Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Calhoun
    Any succesful reports of GPS functionality yet? The Treo is the device I've been waiting for and can't see myself going away from it. To be able to do so much from such a small device is amazing. But if I can at least confirm that TomTom or another decent navigation app works on the Q, I might look at getting it as a 'weekend' phone.
    http://direct.motorola.com/ENS/q-app...roductid=30419

Surur
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by masseyc_99
    Would you mind seeing if you can locate it on the device itself?

Havent tried this myself so YMMV.
    http://www.airfagev.com/downloads1.asp?id=82

There may be other out there that are better...(Xbar2????) but like i mentioned..not something i need so i hope this helps a little?
    Global Posts
    879 Global Posts
    Any succesful reports of GPS functionality yet? The Treo is the device I've been waiting for and can't see myself going away from it. To be able to do so much from such a small device is amazing. But if I can at least confirm that TomTom or another decent navigation app works on the Q, I might look at getting it as a 'weekend' phone.

http://www.alk.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by gex

Havent tried this myself so YMMV.
    http://www.airfagev.com/downloads1.asp?id=82

There may be other out there that are better...(Xbar2????) but like i mentioned..not something i need so i hope this helps a little?
    yes, thanks so much.
    You might also try Mapopolis for the smartphone - I've seen others reporting it works with their BT GPS.
    I just went to the VZW store to look at the Q. I really like the form as it's thin and light. In my opinion, makes my 700W look big, bulky and outdated (aesthics wise). I'm still sticking with the 700W. Nice phone though!
    Last edited by MelissaP; 06/08/2006 at 09:23 AM.
    How's the BT functionality? My last Moto phones had killer BT radios.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Deltaflyer
    How's the BT functionality? My last Moto phones had killer BT radios.
    I have had some experience with the Q's BT. Granted, I have only used a BT headset. What I noticed is I can hear the phone ring through my headset. I also hear all system sounds (txt/email alerts) through the BT headset. I like this when I am driving. Good if you have music playing, etc. You can use BT stereo headphones as this version of BT supports it. I have not used the Q as BT modem yet.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaP
    I just went to the VZW store to look at the Q. I really like the form as it's thin and light. In my opinion, makes my 700W look big, bulky and outdated (aesthics wise). I'm still sticking with the 700W though as I like the PDA over Smartphone. Nice phone though!
    I agree with the size of the Treo compared to the Q. I still love the Treo form factor. It feels just right in my hand. I also like the weight of the Q. Feels like I have nothing in my pocket.
    Last edited by brmcguire; 06/07/2006 at 10:08 PM.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    I've had the Q for two days now. I have had the 700w, 6700, wm5 i730, and now the Q. I still keep active on all of the aforementioned forums, for tips, tweaks, to give advice, etc. That being said...

So far so good with the Q. Battery life is great compared to ALL of the PPC phones I listed. Full day with stock battery, a day and a half with the extended battery (FYI- the extended battery is 20 bucks till the end of the month if purchased with the phone, a no-brainer). The battery doesn't stick out too much, and helps with the ergonomics anyway. When I had the treo 700, I learned quickly that one handed operation works the best when you use the keyboard (start button/ P/ S/ center -> I'm watching my slingbox). With the smartphone OS it works just as fast. And the slingbox works great too! BUT, due too lack of touchscreen, remote control function is hampered considerably. But again, the keyboard can make up for it if you know how to use it.

E-mail is also hampered a bit due to lack of touchscreen. Deleting multiple emails is a chore (the shift-a/ arrows does not select multiple messages; you have to delete one-by-one). Unless there's a method I have yet to discover. Plus, there's no option to save attachments on your storage card, so I'm going to probable have to edit the reg to do it. Not a BIG deal, but a disadvantage nonetheless. Also, I LOVE to find programs for my phone when surfing @ work, then emailing them to myself and downloading directly to my phone and installing them. messaging does not allow you to open cabs, but with PPC you can highlight the attachment and SAVE AS then open it. With smartphone, this option isn't available, so I have to rename the file on my device then open it. To some of you that may mean nothing, but it meant something to me so I make note of it here.

PIE is good, and it renders pages pretty quickly IMO. Because of the screen size and resolution, pics are sharp and look AWESOME. The 6700 and i730 have the same res, but their screens are larger, so the Q really has great picture quality. But there is somehting limited with PIE also. I can't download logmein due to somehting with "frames," so I have to use avvenu (also free from the motorola q website), which is more of a desktop file manager, no virtual desktop display. I do expect logmein to resolve this, since demand will be high. We'll see.

I have always felt that the treo's form factor was the best in the industry, and I still do. The Q is not far behind though, if at all. Touchscreen would definitely be nice, but motorola worked around it pretty well with all of the extra buttons.

CPU speed is about the same as the 700. No word or excel, which I may miss one day, and call quality so far has been superb. You can shut the ENTIRE phone off, which is convenient ( I havent had a phone that does that in years LOL). RAM is not an issue as it was w/the 700w. Neither is memory at all. You can set mp3 rintones for messaging out-of-the-box, which I appreciated. I'm still getting acquainted with tweaks, so I won't review any of those yet,but from what I see the registry is very similar to the ppc registry.

Oh yeah, solitaire SUCKS without a touchscreen

Thats all I can think of right now. After experimenting with EVERYTHING I could find, the Q is my favorite, because of its design of course, and also its one-handed functionality, memory, display, battery life, and the overall user-friendly experience of the smartphone os. When you stop going through everything you can find on the darn phone, and use the programs YOU USE, you find that every program you use is on the "today" screen.

But THERE ARE DRAWBACKS to the Q also. I listed many of them. Basically, if you are happy with your treo, KEEP IT! You will miss ppc if you switch. The treo is a great device, but the RAM slowdown really ruined it for me, because of what I used on my phone. But that's not the case with everyone. Fact is, I can't speak for you, neither can anyone else on any forum, and you can certainly hop on for a 15-day trial (which most are doing), but if anything I listed above is unbearable for ya, then you answered your own question.
    Damn Palm and their lack of RAM in the 700w. I can't believe they put 64MB in the 700P for PalmOS. Doesn't everyone on this planet know that Windows is the memory hog, not Palm operating systems?!
    They didn't. The 700p also has 32MB ram, but without multi-tasking the whole 10 MB execution space only belongs to one program, which means you usually don't run out of memory. Except for the screen the Treo 700w and p are completely interchangable specs wize.

Surur
    I have had my Q for a few days now and have already put my Treo 700w up for sale on eBay. I must say that I have not had to reset the Q at all and battery life is great. I took a trip recently with my 700w and that was the breaking point for me. We just got in from an international trip and found out that our connecting flight was cancelled. I was in a rush to use my phone to call the airlines and realized that the 700w was a terrible phone and was slow and locking up as well. The Q just feels like a better phone with a better keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by brmcguire
    I have had some experience with the Q's BT. Granted, I have only used a BT headset. What I noticed is I can hear the phone ring through my headset. I also hear all system sounds (txt/email alerts) through the BT headset. I like this when I am driving. Good if you have music playing, etc. You can use BT stereo headphones as this version of BT supports it. I have not used the Q as BT modem yet.

Since notifications are heard thru the BT HS, I assume the profile for your HS is actually a "headset" rather than "hands free" as it is on the Treo? I wish Palm would correct this problem, maybe then BT HS would work with voice command.
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlepat
    I've had the Q for two days now. I have had the 700w, 6700, wm5 i730, and now the Q. I still keep active on all of the aforementioned forums, for tips, tweaks, to give advice, etc. That being said...

So far so good with the Q. Battery life is great compared to ALL of the PPC phones I listed. Full day with stock battery, a day and a half with the extended battery (FYI- the extended battery is 20 bucks till the end of the month if purchased with the phone, a no-brainer). The battery doesn't stick out too much, and helps with the ergonomics anyway. When I had the treo 700, I learned quickly that one handed operation works the best when you use the keyboard (start button/ P/ S/ center -> I'm watching my slingbox). With the smartphone OS it works just as fast. And the slingbox works great too! BUT, due too lack of touchscreen, remote control function is hampered considerably. But again, the keyboard can make up for it if you know how to use it.

E-mail is also hampered a bit due to lack of touchscreen. Deleting multiple emails is a chore (the shift-a/ arrows does not select multiple messages; you have to delete one-by-one). Unless there's a method I have yet to discover. Plus, there's no option to save attachments on your storage card, so I'm going to probable have to edit the reg to do it. Not a BIG deal, but a disadvantage nonetheless. Also, I LOVE to find programs for my phone when surfing @ work, then emailing them to myself and downloading directly to my phone and installing them. messaging does not allow you to open cabs, but with PPC you can highlight the attachment and SAVE AS then open it. With smartphone, this option isn't available, so I have to rename the file on my device then open it. To some of you that may mean nothing, but it meant something to me so I make note of it here.

PIE is good, and it renders pages pretty quickly IMO. Because of the screen size and resolution, pics are sharp and look AWESOME. The 6700 and i730 have the same res, but their screens are larger, so the Q really has great picture quality. But there is somehting limited with PIE also. I can't download logmein due to somehting with "frames," so I have to use avvenu (also free from the motorola q website), which is more of a desktop file manager, no virtual desktop display. I do expect logmein to resolve this, since demand will be high. We'll see.

I have always felt that the treo's form factor was the best in the industry, and I still do. The Q is not far behind though, if at all. Touchscreen would definitely be nice, but motorola worked around it pretty well with all of the extra buttons.

CPU speed is about the same as the 700. No word or excel, which I may miss one day, and call quality so far has been superb. You can shut the ENTIRE phone off, which is convenient ( I havent had a phone that does that in years LOL). RAM is not an issue as it was w/the 700w. Neither is memory at all. You can set mp3 rintones for messaging out-of-the-box, which I appreciated. I'm still getting acquainted with tweaks, so I won't review any of those yet,but from what I see the registry is very similar to the ppc registry.

Oh yeah, solitaire SUCKS without a touchscreen

Thats all I can think of right now. After experimenting with EVERYTHING I could find, the Q is my favorite, because of its design of course, and also its one-handed functionality, memory, display, battery life, and the overall user-friendly experience of the smartphone os. When you stop going through everything you can find on the darn phone, and use the programs YOU USE, you find that every program you use is on the "today" screen.

But THERE ARE DRAWBACKS to the Q also. I listed many of them. Basically, if you are happy with your treo, KEEP IT! You will miss ppc if you switch. The treo is a great device, but the RAM slowdown really ruined it for me, because of what I used on my phone. But that's not the case with everyone. Fact is, I can't speak for you, neither can anyone else on any forum, and you can certainly hop on for a 15-day trial (which most are doing), but if anything I listed above is unbearable for ya, then you answered your own question.
    This minor detail kills the idea of getting a Q for myself. My Treo has more than paid for itself because I am able to save attachments to a storage card. This is also why Blackberries won't work for me. I depend on this.
  16.    #36  
    Since notifications are heard thru the BT HS, I assume the profile for your HS is actually a "headset" rather than "hands free" as it is on the Treo? I wish Palm would correct this problem, maybe then BT HS would work with voice command.
    Yeah, It does switch to "headset". I love having profiles again. I know there was a free app for the 700w that gave the similar features. I never seemed to like it.

The voice command on the Q works with a BT Headset, which is great. A huge downside for MS Voice Command on the 700w.
    Brian McGuire
    Quote Originally Posted by brmcguire
    Yeah, It does switch to "headset". I love having profiles again. I know there was a free app for the 700w that gave the similar features. I never seemed to like it.

The voice command on the Q works with a BT Headset, which is great. A huge downside for MS Voice Command on the 700w.

Well that figures. I wonder if VZ has crippled this BT feature or if it's a WM5 thing? If it weren't for the lack of attachment handling, I'd really consider a Q.

BTW~ you wouldn't happen to know the name of that free app?
  18.    #38  
    Well that figures. I wonder if VZ has crippled this BT feature or if it's a WM5 thing? If it weren't for the lack of attachment handling, I'd really consider a Q.

Let me try and find it again.
    Brian McGuire
  19.    #39  

Here you go. It didn't render well on the 700w screen size, but works fine.

http://www.winmobileapps.com/device/...creenshot.aspx
    Brian McGuire
    Does the Q support exchange active sync like www.smartphone.net out of the box? I keep seeing active sync and SMS messages mixed in with the Q....thats not the real thing? What happens when verizon charges you a million dollars for all the sms messages?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast