and accessing the phone book) I know I wouldnt want to get this phone. I gave up at the Razor V3. You cant have one contact with multipule number, each phone number required a different phone entry. Im glad I tossed my V3 into the ocean! The finger to Moto.
    You do realize that that is a limitation of the MOTO OS that they use for most of their phones?

The WM Smartphone OS is nothing like that. It's much closer to what you can do with Outlook contacts - as it syncs with Outlook. And dialing is not slow at all..searching contacts is not slow at all...
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123