1.    #1  
    I am trying to ID a problem that just started a few days ago. I have had a 700w for about 2 months now, did the update, had to switch IT providers at work (and thus an Exch server change, too), and have a handful of 3rd party programs running on my device.

I have installed the Sprite backup as part of the update, as well as the Picsel viewer (which doesn't work worth a damn for me unfortunately) and I noticed some sluggishness that tended to be a bit latent and sporadic. I got used to it, and generally had about 6-9 MB free memory with my current configuration.

About a week ago, however, the sluggishness reappeared with a vengence. I now regularly run about 2-2.5 MB free, and I cannot figure out why it's different. the device CRAWLS now, and regularly freezes up. I just did a soft reset, and watched my clean memory run from 6.95 down to 1.87 in literally less than 60 seconds, with no programs running except the ActiveSync in the background (which NEVER takes up that much memory, so it can't be that.)

Could it be Sprite? Does anyone else have a similar experience?

also, possibly related? my "cabled" Active Sync stopped working entirely around the same time.

TIA
    Last edited by masseyc_99; 05/31/2006 at 05:39 PM. Reason: forgot text
    I personally feel the update is not ready for prime time. I know there are those who have found the update worth while. I just saw too many issues. Battery and performance being the two key issues for me.
    Brian McGuire
    .../600/650/8700c/700w/Moto Q/700p/Nokia E62/700wx/8525/750c/BB Pearl/Blackjack/BB 8800/BB Curve & HTC Vox S710 >>iPhone
    USB and BT activesync takes up quite a bit of memory on my device. Also, if you start with 6.95 MB free, you must have lots of Today plugins, large themes, or other apps starting up. Can you tell us about them?

BTW - after making the appropriate changes to turn off activesync and pop3 activities, my device is running a little better than before the update. I have a little more memory and the battery life is about the same.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl
    USB and BT activesync takes up quite a bit of memory on my device. Also, if you start with 6.95 MB free, you must have lots of Today plugins, large themes, or other apps starting up. Can you tell us about them?

BTW - after making the appropriate changes to turn off activesync and pop3 activities, my device is running a little better than before the update. I have a little more memory and the battery life is about the same.
    I have only PB 5.1 loading at startup, and pdanet runs in the background (I think, not sure). Absolutely nothing has changed since I started having this severe memory leak.

The list of installed programs I have is:
    * Tweaks2k
    * PB 5.1
    * pdanet
    * sprite (although I had uninstalled yesterday but it's still listed in my programs for some reason)
    * picsel viewer (the one that came with the update, which as I mentioned I cannot run at all.)

That's it. I don't even use pdanet, so if it's running, it's in the background.

No themes, no other plugins, nothing.

I cannot disable ActiveSync; I use the device for work email, calendar, etc. I have tried to run it manually, then soft reset so it's "clean," but it doesn't help the memory leak.

On the "cabling" AS problem, I also reinstalled ActiveSync on my laptop to see if that problem could be fixed, but it can't. Tried a different cable, didn't do a thing.

TIA again
    Any new wallpapers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl

How can you "turn off" Activesync? I thought it was always running even when the Treo was not docked, and if I do actually close it, it comes back later all on it's own. So how do I turn it off?

Thanks,
    Tom
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomBoisseau
    How can you "turn off" Activesync? I thought it was always running even when the Treo was not docked, and if I do actually close it, it comes back later all on it's own. So how do I turn it off?

Thanks,
    Tom
    you can turn it to sync manually, that is the only way I know of
    Tom, something is taking up all of that memory.

Tell me what you have in your Startup folder.

Do the Axim fix (pinned on this forum).
    Disable PB and move PDAnet out of your Startup folder (you can put it back or start it when you need it).
    Apply a default Theme.
    Restart your device and tell me if you don't have >11MB free. If not, there is something else going on.

Post a picture of your Today screen.
  9.    #9  
    how do i disable PB? the only thing I know of is to uninstall.

you have to mean something else, right?

Also, doing the Axim fix means my device is not OTA syncing anymore, which is what I need. The concept of turning ActiveSync off doesn't work for me.
  10.    #10  
    I partially figured this out - Voice Command was on!

I don't know how in the world a program that is included with a device would be allowed to use up 80% of the available system resources, but by disabling it then soft resetting, I went from about 1.5 - 2 MB free to starting out with 9.6 MB. Of course, it promptly dropped before my eyes once again down to 5.6 MB, but it is definitely peppier than before.

And yes, I removed pdanet from the startup folder, and applied a default theme, rather than the PB theme. I still have PB running because I don't know how to disable it - it is not in the startup folder.

I still don't understand why the memory drops from x to y literally before my eyes ... but I will tell you what - I am seriously eyeing that Q - smaller OS footprint and greater user-accessible memory - sounds like a treater device to me. How often do I need to create a spreadsheet on my Treo, for god's sake?

I will keep watching ...
    hmmm...is it really voice command? Mine leaks down to 3 or 4, then up to 12 after a soft reset. It just leaks no matter what.
    Voice Command eats up 2.3mb on my device. I don't think it's your entire problem, but it is a memory hog.
    ahhh - VC. It is definitely a hog. I keep forgetting about it on our devices because it caused so much trouble for me on my XV6600.

Disable PocketBreeze by just unchecking it from the Today Plugin screen.
  14.    #14  
    I just disabled PB (thanks beryl) and started out with 13.93 free, the most I have ever seen on my device. However, my hopes were dashed (which is good, because I love PB too much to get rid of it) when it dropped within 30 seconds to 7.55 MB free. The only thing that happend was the inevitable AS connection.

putting PB back on dropped me to 6.93, which is about where I had run previously.

I am still checking out that Q. The more I read, the more I think it is more suited for my needs. Haven't quite figured out how to copy & paste without a stylus, but that is what the return periods are for, right?

I will give my replacement 700w a chance (when it arrives) before I make any decisions. Maybe my unit is just a lemon.
    Are you saying AS is starting by itself or was that after you connected to your pc?
    If it's started by itself you will want to perform the steps to change AS scheduling to manual. See this thread for instructions. Scroll down where is says "The all important Solution"

http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showt...8&page=1&pp=20

Note that this also solves the battery life issue that many were seeing after the update.
  16.    #16  
    thanks, hannip, but as I previously indicated, I use Active Sync wirelessly and it's a must for syncing with my exchange server. I want MSFT to make a product that works as advertised - if I have to set my syncing to manual, I might as well just call my secretary for messages ...