1.    #1  
    I work for a large defense contractor in the Washington, DC area. This company STEADFASTLY refuses to give wholesale access to the Exchange Server for things like Treos and blackberry's. You have to be approved which is a long process and most are denied. In addition, cell phones are not allowed in any of the work areas for security reasons.

What I'm thinking, to make me getting a person Treo worth it is this:

Export my calendar to a .PST at work.
    Email (or FTP) that .PST to myself at home
    Import it into my home Outlook
    Sync my Treo at home

I'll do this about once or twice a week.

Does anyone see any fundamental issues with doing it this way?

Andy
    Are you looking for two way syncing or just a weekly update?
  3.    #3  
    Two way syncing would be nice. I'll take what I can get though...
    Two way syncing might be difficult because when you import the pst, outlook might recognize EVERYTHING as new/updated and thus will want to do some funky stuff with your PIM data. I say give it a whirl, but backup everything prior.

One way syncing (work overiding the treo) should be easy if you select Computer Overwrites Handheld (or whatever it's called for windows mobile).
    Confused?

In your orginal post you noted Exchange Server access. You don't have access to the Exchange Server for wireless syncing or you don't have access to USB sync on your office PC?

I use to work for a company that used Exchange, I did not have wireless sync access, but could sync by loading Active Sync on the office PC.
    JohnJohn
    ----------------------
    PocketUp Editor

Now -> Blackberry 8700c - Treo 700w - HP hx4705 - Sony TR3A - HPdv1000(duo)
    Then -> Samsung-i730, PALM-Treo650, RIM7200, Seimens-sx66, RIM7230, HP4100-2200-1900-3900-3800, Toshiba-e750, HP3700-3400, Kyocrea-PALMphone, Sony-PEGUX50, Compaq-Aero, HP-680, Handspring-Prism w/OmniSky, PALMVx w/OmniSky-BETA, PalmV, PALMPilot
    One option would be to sync your copy of Outlook at work to a free yahoo calendar. I don't have a link, but they offer a free program to do this sync. Then install the same thing at home and sync with the calendar there. Then you don't have to email the PST regularly.

It won't be realtime, but its a solution I used years ago. Make sure this does not violate any of your company's policies as you don't want to get in trouble or fired over it.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    The other thing to think of is that if you are using an Exchange server, you probably do not have a .pst file. I'd be surprised if a large defense contractor was using an Exchange server and not using IMAP.

Of course, I have no idea how your company is setup.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jwcave
    The other thing to think of is that if you are using an Exchange server, you probably do not have a .pst file. I'd be surprised if a large defense contractor was using an Exchange server and not using IMAP.

Of course, I have no idea how your company is setup.
    Frankly - I have no idea what we're using.

That being said, I was able to successfully, export my outlook calendar to a .PST file and FTP it home. When I get home tonight, I'll open it with my outlook at home. The only concern I have is that this is essentially one way synching unless someone else has any options.

I was looking at this Google Calendar thing... Apparently, there's a program out there called companion link or something that will synch Google Calendar with both your outlook and palm - so everything synchs to the google calendar... right?
    Another option, if you have it, it to VPN from your home computer to your work, and run wireless sync on your home compuer.
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths
    One option would be to sync your copy of Outlook at work to a free yahoo calendar. I don't have a link, but they offer a free program to do this sync. Then install the same thing at home and sync with the calendar there. Then you don't have to email the PST regularly.
    This seems like it would run into the same problem that prompted this thread.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by skipster
    Another option, if you have it, it to VPN from your home computer to your work, and run wireless sync on your home compuer.
    I have outlook web access from home to my work email. Can I use that? I don't really understand what VPN is.

Andy
    If you have access to OWA on the internet, you should have over the air syncing ability with the MSFP update. That's all I needed to set mine up.

BTW, I totally misread your first post about EXPORTING your calendar. My bad.
  13.    #13  
    MSFP? I don't know what that is.

I just found out through some guys at work that they're able to use VPN. We'll see how that goes.

Andy
    Global Posts
    146 Global Posts
    Not to be crass, but don't you, as a person that works for a large defense contractor think that maybe, just maybe the IT staff knows what they are doing by not allowing you access to what is likely to be restricted data? You're looking for a workaround to transmit data out of a secure environment into the public domain (which is exactly where your information is once it hits the internet). I would be very, very careful as to what you do from here on out. If your company finds you doing this, at the least you'll be fired, the worst tried for treason...
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Debo
    Not to be crass, but don't you, as a person that works for a large defense contractor think that maybe, just maybe the IT staff knows what they are doing by not allowing you access to what is likely to be restricted data? You're looking for a workaround to transmit data out of a secure environment into the public domain (which is exactly where your information is once it hits the internet). I would be very, very careful as to what you do from here on out. If your company finds you doing this, at the least you'll be fired, the worst tried for treason...
    No, I'm definitely okay:

#1 - It's from an 100% Unclassified network. If there's classified (ie: restricted) data on the Unclassified network, our company has much bigger problems that me synching my calendar to my palm.
    #2 - It's my Calendar and contacts - this data, even coming from a classified network (which it's not) would be hardly classified
    #3 - See my prior post - they allow VPN access EXPLICITLY for people to access their unclassified email, calendar, contacts, tasks and even their personal drivespace. In fact, when I asked around, there are many people synching their personal PDA's using this method.
    #4 - No, I'm not confident that the IT staff has they S*** together.

Appreciate the looking out.